Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images

hanging/making a gear hammock

Could someone please explain to me the real basics of the gear hammock? I would like to make my own out of nylon/sil if I can find it...

(I have a HH EXUL with 1/2 ccf pad, hex fly with 4 stake out points)

I understand that it can be hung from the prusiks at either end (foot ideally for those last minute "crap-forgot-my-headlamp" moments and that it should remain snug up against the hammock body. I have a large hex fly that has adequate ground space, so i am not as confined as with a stock fly, but would still like my stuff within reach.
    The two main questions I have are:
    1. what shape should it be? triangular with most of the weight at the bottom or just round like a glorified stuff sack? Both will have shock cord/draw cord to keep the stuff snug right.
    2. Where do you attach the bottom tie-outs? Will staking alongside the HH out at a distance provide enough tension to keep the gear hammock snug? I thought about shock-cording the ties to the D rings on the side of my HH, but found that with too much weight it would probably damage the reinforced corners, or at least, pull them into an awkward position. I have also considered running shock cord around the sides of the hammock through the D rings and tieing them off to the opposite prusik, but that seems kind of stupid and the shock cords would most likely be annoying once I was inside the HH trying to sleep. (think nose wedgie)

I do not use an underquilt, (i have found that with my mountain light 20 bag and a full lenght ccf pad (spe is my next diy project) i have stayed quiet warm down to about 30F. I usually tie up pretty high, but on real cold temps can lower the hammock to basically bivy height with the tarp staked directly to the ground, works well but is a pain to get into and out of) and therefore am not worried about the quilt getting into the way.

I have not really looked into buying one simply because it appears to be a pretty easy job, but if someone knows of a good one for sale through either moonbow, HH, speer's site, etc, please let me know, I have not really checked them out yet.

Thanks and happy hanging
    Last edited by Dingus Khan; 01-06-2007 at 14:06. Reason: typo

Images
    Go to 'Just Jeff's' website tothewoods.net He has one and shows pictures. JRB is using his design and selling them also as Jeff explains. When you get there go to the Homemade Gear Tab and right at the top the 'All in One' is it.

TOG
    Last edited by Touch of Grey; 01-06-2007 at 14:21. Reason: wrong URL

• + New Posts