Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    Thanks, I'll look into it. I though of making a basic rectangular pouch and putting a support bar across it to hang holster on. The ones I use slip of the belt rather than having the belt slipped through them. As attempt at political correctness, I’ve also considered making a fabric cover and flap to go over the holster while wearing it so as to not make it that obvious that I’m carrying a gun. That would be a concession of sorts to the folks that get their knickers twisted up by the sight of a firearm. Of course, that would require a CCW, but then I have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbogg View Post
    I put my Ruger GP-100 in a holster on my ridgeline when soloing or out with Littlebogg. We had some two legged predators invade our camp in May and found a big surprise waiting for them. They were some local guys that for some reason thought they owned the local area. We exchanged kind words and showed each others our firearms. They left we broke camp and moved on down the way and didn’t see them the rest of the trip. We had no run-ins with the wild life.

Bigbogg
    I've resisted the temptation of hanging a weapon from the ridge line because I suspected something like a GP-100 or Redhawk would be too heavy (too much sag). I’m in the process of designing a peak bag to accommodate a handgun and light. While the incident you mentioned is the first time I’ve actually heard of someone coming into a camp like that, it supports my contention that the further out in the sticks you are, the safer you are. At that point it’s either bear or pigs (in the south). It also lends supports to the old thought that just because you’re not paranoid doesn’t mean “they” aren’t out to get you. Better to have and not need than need and not have.

Hammock
    WB Traveler Single 1.7/WBBB DBL 1.1
    Tarp
    ZPack CF/Superfly
    Insulation
    Mt Wsh 3/MMG Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Armadillo View Post
    I've resisted the temptation of hanging a weapon from the ridge line because I suspected something like a GP-100 or Redhawk would be too heavy (too much sag). I’m in the process of designing a peak bag to accommodate a handgun and light. While the incident you mentioned is the first time I’ve actually heard of someone coming into a camp like that, it supports my contention that the further out in the sticks you are, the safer you are. At that point it’s either bear or pigs (in the south). It also lends supports to the old thought that just because you’re not paranoid doesn’t mean “they” aren’t out to get you. Better to have and not need than need and not have.
    Look forward to seeing your modified peak bag when you finish it.

SN
    Please visit my AmJustDuane YouTube channel

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    This discussion is really less about why or what one might carry and is more about where you might find a way to store a firearm in your hammock.
    Thanks.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    ENO double
    Suspension
    Whoopie&TreeStraps
    Images
    i don't carry in the woods because my state will not let me in state parks but federal parks will let me carry in theirs with my Florida CWP...makes sense right?

I've carried a Beretta .25 ACP at times in an old Nintendo Gameboy case. That case has a velcro lid and it will hang nicely on a ridgeline.

Lately, my main carry gun has been either a G19C or a S&W M&P .40 compact in a fanny pack that is designed for conceal carry. The fanny pack doesnt scream "gun". I have hung the fanny pack from the ridge line or have just placed the fanny pack between my legs in the hammock. Now that I have a HH, I'll look into using the loop in the beak somehow. Carrying a gun is like insurance, it's good to have if needed, but hope one never needs it.

SMSP

Hammock
    ENO double
    Suspension
    Whoopie&TreeStraps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SMSP View Post
    I've carried a Beretta .25 ACP at times in an old Nintendo Gameboy case. That case has a velcro lid and it will hang nicely on a ridgeline.

Lately, my main carry gun has been either a G19C or a S&W M&P .40 compact in a fanny pack that is designed for conceal carry. The fanny pack doesnt scream "gun". I have hung the fanny pack from the ridge line or have just placed the fanny pack between my legs in the hammock. Now that I have a HH, I'll look into using the loop in the beak somehow. Carrying a gun is like insurance, it's good to have if needed, but hope one never needs it.

SMSP
    Agreed on the "physical" insurance note. Despite the weight I would choose a firearm over bear spray or mace for the one reason of overspray, or "friendly fire" mace is a heck of a thing if you get it on you or near you during deployment. Would not work will in rain unlike a firearm.

If were to be allowed to carry in my state parks, in my hammock I could have it stealth concealed in something like a smart carry or daily planner. Considering the possible circumstance it may have to be deployed on the two legged variety I would want that inconspicious concealment so as not to advertise what i have and give me options if lethal defense is not the best or capable option at that time. Like a surprise day or (sleeping) night or very very rare ambush. Location in the hammock would be in said holster with adequate trigger protection on my lap or just under my sleeping bag top layer.

Hammock
    DW netless/JS Full net
    Tarp
    Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Dutch buckle/strap
    Well since we can't hang in Florida state parks that won't be an issue for you. I will be investing in the MIC for my Glock soon. I think I would sleep better if it was on my person. Having out of my constant contact makes me feel uneasy.
    Look up before you hook up!!
    Originally Posted by body942
    Me big. Me like hammockgear burrow. Long. Problems no. People good.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Egret 8x10
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    1" tubular webbing
    Ruger LCR .357. Gear pocket on ENO Double.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Has anyone come up with a solution for a long gun yet?

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 30 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast