Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images

Clark's Hammock Insulation

Hello all! I've been using the Clark's Hammocks since the first ones and found things that work well with them. I plan on making a video, but here’s a tidbit for now.

Insulation: I use an Adventure Medical 2 person emergency blanket and when absolutely necessary, an automotive dashboard protector, the aluminized type that has the small bubbles in it. It's the kind that is used to reflect\block heat away from the inside of the car.

Start by loosely tying one end length ways, to one end, of the “outside” of the hammock body. Then go to the opposite end and while holding the loose, outside corners of the emergency blanket, roll them with an inward twisting motion until there is just enough to cover the hammock body. This will prevent a lot of slack in the blanket and reduce heat loss. Fasten this to the hammock with a small, loose knot at the very ends of the blanket. Don’t tie it so tightly as to constrict the hammock. Just needs to be snug. Now walk down to the other end and perform the same procedure. This will keep you very warm in cold weather.

In even colder weather, simply slide the reflective dashboard protector between the emergency blanket and the hammock body. This setup is so warm that I had to unzip my sleeping bag and steam came rolling out. I have only had to use this extra step once. The blanket has always been more than sufficient.

The emergency blanket also serves as a great ground cloth when the hammock is setup as a tent to both reflect heat up to you, or away from you (depends on orientation of the reflective surface) as well as protect the hammock from the ground and the elements.

It can also be placed on top of the canopy to reflect heat away from the inside of the hammock on hot days. Caution! You may need to flip it over when doing this. It could be taken as an emergency signal. Personally, I don’t worry about it, but check with local laws on this if there are any.

It also serves to block moonlight during a full moon so that you can get some sleep and aren’t up all night howling! LOL!

These are both very light weight and much less expensive than the traditional ideas used. I have been doing it this way for many years and have never had any difficulty staying warm. Always very warm and cozy and I’m still using the same emergency blanket I originally bought and I never go out without the blanket.

The blanket is orange on the outside with a lot of invaluable survival information written on it. So, it isn’t pretty when attached. But it works great!!!!

Good blessings!

P.S. Just posted a couple pics in my thingy-ma-doodle to show what I'm talking about.

P.S. x 2 These are now referred to by Adventure Medical as a "HeatSheet".
    Last edited by leepingreenlizards; 08-18-2008 at 14:44. Reason: More info

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome to Hammock Forums!

It's always good to see how other folks stay warm.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Good ideas! You certainly shouldn't be mistaken by a hunter with the HeatSheet as a under-insulator.
    By the way, what is your definition of cold weather? Mine has changed since I moved north so I need some calibration.

Hammock
    HH Expedition A-Sym (Zipper Mod)
    Tarp
    HH Poly. Hex
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    Images
    So this does show the huge advantage over bottom entry hammocks. Good for you.
    What tarp are you using in those pics?

Images
    Oh yeah! I bought both the original Clark's and the Hennessey at the same time as to have no true (rather than stated) preference and tested each one. Needless to say, I have stuck with the Clark's and waived bye-bye to the Hennessey. The one and only thing a Hennessey has going for it is a "little" bit more room. Other than this one plus, the Clark's is head and tales above the rest. The Clark’s has many more useful and functional features.

Good blessings!
    Last edited by leepingreenlizards; 08-21-2008 at 13:52. Reason: Mistake

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    leepingreenlizards.. I think you are projecting your preferences onto everyone else. I am sure the Clark is a good product. I am equally sure that _I_ would not find it superior to the Hennessey becasue the HH has some extremely "useful and functional features." Not the least of which is bottom entry which is absolutely essential to me as I have mobility issues. I have no problem with people expressing their own opinions and being passionate about their preferences. However, I think you post tends to move beyond personal opinion and border on overall perspective. May I suggest that when you make a sweeping statement you preface it with IMO... or "I find..." or "I think..." Something which set off the statement as personal opinion. Thanks...
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    CLARK NX-200 / Clark NA /Warbonnet
    Tarp
    CLARK NX-200 TARP
    Insulation
    PAD and BAG
    Images
    I can't wait for you to put up more pictures of your kit the one
    I really like it this one http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...imageuser=1940

That could be an affective way to deal with hiking around here during
    dear season.

Images
    No. Not a projection of preferences, just facts. What I stated is the result of equal testing with my own pocket change so as to prevent any favoritism. In the end, the Clarks' won out. Not bad mouthing the Hennessey, but I can guarantee that if you were to set them up side by side and go through each specific function and ability, the Clark's will come out on top because it simply has more functionality. This is simply a fact and not the result of projection or assumption.

Not trying to be difficult here, but I believe in telling it like it is. I'm not a politically correct person, but I am an honorable man and I don't mince words. As far as the mobility issue goes, I’m glad the Hennessey works well for you. However, I find it’s much easier to simply sit down in my hammock and then pull my feet in to lay down, then it is to wiggle up into it, pull my hammock down around me and then sit down and lift my feet up in the air high enough to allow it to snap shut. It also makes it easier to reach out and get something out of a pocket or out of my pack by simply unzipping the netting a little. But, that’s just me.

If your happy with what you have, then great!

Good blessings!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    you really did not read my post did you? You would lose that bet. And I would gladly take your money.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    post removed by ramblinrev. Pointless....

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast