Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Hammocking in Sweden

Hello !

My name is Patrick. I am living in the region of Burgundy (Bourgogne, France). My nickname is just a mix of Pat and Hex for the hexagon meaning France.
    Nothing about Johah Hex or...

Please forgive me if my english is not that good. I can read but have a lack of practicing my english writing...

I am very glad to become a member of the forum.

I would like to travel accross Sweden for the next 2012 spring to summer with my inflatable canoe. And I think it would be easier to camp with a hammock, on the thousands of lakes and rivers shores and islands.
    Using a hammock with an integrated bug net is more suitable for a wild camping (first) experience, IMHO, in the swedish region of Värmland.

I am not sure which hammock is "better" for the journey, between the DD hammock (frontline model and XL tarp) or the Hennessy hammock (Expedition A-sym zip and Monsoon tarp).
    Will I need an under-blanket and top-quilt during june and july in Sweden ? etc.
    I still have a lot of questions and that why I am joining hammockforums.net to learn more about these models and all these little tips that may help me in the swedish wilderness.

Thank you,
    Patrick

Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Hey PatHex,

Welcome to the Forum from Bluefin, "The Only Hammock Hanger in NewfoundLand, Canada"

This is a great place to hang out, very friendly bunch here.
    Take care,
    Bluefin

Bluefin's Videos

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Hi there mate,

Welcome to the forum. Not from Sweden but been around in Varmland several times.

Will be back there in March 2012 for a winter survival course (Winter WEISS) (not hanging due to lack of personal adequate insulation for -20 C (-4? F) or better (lower) but.....

Camping with a hammock in Sweden is EASY! (And of course comfortable)

I personally use an UQ and a TQ with most temps. Last summer in Sweden I reckon I encountered from +30 C (days) to around 0 C (32 F) in June. Seasons change. I used my No Sniveler (JacksRBetter) as UQ and an old sleeping bag as TQ. Of course the mozzie netting of my Hennessy worked great against the dreaded 'knuts'. Again MAJOR thank you to 2QZQ for a great modification!

I, again, personally, prefer my Hennessy over any DD hammock. Tarp wise I had a Tatonka (3x2.85)or a JRB 8x8 (2.45x2.45). Can't speak of the tarp you talk about, sorry.

Not sure if this is 'allowed' on the forum (please edit if not), but this is a link to some pics form my last summer in Sweden (Varmland, Vostra Silen among others) https://picasaweb.google.com/1074006...eat=directlink

Your English is still a lot better then my French!

Enjoy and probably some Swedish hanger will help you more along the way!

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    You've come to the right place! Hello and Welcome to the Forums from another in Canada!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hi !

Thank you for your advise born2roam.
    Do you mean the temperatures were one day 30°C and another day (of another week) 0°C in june in Värmland ?! Wow...

I was thinking taking with me, a Carinthia Brenta sleeping bag (comfort at -10°C) for June, hope it will be OK for the night. But it seems I will need to add an underquilt too...

The problem is that I will have my 15 kg inflatable canoe with me in a large (100L) backpack, and in another 90L bag I will have all my stuff for camping, cooking gear, clothes, sleeping bag, underquilt, hammock, tarp, etc. and a trolley and my paddles...
    That is a lot of large things to take with me...

Thanks for sharing yours pictures !
    I'd love to already be there : Sweden seems to be the perfect adventure's playground for me !

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Hi Patrick,

30C is daytemp. Might have been around 5-20 C (40-70 F) at night. But yes... in 2008 some ground dwellers woke stiff and "frozen" in june while I got out of my Speer hammock (reluctantly cos it was nice and warm), night temp was -2C. You gotta love Sweden

The Carinthia on top of you is more then enough. If you have a lighter bag on top and another one below you you will most likely be better off.

Some outfitters might be able to rent you stuff, saves you packing space on a flight but attack the old wallet...

90 liter bag... wow..... how long are you going and with whom? Not taking canoe, trolley, flotation device, paddles into account.... I always get (rent) these....

What canoe are you taking? Been looking into an Ally or Pakboat. Mods if not appropriate please tell us!

Mmmm joys of summer, joys of winter.....

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

How stupid I am ! Of course 30°C at day and 5°C at night, seems more logical !

Yes I will try to contact some swedish hangers. I was thinking also of leaving bulky things at home and buy them in Sweden.

I would like to stay in the country for at least 1 month. But If I could stay over there all the summer time it will great ! I was thinking of going to Sweden at the end of May and coming back home at the end of August...
    So you will understand I can't afford to rent a canoe for 30 to 120 days, it would be cheaper to buy one in Sweden and then sell it before coming back to France. But where and to whom would I sell it ?

My canoe is a real small one : The Sevylor KCC 305HF. It is the hunter green RIO, lighter and solo version of the COLORADO.
    I was thinking of bringing this one with me, so I could deflate it and pack it fast in my backpack. For the long portages I also have a trolley so it will be easier to go from lake to lake with my two big luggages...

The Ally model is a awesome canoe but it is to heavy (out of water) for one person in my opinion. I don't know if you can take it with your by plane... Maybe will you travel to Sweden by car with it? If you are two or more, the Ally is great !

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I think Dutch said he was heading to Sweden for an Alpaca trip with Moski. Watch for him. Also, you should hear from Moski or one of the other Swedish HF members soon. When you pass through Denmark, say hi to Bomber.
    Last edited by WV; 11-18-2011 at 20:38.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    welcome to the madness
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    DownMat 9
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Greetings, Pat.

Hope you will have a good time here in Sweden. It's a big country, where were you planning on going?

Hope to see you on one of our SKAHOs (Scandinavian Kick-*** HangOut) next year!
    - Tanstaafl.
    - Whoever said "No smoke without fire" never went camping.
    - It's just badass to have a yak.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast