Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have good news and bad news.

The bad news: I left the measurements I took last night at home >_<.

The good news:
    1) I have a much better idea of what is going on.
    2) I fell asleep in the hammock while testing it out last night. It was just that comfortable.

From what I remember, the trees are about 22.5 feet apart according to the measuring tape. My tree straps were hung at 6' and 6'2", so we can assume 6'. My SRL is 119" unloaded, and very close to 120" under load. IIRC, my suspension length on each side was about 80" and under load, my ridgeline hung 42" off the ground. My butt was 12" off the ground. That gives a vertical distance from tree strap to ridge line of exactly 30".

When I compared those numbers to what I saw on the calculator, I found that my tree straps were 1.5-2' too low and my suspension was about 6-8" too short on each side. That explains some extra tension, but not enough to stretch the tree straps a whole 5" each (I was able to get a helper to measure that part again).

I just now put those numbers into a calculator and came out with something interesting: that puts my angle of hang at just over 22*. With my body weight (190lbs) That puts the tension on each line at ~250lbs. Which is only 60lbs more than a hang angle of 30*. So yes, it is a tight hang. But it isn't nearly enough to put excessive stress on the suspension.

60lbs shouldn't be enough to go from no noticeable stretch to five whole inches of stretch. So the question remains: What material should I replace my current tree straps with that take 250lbs worth of tension without stretching too badly and still withstand abrasion against tree bark?

Recovery straps maybe?

Images
    Are u near a Harbor Freight? They have some $ 3-5 ratchet straps (polyester if u don't mind yellow) that are 1500 lb rated. Maybe they stretch but I have never noticed any. I use them with cinch buckles on a Claytor no net no RL and always have a pretty good angle , not tight at all. With this set up I see very little sag compared to most others. But there may still be some stretch that I don't notice.

Awesome suggestion! I'll be near a harbor freight on Thursday, so I'll pick some up then and see how it works.

Hammock
    GTs &amp; DIYs
    Tarp
    Noah12'/Etowah10'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; Dutch
    I have straps made of this stuff and it is great. http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/shelf.cgi?numb=31

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Check out polyester webbing at strapworks.com. I just bought some 3/4" width with 2500 lb breaking strength! Found these guys per suggestion in a video by Grizz. Prices seem reasonable and they ship quickly. The 3/4 held my heavy self up on a short test hang. Going for an overnighter on Thanksgiving weekend for the real test! Quality seems really good.

Update:

Some polyester straps came in last week and I have had a chance to test them out. Sure enough, the stretch is all but GONE! Not only that, but I think the polyester straps seem more abrasion resistant and may even be lighter than the old polypros.

Thanks to everyone for the help, the problem has been solved.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snarlbuckle View Post
    Update:

Some polyester straps came in last week and I have had a chance to test them out. Sure enough, the stretch is all but GONE! Not only that, but I think the polyester straps seem more abrasion resistant and may even be lighter than the old polypros.

Glad that worked. I used my polyester straps this past weekend and they worked great too. I am using webbing as tree straps and suspension. I wrap my webbing around the tree much like your illustration, but then hook my hammock up to it using a marlin spike hitch with a carabiner I keep attached to the hammock and ridgeline. I use the 'biner where a toggle usually goes. My 'biners are heavier than some out there, but they were free!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snarlbuckle View Post
    Update:

Not quite accurate.... Poly pro is considerably lighter than Polyester

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12