Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images

IX and Climashield UQ combination Question

I'm preparing to make my first UQ. I'm thinking of using two layers of 6.0 Climashield (1-2" loft/layer) sandwiched along with three layers of IX (one on top, one in the middle and one on the bottom). Will this UQ to be capable of combating 20-0* weather? Hopefully this combination will give the IX airspace to maximize its efficiency. Its weight will be around 3.6 lbs once its all sewn together with the top and bottom ripstock nylon lining and accessories, which is a bit of a concern to me presently. Anothrer option would be to use 1 layer of Climashield and 2 layers of IX insullation which would reduce the weight to a bit over 2 lbs, but I don't know if it would be enough to keep you warm. Any ideas on this combination?

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    what i would do is.....

one layer of the 6oz CL and one layer of the IX ... that should take you down to 20F easy ... maybe lower
    2 layers of 6oz CL is a little overkill ... and adding 3 layers of IX to it is WAY overkill LOL
    6oz CL should be good to 25-30F by itself and the IX should give you more head room ... to get more out of it make a undercover ... very easy to make and will add more warmth to your setup and help protect from wind and rain/snow ... and can be left at home in nicer weather to save weight
    i would also put the IX on the bottom ... that way the hot air will be trapped in the CL in between you and the IX ... never tried it myself like that but maybe someone will chime in that has a quilt made like this ...
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by G.L.P. View Post
    what i would do is.....

one layer of the 6oz CL and one layer of the IX ... that should take you down to 20F easy ... maybe lower
    2 layers of 6oz CL is a little overkill ... and adding 3 layers of IX to it is WAY overkill LOL
    6oz CL should be good to 25-30F by itself and the IX should give you more head room ... to get more out of it make a undercover ... very easy to make and will add more warmth to your setup and help protect from wind and rain/snow ... and can be left at home in nicer weather to save weight
    i would also put the IX on the bottom ... that way the hot air will be trapped in the CL in between you and the IX ... never tried it myself like that but maybe someone will chime in that has a quilt made like this ...
    Hey, if your offering to make one I would be more than happy to go ahead and test that out for you. I would write up a nice long review and i'll even throw in some pictures. JK, but seriously G.L.P. your idea sounds like the way to go. It might be possible to mock something up with safety pins and test it out before committing to sewing it all up.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    what i would do is.....

What he said. While We don't have those kind of temps down here (often, thank goodness) I have taken a 5oz/yd Climashield + single layer IX UQ into the low 30's with no problem and I have taken a single 6oz/yd Climashield UQ into the same temps (low 30's) with no problem either. I would not worry about adding the 6oz CS with a single layer of IX and being good to the range you are thinking about. Just remember - Don't put your IX/CS quilt in the dryer (don't ask me why - let's just say that IX has a low melting point)

Best of luck!
    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

DONATE TO THE GOAT ISLAND FIRE PIT FUND

Hammock
    WB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB superfly
    Insulation
    DIY-900 down UQ-TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie-
    Images
    what i would do is.....

Thanks for the advice, I'm new at this and I guess I come in with a different perspective from my background. So please excuse my ignorance but what exactly is an undercover? And what material(s) would you recommend to make it? Would you recommend using The ripstock nylon and a sheet of IX? Would you recommend making an TQ? If so in what format? Presently I'm using my sleeping bag.
    Thanks again?

Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_ray_ray View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I'm new at this and I guess I come in with a different perspective from my background. So please excuse my ignorance but what exactly is an undercover? And what material(s) would you recommend to make it? Would you recommend using The ripstock nylon and a sheet of IX? Would you recommend making an TQ? If so in what format? Presently I'm using my sleeping bag.
    Thanks again?
    A undercover can be something like this: http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/ham...cessories.html

I have a JRB Undercover which covers my JRB UQ. The undercover is made of a breathable material which can best be described as the same type of stuff used to make DriDucks Rain Gear. It has some long name, but I can't remember off hand what it is.

The JRB one that I have is DWR which allows it to breath, but will keep most water (Fog, Dew, rain splash) from getting to the UQ.

Images
    Take some pics as you make this and share!

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous View Post
    Hey, if your offering to make one I would be more than happy to go ahead and test that out for you. I would write up a nice long review and i'll even throw in some pictures. JK, but seriously G.L.P. your idea sounds like the way to go. It might be possible to mock something up with safety pins and test it out before committing to sewing it all up.
    i could be done but might not work as well as sewing it
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    I did a PLUQ with removable insert capability, one of the inserts made was a cut to fit piece of IX and Lofted Poly batting.... the IX was at bottom, Poly closer to me. So it would go PL single layer, Poly Bat, IX, PL. Tell you the truth, in 30 degree I had to peal out of the base layer I wore over my shorts, so Id say the combo with "light" base layers would easily achieve 20, but I do like the cold temp. At 30, absolutely NO CBS.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

I made an overkill underquilt with 2 layers of Insultex, 2 layers of 5oz climashield, and it's 48 x 60. Completely warm to the mid 30's so far, but the bulk is just rediculous. I'm going to take it apart and rebuild it with only 1 layer of IX.

I can tell you that 1 layer of 5oz for me was only comfortable down to 40F. I have limited experience with IX, so not sure of adding that under the insulation would drop the comfort rating into the 20F range. I'll be experimenting here during the cold/rainy season and post what I find.

K

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast