HH BU
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    I just suck it up
    Suspension
    HH

WTB: Misc Gear in Canada

I'm looking to buy various outdoor gear located in Canada (to avoid surprise duty fees etc). Some things I'm looking for / may be interested in are: cold weather clothing, extra fabrics for misc diy projects, amsteel, lightweight stoves, snowshoes (8" wide), uq, etc.

Basically if you have an excess of something let me know. Thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    I've been buying things out of the states for yrs and have not paid duty most of the time. Make sure they send it USPS ground ,( ***NOT UPS** ) and generally your ok.
    You can pick up decent snowshoes anywhere , MEC etc.
    Cloths,,first thing i would do is look in local value village,, thrift shops etc for wool shirts and sweaters, sometimes you find good stuff. Look in military surplus stores for wool pants. A cheap light weight wood stove would be a DIY here, otherwise Emberlite out of the US.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMfbt2bQC7g

Material is more difficult to find. Silnylon is mostly found at a few places in the US but it wraps up small and can be put in the mail USPS.

good luck
    bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    Don't be afraid to order on-line from the States. As the above poster stated do not use UPS, use USPS only. Always check if it isn't clear on their website which carrier they use. Have ordered several times and no problems. Some places in Canada have extreme shipping prices that you must watch for. Just try to get something from Leatherman in Quebec! The good thing about those "dealers" shown on this formum is that they are "hangers" as well and can answer your questions so that you get what you want.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by danfromnb View Post
    I'm looking to buy various outdoor gear located in Canada (to avoid surprise duty fees etc). Some things I'm looking for / may be interested in are: cold weather clothing, extra fabrics for misc diy projects, amsteel, lightweight stoves, snowshoes (8" wide), uq, etc.

Basically if you have an excess of something let me know. Thanks
    Shipping from the USA via the postal service, the worst you're going to get hit with is a $5.00 processing feel and your local sales taxes. If you're ordering an item that needs a larger box to ship it in, then the shipping rates do get pricey. But many lightweight camping gear stuff isn't available readily in Canada.

Cold weather clothing your can get at Mountain Equipment Coop, amsteel is readily available in Canada. Fabric may be an issue. Sometimes there are reginal stores that warehouse fabrics for DIY use, so check around. Silnylon is all buy impossible to find in Canada by the yard. It also doesn't hurt to support our HammockForum vendors. They will all ship to Canada and sell the right stuff for good prices.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    JRB all around
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Shipping from the USA via the postal service, the worst you're going to get hit with is a $5.00 processing feel and your local sales taxes. If you're ordering an item that needs a larger box to ship it in, then the shipping rates do get pricey. But many lightweight camping gear stuff isn't available readily in Canada.

Cold weather clothing your can get at Mountain Equipment Coop, amsteel is readily available in Canada. Fabric may be an issue. Sometimes there are reginal stores that warehouse fabrics for DIY use, so check around. Silnylon is all buy impossible to find in Canada by the yard. It also doesn't hurt to support our HammockForum vendors. They will all ship to Canada and sell the right stuff for good prices.

Cheers

Brian
    Brian, where do you buy your Amsteel here?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VegdOut View Post
    Brian, where do you buy your Amsteel here?
    This is the site that another Toronto area hammock hanger mentioned in a previous thread.

http://www.redden-rope.com/

They are in BC so you still have to pay tax and shipping. I've also heard that that West Marine has stores in Canada that sell Amsteel.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    JRB all around
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    This is the site that another Toronto area hammock hanger mentioned in a previous thread.

http://www.redden-rope.com/

They are in BC so you still have to pay tax and shipping. I've also heard that that West Marine has stores in Canada that sell Amsteel.

Cheers

Brian
    Thanks very much!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Say hi to Gina for me!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    HH BU
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    I just suck it up
    Suspension
    HH
    Gee, sorry I asked. I do realize I can ship from the US, I have done so on many occasions. I'd really just prefer to spend money in Canada if I could is all.

Plus as far as cold weather type gear is concerned there's a big difference between cold weather in the southern US compared to here. (Some of the trip reports etc I see on here that mention cold weather have right down balmy temps listed so it makes it hard to put a good number on "cold weather")

• + New Posts