Hammock
    Eno Doublenest, GT Nano
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Dunno yet!
    Suspension
    Whoopies

How do I sew a hole in the foot of my sleeping bag?

I have not been able to find any threads with a write up on how to do this. I have a 0 degree bag with a storage pocket and zipper on the foot. It's a perfect set up to zip it open and have a hole on the inside so I could slide the sleeping bag over the hammock. The current configuration has a double zipper, but It starts about 2 foot from the foot of the bag and I loose all the room by simply zipping it over the hammock.

Anybody have any experience with this, or know of anyone with a write up on how to do it?

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocelot View Post
    I have not been able to find any threads with a write up on how to do this. I have a 0 degree bag with a storage pocket and zipper on the foot. It's a perfect set up to zip it open and have a hole on the inside so I could slide the sleeping bag over the hammock. The current configuration has a double zipper, but It starts about 2 foot from the foot of the bag and I loose all the room by simply zipping it over the hammock.

Anybody have any experience with this, or know of anyone with a write up on how to do it?

Thanks!
    A picture would be a big help here. in general, I guess I would sew a box of stitch in the body of the bag, where you want the hole to be, leaving a hem allowance, cut a slit in the box in the shape of an elongated H, fold and hem for clean edges. then I would sew on some Velcro, and a flap so I could close the hole when not on the hammock. If there is a seam in place at the foot of the bag, I would rip the seam, and stitch the material seperately.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest, GT Nano
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Dunno yet!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hippofeet View Post
    A picture would be a big help here. in general, I guess I would sew a box of stitch in the body of the bag, where you want the hole to be, leaving a hem allowance, cut a slit in the box in the shape of an elongated H, fold and hem for clean edges. then I would sew on some Velcro, and a flap so I could close the hole when not on the hammock. If there is a seam in place at the foot of the bag, I would rip the seam, and stitch the material seperately.
    I am at work right now but I will post a photo when I get home. Basically it's like a pocket for a foot warmer or something. It doesn't need to be a really clean looking opening, as you won't see it because the foot pocket would be zipped up unless it's on the hammock.

I am about to do the exact same thing tonight!

I think rather than a hole I am just going to cut a slit twice the length that I want it to open up (this way when it has the rope threaded through it, it will be able to be forced over the end and open up in a circle like shape (6'' slit will open up to a 3'' circle in theory) then when not in use in the trees I can have a strip of velcro to seal it back up for ground use.... just my idea any way, I'll be testing it out this weekend in -4 weather so I'll let you know how it goes...

Just realized that if there is not total use on either side of the "slit" the velcro can be used to seal it up to the edges!

Oh BTW I just been Lurking on this Forum and figured it was time to make my first post (an Idea rather then a question) to break the ice.... lots of great stuff on here guys!

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    I'd understand cutting a hole, then sewing around it, but sewing a hole

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    if there are not stitches in place already, cutting the material first makes it a pain to control. yeah, you can pin it, or hand baste, but if you sew 2 parallel lines of stitch, say 2 inches apart, then cut in the middle, it is much easier to work with than maybe 3 layers of fabric and thicker insulation moving around, especially when you start stuffing it into the sewing machine. So for a 6 inch slit, I would first sew a 2 or 3 inch wide by 8 inch long box of straight stitch, then cut the slit and cut the insulation out of it so I could use the material left in the box to form a channel for cord, or for a clean rolled hem, or whatnot. Then your initial lines of stitch on the outside of the bag make up 1 row, and when you hem or make channels, you sew 1/4 inch outside that line and have neat double rows that look like it was done once with a double needle machine. Looks like you do your own stuff, so I guess it's just personal preference.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Ocelot
    Take a look at this post I did a while back.http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...07&postcount=8

If your bag is down, that will change how well this approach works.
    Like was mentioned earlier in your thread, two stitch lines along the area you want to cut will help seal in the down. Trying to do that on your machine may prove awkward to say the least. Might need to tackle this project with a needle and handstitching.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I cut out a -15 deg. bag, which has synthetic insulation, probably Climashield. The bag zips almost all the way to the bottom, a very big plus for this kind of modification. It is very thick. I just cut a line about 8" long through the center of each end, but along the bottom layer, so the bottom stayed up tight against the hammock, not gapping down with an air space.Next I held the layers together with one hand, and sewed them together all the way around. I wrapped that cut out with 1 1/2 grossgrain, and went around the hole with that. Lastly, I added a 12" sleeve of nylon rip stop to the thickness grossgrain, with a channel for a draw chord to close it up around the hammock suspension. I have a wimpy Kenmore sewing machine, but, it handled the thickness well. I'm too lazy to pin all that, and it didn't seem to matter. Yes, there are pictures.

I suspect though that in temperatures below 20 degrees, the 'channel' chamber at each end will need to be filled with extra clothing items to keep the cold from creeping in. I have not tried this yet since making it, but will try when it gets cold enough up here. By the way, I'm using this with a GT UL. But, with a -15 Eureka Eagle Point bag ($70), it has to be pretty cold weather to sleep out in. It's synthetic, and, will only compress to about as big as an oil drum, so, is only used in sled packing situations. I didn't pay much for the bag, so, it was easy to sacrifice. It seems like it would be interesting to sleep with my face actually out into the cold. Will it be comfortable? Have to wait and see. But, I wouldn't sacrifice a down bag for something like this.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by psyculman; 11-18-2011 at 15:22. Reason: additional information
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Noah 9/Superfly
    Insulation
    Human
    Suspension
    D. Buckles/Whoopie
    @psyculman but photos are time-stamped 5:20AM! That makes them pretty suspect to me...especially since I don't see any coffee brewing in any of the photos!

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    LOL yes, you got me.

It's the battle of keeping batteries in the camera. But, the day I took those pictures I was at work, and, it was about 90 degrees with humidity. I have not tried out that set up yet, but, was certainly not able to get into it that day!!!!! Hope it is 'survivorably' comfortable.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast