Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hammocking with sleep apnea?

I've been using a cpap machine for sleep apnea since '98. The only camping I've done since then has always been limited to tents or pop-up campers in a campground with electricity. I recently had to replace my cpap - this is a pretty small, much lighter machine. I've been researching people with cpap machines camping and think I can get the 12 volt power adapter for this machine and one of the Jump Start type battery systems to power it.

I've been reading about hammocks for over 2 years and last night finally made one - double thick Zhammock style. Has anyone got any suggestions of trying to hammock while being tethered to a cpap? I'm thinking maybe a gear hammock could be used to hold the cpap, Jump Start battery on the ground. Not sure about it though - just looking for suggestions.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i don't think you should have any problems working that out.
    what is the aprox size & weight of the different equipment parts you'll be using?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You could hang it from the ridgeline, too. Biggest problem I see is keeping it clean and dry without it overheating...i.e., I doubt it would be a good idea to stick it in a stuff sack. But a big enough tarp should take care of that.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

TNhunter, I am on a cpap machine myself. If the hose is the normal length of 6' you shouldn't have a problem if you hang your hammock low enough to the ground. Do you have a humidifer that comes with your machine?

A cpap machine even the newest ones will weigh approx 5 lbs and if you have a humidifer add another 5-6 lbs plus the distilled water you have to use.

I wouldn't want to hang that from a ridgeline knowing how much one of these machines cost.

I backpack and never take mine with me. I just snore like crazy and camp far away from everyone else.

Have you tried sleeping in the woods without one? It is hard the first night because you are so dependent on the machine. By teh 2nd night you are tired, plus a few shots of Jim Beam and benadryl (sp) will help .

Another friend of mine takes Ambiance plus a little whiskey to help him sleep. He said that worked on a 8 day trip in Glacier

Images

breath right

I used the breath right strips before i finally had to go get cut ,and they helped a whole lot. plus tucking something under your chin to hold your mouth shut and the fetal postion helps alot.hope this helps because that stopping breathing thing is not what you want and it scares the begebes out of the wife but shes a light weight anyway . weres the fun in that.
    Bear bait what??? Your It!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TNhunter View Post
    I've been using a cpap machine for sleep apnea since '98. The only camping I've done since then has always been limited to tents or pop-up campers in a campground with electricity. I recently had to replace my cpap - this is a pretty small, much lighter machine. I've been researching people with cpap machines camping and think I can get the 12 volt power adapter for this machine and one of the Jump Start type battery systems to power it.

I've been reading about hammocks for over 2 years and last night finally made one - double thick Zhammock style. Has anyone got any suggestions of trying to hammock while being tethered to a cpap? I'm thinking maybe a gear hammock could be used to hold the cpap, Jump Start battery on the ground. Not sure about it though - just looking for suggestions.
    When car camping I use my CPAP machine connected to an extension cord and out the tent to a power inverter and then into my car cigarette lighter. No Jump Start battery needed; just have to be able to run the car for 15 - 20 minutes every couple days to keep the battery charged.

If you are looking at canoe camping or some other method away from the car, I've heard good things about the Jump Start batteries ... but that one will only last 2-3 nights of use without recharging. This is hearsay as I've not tried this myself.

For backpacking I believe that the battery weight is prohibitive if there are any other solutions, so I got fitted for one of the dental appliances, which studies have recently shown as effective for some apneas (YMMV). For me it works OK, but I need to sleep on my side and it does not feel as effective as my CPAP. On the other hand, I do feel better in the morning than when I just go to sleep and hope for the best. As a fringe benefit, it reduces/eliminates my snoring, which makes it easier on my hiking partners!

I alternate between hammocking when solo or the only hanger in a group, and going to ground in my Tarptent. When I sleep in the hammock I'm very comfortable, but if I roll over and end up on my back in the morning I still wake up with some of the apnea headache, even with the dental appliance. To prevent this I've used a stuff stack or inflatable pillow under my back, which helps keep me on my side (but can be a pain as it may move around at night).

I slept with my cpap last 4th of july... I was at a campground without Elec. I used the batt off my popup(which was at home). Since the humidifier takes AC and not DC there was no need for it to go with me. I took a plastic box and cut a hole in it for my battery cord and my hose to exit from. Sat the Batt on the ground and hung the box from my ridgeline. I used a bungy net to hang it with and made sure the hose had a good dip in between me and the Cpap to keep any rain from making an unwelcome visit to me or my cpap. It was not under my tarp but it stayed dry thru a very heavy downpour. The third day I hooked it (the battery) with jumper cables to the truck and let it run for awhile( not sure if it needed it but I didn't want to take a chance... I feel like I have been Run over if I sleep with out my Cpap.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Winter Nest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I've been on the CPAP since 92. The Jump Start with a converter has worked great for camping in a tent. For backpacking, I use a dental device that I picked up off Ebay (Search CPAP). That and a little booze does the trick.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I was diagnosed with Apnea about 4 years ago. I fought with my machine for most of those 4 years, different sizes of masks, full nose and mouth coverage, just nose coverage etc.

Nothing worked to really stop my apnea or to stop me from snoring. So I went to a Dentist and had an "oral appliance" made. There are a couple different variations that all produce the same result. No electricity needed and it actually works. My wife says I dont make a sound now when I sleep and I sleep throughout the nite rather than jolting myself awake occasionally to catch my breath. I was skeptical at first.... But it does work for me.

The name of the system I have is Oasys. There are other manufacturers as well. I would highly reccomend looking into it, talk to your doctor and see if they can refer you to a dentist, if not yours, to see if its right for you. You do need the referral if you want your insurance to cover it, if they will cover it at all. Mine was $1750 and that came out of my pocket.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JrB TQ/UQ,Crownest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Am I the only one that it doesn't help?
    I can sleep just fine with the CPAP machine, it doesn't bother me; but in the morning I feel no different then if I didn't have the machine.

I never 'jolt awake' from not breathing. My snoring is bad and annoying to my partner, but she is used to it. I sleep very deeply and soundly without it, and as long as I don't use an alarm i wake feeling well rested.

Who uses one, but it doesn't help?
    I ride a recumbent.
    I like to HAM it up on the CW.
    I use Linux.
    I play go.
    Of course I sleep in a hammock!

Rug.

Hang On!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast