WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Well I can't get all worked up over whether I've disagreed correctly...

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    I prefer a ridgeline for storage, too, NCPatrick. I have one of those HAABs I took this fall, and never used the little pocket on the side for anything but stuffing the hammock into. Everything I needed during the night hung from the ridgeline. Handy for adjusting yourself in the hammock, too. And, of course, foolproof sag maintenance.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Ok... now you have confused the newbie. I understand the theory. I understand the practice. But why then does the HH stuff sack say to tie the suspension lines tight? Or is tight so relative that it has essentially no set meaning? Or is that just tight enough that the straps don't slide down the tree?

BTW confused is a common condition for me to exist in.
    Don't the directions actually say "moderately" tight? And tight is quite relative, especially once you add devices ( cinch buckles/hitchcraft or even a truckers hitch knot) that allow you to tighten more than you can with just the HH rope, tree huggers and hands.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Super Fly
    Insulation
    3 SEASON YETI
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Images
    Ok make it simple please????
    close trees low hang?
    far trees high hang?
    is that right?
    That is how I applied it for the 10 days I just finished. Around head high or a little lower for 15 plus feet i am 5'10" 13 foot is as close as I could get. and 20ish for the long dist. but i think it was over head high for that hang.

Have a HHUL.

simple minded fireman. big fire big hose little fire little hose.

2 trees
    BEAS
    From the Great Southern state of
    TENNESSEE
    Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less. General Robert E. Lee

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post
    I know I am notorious for over simplifying things but... I just did away witht he ridgeline altogether. Now when I set my hammock up it is at the correct height because ther is no ridgeline induced 'lowering'. Yes, you gotta get the sag right each time, but after a gazillion set-ups it is easy to get it right, plus I am now using ring buckles so it is easy to adjust. No ridgeline and ring buckles (or cinch buckles) are the way to go for me. See throught he hype, let the revolution begin!
    That is pretty much the evolutionary path I have followed. The structural RL is just for specific needs, such as ( obviously) to control a HH net, or trees so far apart that I can't easily reach high enough to get the required sag. But even then, I find that, paradoxically, the tighter I pull the more the hammock sags once I get in, maybe putting me on the ground. So I still end up having to attach the hammock pretty high.

The more angle in the suspension ropes ( or maybe the more "sag" to start with) the less additional sag I seem to get once I get in.

OTOH, an adjustable RL, adjusted after you get in ( Speer net style) can be awful handy, without pulling it tight or altering the sag before you get in.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-06-2008 at 21:00.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogn8r View Post
    I know I am notorious for over simplifying things but... I just did away witht he ridgeline altogether. Now when I set my hammock up it is at the correct height because ther is no ridgeline induced 'lowering'. Yes, you gotta get the sag right each time, but after a gazillion set-ups it is easy to get it right, plus I am now using ring buckles so it is easy to adjust. No ridgeline and ring buckles (or cinch buckles) are the way to go for me. See throught he hype, let the revolution begin!
    Amen Brother! I'm getting a headache and I've only gotten this far along in this thread. I have a Claytor with no ridgline and I have no problem setting it to where it's comfortable.

Miguel

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    I find it very interesting how people get so worked up that everybody should believe exactly as they believe and act accordingly.

That's exactly what I see going on with this whole ridge line or not to ridge line thing.

At one time, people were arguing for a ridge line and presenting all the great things it does without really presenting the downside.

Now Youngblood has people proselytizing to ditch the ridge line by telling all of the really bad things about a ridge line and all of the good things about not using one. I think Youngblood would be a lot more palatable, to me at least, if he was a little more balanced in his arguments. Presenting one side only is no more helpful than the previous arguments about using one were.

I'm just waiting for the time that both sides realize that the other side isn't the devil incarnate and that both sides have advantages on their side and disadvantages on their side and present their pros AND cons without the inflammatory language so that a person can just try both sides and settle on using or not using a ridge line without the attempts to initimidate.

Once the presenters drop the attempt to intimidate, then a dispassionate discussion can start.

Jumping all over a post because you think it doesn't present all of your arguments in the best of possible light is not going to help either side.
    I didn't realize any body was using inflammatory language, intimidating or jumping all over anyone, re: the pros and cons of a tight RL vs a less tight,or no, RL. Are you referring to a particular post that I might have missed?

It all just seems a matter of personal pref to me. If anyone likes a tight RL, go for it and feel free to tell me why you do if you feel like it. Or, if you prefer a barely tightened RL, or no RL, again- knock yourself out. And I will be happy to read why you feel that way.

Over the last year or so, I think the pros and cons of each approach have been well presented. Usually with each person presenting the pros of whatever has worked best for them, in their experience. But, I'm always ready to hear any new info someone might have on any given hammock subject. There are a lot of pros and cons to all these approaches. For another example, the endless opinions about the most reasonable way to stay warm! There are a lot of ways to skin a cat.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 05-06-2008 at 21:31.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BEAS View Post
    Ok make it simple please????
    close trees low hang?
    far trees high hang?
    is that right?
    That is how I applied it for the 10 days I just finished. Around head high or a little lower for 15 plus feet i am 5'10" 13 foot is as close as I could get. and 20ish for the long dist. but i think it was over head high for that hang.

Have a HHUL.

simple minded fireman. big fire big hose little fire little hose.

2 trees
    Sounds like you have the secret formula figured out, allright.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    > It all just seems a matter of personal pref to me.

Of course. HYOH. Hang your own hammock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Probably - I still think that presenting BOTH pros and cons would be a LOT more beneficial to the forums and the presenters.
    TiredFeet,

You can always add information or dispute things you don't agree with. I'm really at a loss as to your "inflammatory language" comment on your previous post.

This is the original post on this thread and it made over tightening the hammock suspension lines a topic of discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by heescha View Post
    OK, so the only thing i've done to my HH hammock so far is to put straps on instead of the ropes...that's it! So what the heck happened!?!?!?! i sat down in my hammock and WAMMIE! MY RIDGELINE SNAPPED! and not only that, since there was no weight supported by the ridgeline, the no-see-um net ripped because of the pressure!!!!

would this changing of the main support ropes make the difference? i slept with the new support lines for a couple of nights now and everything was fine....why did my ridge line just snap!?

What am i to do!?!?! i doubt HH will take it back because i modified the main support lines....AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
    Heescha was asking for an explanation of why he had a failure and advise on what he should do. For a fair and balanced view, you could tell how you recommend hanging a HH and how the ridgeline affects that. You should feel free to mention the pros and cons as you see them.
    Youngblood AT2000

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast