Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Securing a figure-8 bundle with shock cord

I use a method that is similar to Dutch's in principle - an elastic wrap to maintain compression of the bundle with a simple to operate fastening system. The difference is that both functions can be performed by a 6" piece of shock cord. Tie the end of the zing-it guy line to the middle of the 6" shock cord, then knot the shock cord over the zing-it so the connection stays in the middle. You have formed a T, with the shock cord as the top bar and the zing-it as the upright. Wind the guy line on one hand, using a figure-8 pattern around your fingers. When you come to the end with the shock cord, poke one end of it through your fingers so you can tie a single overhand knot with the shock cord around the guyline. Form the overhand knot with your free hand, then hold one end with your teeth and pull on the other to tighten the knot. Then remove the figure-8 bundle from your fingers. Important: with the right size shock cord, the single overhand knot will hold. I have found 3/32" shock cord from Quest Outfitters to be the best. Second best is tiny 1/16" shock cord I got from Dutch. Some types of 1/8" shock cord don't work well. Try what you have on hand first. You need the right combination of stretch, surface friction, and suppleness. This also works on guy lines other than zing-it, such as mason's line.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I second this. A 2'' piece of double sided velcro (computer cable ties) work great and don't even register on my scale.

I do have a problem with my continuous ridgeline for my tarp getting tangled. I have been wrapping it around a tongue depressor but when taking it off it just gets all jumbled. Any suggestions on how to keep a 20'-25' tarp ridgeline from getting tangled?
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    I second this. A 2'' piece of double sided velcro (computer cable ties) work great and don't even register on my scale.

I do have a problem with my continuous ridgeline for my tarp getting tangled. I have been wrapping it around a tongue depressor but when taking it off it just gets all jumbled. Any suggestions on how to keep a 20'-25' tarp ridgeline from getting tangled?
    For my 30ft zing-it ridgeline, I use the figure eight method to hank the line and then finish off the 'working' end as water monkey does in his video. This seems to prevent tangles very well, but you do need to be careful if you have anything else attached to the ridgeline such as tarp flyz or prussiks. Those things can cause tangles if you're not careful.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123