Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    OK, so you are planning to meet us at Hemlock lodge on Friday at 10:00 am, then, right?
    Yea, OR meet me along the way up the STT. I'll camp in sight of the trail, or I'll call you & let you know I'm up & meeting you "somewhere".

Honestly, I may not even have a pulse by 10:00.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    OK. I was thinking it might be a nice side-hike to check out Whittleton Arch that morning, as I've never been there. If you want to go, too, you might want to meet us at the intersection or camp South of it. I don't think we'll have too much trouble finding you if you're asleep--if my memory serves me well, we'll hear you from our cars.... Kidding..

I'm also liking your idea of looping around the D. Boone Hut trail to get to Gray's Arch. I've only hiked to the hut and back from Martin's Fork, and from the Gray's Arch trailhead to the East, so it would be nice to see that section of trail.

ANOTHER IDEA: If you are leaving your car (Jeep?) at Gray's Arch, we could, if we all wanted, shuttle up to the Double Arch/Auxier Ridge area for a day or even an overnight. We can talk about that on the trail, but it might be a possible way to combine the the trips. I'm, personally, fine with the majority opinion, whatever that may be.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Arrow Trail Map

I've attached a trail topo map that covers our most likely loop, highlighted in yellow. JPG or PDF, take your pick. I've also pointed out some areas there: Hemlock Lodge is just off the margin at the bottom left. I've never been to Hanson's Point, but my understanding is that it is somewhere in the circle. The arrow points exactly to Initial Rock (which is also visible on Google Earth, BTW )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by bonsaihiker View Post
    I've attached a trail topo map that covers our most likely loop, highlighted in yellow. JPG or PDF, take your pick. I've also pointed out some areas there: Hemlock Lodge is just off the margin at the bottom left. I've never been to Hanson's Point, but my understanding is that it is somewhere in the circle. The arrow points exactly to Initial Rock (which is also visible on Google Earth, BTW )
    I'll check when I get home, but I believe the Hanson's point trail leaves the Rough about where the letters "Pinch Em Tight Ridge" cross the rough on your map. Its a little over a mile out. Flat, but rough.

From where it marked on the trail I hiked by (over) initial rock this spring. Perhaps initials were obscured by the light layer of snow... I think I may know where it is though.

I'd be game for running over to Auxier if others want to. Of course Gary's jeep may never smell the same!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Wish I could join you guys. I'd love to get back over that way. Have a great time.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Wish I could join you guys. I'd love to get back over that way. Have a great time.
    We'd love to have you. It was nice meeting you when you made it out here. Let us know if you ever have the time for a trip, and I'm sure we can work something out.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by krugd View Post
    We'd love to have you. It was nice meeting you when you made it out here. Let us know if you ever have the time for a trip, and I'm sure we can work something out.
    Definitely would try to work something out. I am going to work fewer weekends next year. I'll be poorer, but free-er.
    --Scott <><

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Looks like it's warming up in the forecast: http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/Slade+KY+USKY1339
    --Scott <><

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll check when I get home, but I believe the Hanson's point trail leaves the Rough about where the letters "Pinch Em Tight Ridge" cross the rough on your map. Its a little over a mile out. Flat, but rough.
    That's where I thought it was, so extrapolated to the nearest ridge/spurs. I've seen the trail, but never hiked it. Thanks for verifying!

From where it marked on the trail I hiked by (over) initial rock this spring. Perhaps initials were obscured by the light layer of snow... I think I may know where it is though.
    It's a big, open rock area that makes for an awesome lunch break. Everything dries immediately there, and if you are going to nap on the ground, that is the place to do it!

I'd be game for running over to Auxier if others want to. Of course Gary's jeep may never smell the same!
    I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time...
    --Scott <><

Hammock
    GT
    Tarp
    DIY Tyvek
    Insulation
    DIY Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies &amp; Toggles
    Images
    I'd sure love to come, but I think I'll have to pass this year. But I'm writing next year's hike on my calendar right now, with a big black Sharpie.
    -Digrat
    "Better than a map!"

Code:
     _   _
    ( )_( )
     (o o)
      \ /
      >.<

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast