Wanted : bridge hammock UK

Looking for a bridge hammock, cannot find and in the uk, trying to buy before I make my own....

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Why not make your own? I have made a couple now and with a little planning its not super hard. A lot of the Bridge Masters here have really made the hard work easy.
    What are you looking for in a bridge. PM me and we can talk
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

To be honest, time, sourcing materials, and my massive lack of sewing, fabric and design skills will probally only see me get halfway through the project.

I've read some great DIY threads and watched some good videos and the attention to detail that goes into a DIY hammock is immense...

So this is why my first option is for a 2nd hand bridge from the US, as they're very rare in the UK.

my second option is probally save up for a new unit direct some a US supplier.

And last attempt my own diy project....

As for what im looking for, well i have a gathered end hammock (DD hammock) and its very nice, but i just dont seem to get on that well with it. Shoulder squeeze and even trying to sleep across the diagonal i cant get flat.

So im looking for a flater sleeping system, where i can sleep on my side or front.

Hammock
    BMBH /WBBB 1.7DBL
    Tarp
    WB SF / OES MC DLX
    Insulation
    JRB down TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    WS + dutchstuff
    Hi Mark,

I'm in the UK, and a 'BMBH' user, though I'm afraid I'm in no great rush to sell - sorry. I just thought I'd reply on your aspirations for the hammock - particularly in hoping that it will alleviate shoulder squeeze. A lot of threads on here will talk about bridge hammocks being worse than gathered-end for shoulder squeeze.

Recently I put my BMBH and WBBB up side by side in the cellar, and moved from one to the other several times to try and better understand some of the commonly-mentioned 'problems' with each. Pros and cons to each there's no doubt, but when lying on my back I definitely felt an appreciable 'shoulder squeeze' with the bridge that wasn't there with the blackbird.

Having said that it isn't a big deal for me. I used it for a couple of nights last weekend, and having gone to "bed" about 11pm, slept straight through, lying on my back, with 'shoulder squeeze' until 5am - I don't think I moved a muscle during that time, so I can't really complain about that. I'm also pretty broad across the shoulders - about 24/25" (62-63cms).

I initially bought the bridge because (having used a DD) I thought I'd want to side sleep more - as I do in a bed. Certainly side sleeping is pretty good in the bridge, but I'm not sure I'd manage to sleep on my front at all, and more surprisingly to me I think, I find that in a hammock side sleeping just doesn't seem to be as important as I thought it would be.

As with others on here, I also find the bridge a bit less 'fussy' when it comes to set-up. If I'm a few degrees up or down on hang angle, or one end a little higher than the other, it doesn't seem to make much difference to me, and I'll still get a good night's sleep.

So, what's the point of all this... ... I had my BMBH modified by 2QzQ to have the bug net zipped as opposed to the omni (velcro) tape - which I just couldn't get on with. However (no criticism whatsoever of the 2QZQ workmanship - which is 1st class) it's not a double-pull zip as with the new BMBHs. So I might be interested in passing this on, and getting one of the new ones when they're back in stock with the Jacks. If you'd like to PM me with a sort of rough price range you were hoping to pay, then we might be able to work something out?

Cheers

D

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donmacn View Post
    it's not a double-pull zip
    Dude that is such an easy fix. if its a small zipper then its probably a #3 if its bigger then a #5. Pull the old off and put new on. Grizz shows how to install a zipper pull in his Rhino videos.

Hammock
    BMBH /WBBB 1.7DBL
    Tarp
    WB SF / OES MC DLX
    Insulation
    JRB down TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    WS + dutchstuff
    hi Jazilla,

If by 'pull off the old' and 'put on the new' you mean anything involving a sewing machine, then I'm afraid I'm with Mark! Not been near one for a few decades, and while I don't doubt I could manage, it's just not going to happen in the next little while.

Can't get to those Grizz vids just now 'cos it's late and the kids are asleep, but I'll have a look soon, and see what's involved. So thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers

D

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by donmacn View Post
    hi Jazilla,

If by 'pull off the old' and 'put on the new' you mean anything involving a sewing machine, then I'm afraid I'm with Mark! Not been near one for a few decades, and while I don't doubt I could manage, it's just not going to happen in the next little while.

