XL-2600i Brother

I'm about to pull the trigger on getting a thread injector. I'm looking at the Brother XL-2600i which can be bought at Wal-Mart for $85. I KNOW this is not a $300 machine. I'm curious as to the limitations it might present me. I'm also curious as to how well it will sew through some thicker items like an UQ.

I also saw the XL-6500 for $150 that is computer controlled and has more stitch options. I'm not sure what computer control gives me. I like the extra stitches.

I also don't want the machine to run away from me since I'm a noob. I like to go slow.

Chris

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Limitations? That depends. One big one for me on my home machines is presser foot lift. That will limit the thickness of what you can sew, as will the power. On multiple layers of webbing and 1000denier nylons, expect to hand turn a lot, and get a lot of needle movement. Also, the small bobbins are a pain on long runs. Better than hand sewing though. It should sew an underquilt, it just won't be the bee's knees for it.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    I have a Brother machine from Wally world. Not the same model, but about the same price range. Works fine. Just the other day I injected threw 4 layers of fleece. It may not the the best out there, but it functions fine for me.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Sounds like a newer model of my 2125 Brother that I bought used. It works fine.

Check a sewing repair shop... you might find a used machine that's more heavy-duty, and somebody to ask questions of and who might just show you how to operate it... all for the same price...

Newer isn't always better...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    12 x 12
    Insulation
    Pad & Pack
    Suspension
    Rings & Straps
    Images
    I've used that machine for about a year now. Never had a serious problem or run into something I couldn't sew, I've done 4 layers of cotton duck canvas at one time and while that taxed the machine going slow worked just fine.

I have two gripes about the machine the first was already mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by hippofeet View Post
    the small bobbins are a pain on long runs.
    Obviously, with small bobbins being aware of the thread level is important and requires checking before making a long seam. Not the end of the world but it's a pain to run out in the middle of a stitch.

Second gripe is that the reverse lever is spring loaded so if you want to sew in reverse you have to constantly hold it down giving you only one hand to manipulate the fabric.

It's a value machine, it's cheap and it works.
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    i have the older ver of that machine i got at walmart a few years back... i still use it to this day i make LOTS of gear on it many UQ's have been made on the machine ....
    for the price ti's a nice starter machine very solid .....
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

I bought the Brother LS-590 from Hancocks, $89.00, and it has performed well on everything I have put it thru, a gatherered end Hammock, a tarp, an UQ and Tree Straps. So the cheaper Brothers are good in my opinion.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    ATP
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    I got the XL2600i a few months ago, and I've had no problems while making several things with ripstop and fleece. If you get it, make sure you hear the bobbin thread "click" into place when you pull it thru the slot; you'll know what I mean when you see it. If you don't, it can become loop city. Otherwise, I like the machine a lot.

Hammock
    diy hammock
    Tarp
    diy 10x10
    Insulation
    homemade UQ w/sock
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Thats the machine i use. Its great, and for the price...can't be beat. I've done a couple $20 craigslisters (thinking older is better) only to have them not work. Finally sucked it up and bought the new brother 2600 and it was soo worth it. So easy to use and versitile. I've even patched my buddies jeep soft top with it.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Bigtime thread revival! I have one of these and I struggle to control the sewing. Even barefoot with good control, I can't make the foot pedal do what I want. If I ease into it the machine hums (like a transformer) without doing anything yet, then all of a sudden it pumps out 4 stitches at full throttle. Horrible variable speed control. I thought it was just me, but I don't think there's any getting the hang of this.

I'm picking up a machine from my parents tonight they have since my aunt passed recently. She was into sewing bigtime, so I'm betting it's a really nice machine. I'm not very experienced, but if I can't control the speed properly I'll never learn!

• + New Posts