Can't get to those Grizz vids just now 'cos it's late and the kids are asleep, but I'll have a look soon, and see what's involved. So thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers

D
    Oh no it doesn't involve a machine at all. It involves taking the pulls off and putting new pulls on not removing the zipper

Hammock
    TC jungle, HB triple L Owl, TTTM
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Webbing

Worth get a BMBH sent out to OZ??

[QUOTE=donmacn;587196]Hi Mark,

I'm in the UK, and a 'BMBH' user, though I'm afraid I'm in no great rush to sell - sorry. I just thought I'd reply on your aspirations for the hammock - particularly in hoping that it will alleviate shoulder squeeze. A lot of threads on here will talk about bridge hammocks being worse than gathered-end for shoulder squeeze.

Recently I put my BMBH and WBBB up side by side in the cellar, and moved from one to the other several times to try and better understand some of the commonly-mentioned 'problems' with each. Pros and cons to each there's no doubt, but when lying on my back I definitely felt an appreciable 'shoulder squeeze' with the bridge that wasn't there with the blackbird.

Having said that it isn't a big deal for me. I used it for a couple of nights last weekend, and having gone to "bed" about 11pm, slept straight through, lying on my back, with 'shoulder squeeze' until 5am - I don't think I moved a muscle during that time, so I can't really complain about that. I'm also pretty broad across the shoulders - about 24/25" (62-63cms).

I initially bought the bridge because (having used a DD) I thought I'd want to side sleep more - as I do in a bed. Certainly side sleeping is pretty good in the bridge, but I'm not sure I'd manage to sleep on my front at all, and more surprisingly to me I think, I find that in a hammock side sleeping just doesn't seem to be as important as I thought it would be.

As with others on here, I also find the bridge a bit less 'fussy' when it comes to set-up. If I'm a few degrees up or down on hang angle, or one end a little higher than the other, it doesn't seem to make much difference to me, and I'll still get a good night's sleep.

So, what's the point of all this... ... I had my BMBH modified by 2QzQ to have the bug net zipped as opposed to the omni (velcro) tape - which I just couldn't get on with. However (no criticism whatsoever of the 2QZQ workmanship - which is 1st class) it's not a double-pull zip as with the new BMBHs. So I might be interested in passing this on, and getting one of the new ones when they're back in stock with the Jacks. If you'd like to PM me with a sort of rough price range you were hoping to pay, then we might be able to work something out?

Cheers

I have a WBBB and I agree very little sholder squeeze in it, but I have real calf ridge and knee problems with this hammock also air flow not the best in it.(will have to sell it I think not the hammock for me)

I have been considering a BMBH as a replacment, I'm about 172ish cm tall and take a large in shirts about 100cm. In short Im a mid size sort of person.

I like to sleep flat back or side be can be restless getting to sleep but don't move much once I'm out.

Any bath tube affect when in BMBH also hows the air flow in it, hoooot here most of the most of the year.

I would welcome any comments you have helps when I'm have to buy gear without a chance see or test it first

thanks

Hammock
    BMBH /WBBB 1.7DBL
    Tarp
    WB SF / OES MC DLX
    Insulation
    JRB down TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    WS + dutchstuff
    Jazilla - thanks for that - will definitely need to research 'zippers' now, or watch the Grizz vids.

I-NT

Yea - I didn't mention the calf/ridge thing in the BB because the OP hadn't mentioned it, and because it's well covered elsewhere. I'm still tinkering to try and find my way round that.

The way I see this is that I'll use my BB if I'm booked to go out on a wet/windy weekend, when I can bring the tarp right down and not worry about the bridge poles. Better/less windy forecast and I'll take the bridge.

I would have said I'm a bit restless to start with too, but not in my hammocks. There's a bit of room in the BMBH, and can be made even better using a pad/self-inflating mattress in the sleeve. That's really easy to do, and as it's 'captured' in there it doesn't slide about and feels like an integral part of the hammock.

I'm afraid I'm not sure what you mean by 'bath tub' effect? At a guess, that you're slung low in the hammock and there's not much airflow, so it gets too warm? Getting enough airflow isn't much of an issue in the UK usually! But depending on your temps, using a pad would allow you to do without an UQ, helping to keep you cooler, and because of the 'cat' cut hammock sides, they come reasonably low down by your sides.

(Sorry to hijack Mark's post with more general stuff) Happy to go PM with more comments? Maybe get some specific pics for you if that would help you decide?

Cheers

D

• + New Posts