Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp

"The Ultimate Hang" 2nd edition

We KNOW people will invent new gadgets and there will HAVE to be a 2nd edition, so I thought we could post our suggestions and Derek can take notes.

I received the elephant trunk and knew that I'd seen it in the Kindle version so, when I got to the hardcopy I went to the back to look up the page number in the index. ACK!!

NO INDEX. I've always wondered how indexes were "made," but assumed that nowadays there's some software to make it easy. I really think this would be a welcome feature.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Indexes are all made by hand. It's a pain.

I considered an index and started to create one and decided instead to mash up a pseudo-index with the packing list. At the time, I didn't think most people would be looking up specific items like Elephant Trunks, but rather generic topics.

I am interested, however, to hear what people think. I do plan to keep The Ultimate Hang up-to-date, and with digital editions this is easier than ever, so what about an index? In my mind, you'd organize it much like a table of contents since something like "Elephant Trunks" probably makes no sense in a hammock book index unless you know what the heck you're looking for

E
    Elephant Trunks (see hardware)

H
    Hardware
    > Dutch Clips . . . . . . ##
    > Elephant Trunks . . . ##

Etc.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    How appropriate is this thread. Just as I finished reading the http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=42190 thread on a window in a hammock. Now is the 2nd addition being talked about.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Noah 9/Superfly
    Insulation
    Human
    Suspension
    D. Buckles/Whoopie
    Maybe two or three perforated pages with the Hammock Ruler! That's pretty cool, and

**************SPOILER ALERT**************

a nice surprise ending to a great book!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl,Hennessy Exped
    Tarp
    WB Super fly
    Insulation
    HG tq/uq (soon)
    Suspension
    diy whoopie
    Images
    If you're reading the e-book you should be able to do a search. No index necessary.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11foot
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Snugpak w/PLUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Toggle
    Read the kindle version and really appreciated it as a soon to be hanger. One thing I would suggest is similar to the sticky of full hammock systems for different budgets. Another useful item would be a discussion on DIY gear with some of the basic items.

Thanks for the book it was a great start.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Wizard,

I hear you, but I intentionally steered clear of promoting systems for a few reasons. As soon you elevate one system over another it introduces a bias I wanted to avoid. I tried to be as even-handed as possible in the current edition, but I can't have a hammock book without talking about the current models available. I tried to highlight the most "unique" styles out there as best as possible.

The other problem with listing hammock options and even DIY projects is that prices and availability change so quickly. I took a risk with the current edition by trying to show a comprehensive list of suppliers currently available. The website will live to list the most up-to-date information, but still, my book is out-of-date the moment it was printed. This is one issue with Ed's book too -- his DIY sections don't reflect current trends, methods, or materials.

I'd love to have a DIY section, but that gets complicated since so many of the DIY projects were not created by me. I could possibly get the OPs to contribute or get permission to re-post their work, but it can complicate the process. And what about knock-off projects like a DIY Hennessy or Warbonnet? Legal issues? Sticky business.

Plus, I think DIY is out of the scope of my intended audience. Yes, HF-ers lean more that way, but I wanted the book to be more evangelical for new and budding hangers. I think the forums are the best outlet for the addicts like you and me

I think the DIY model is best suited for the web where projects can stay active and move forward more quickly.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    Indexes are all made by hand. It's a pain.
    It's definitely possible to use the right software packages to auto-create an index. I do all my writing in LaTeX, a document markup language used mostly by science geeks, and it makes this functionality very intuitive. Some of the packages for MS word are much less so. The general idea is that there is some sort of marker that identifies where a given keyword is referenced in the text, and then the software assembles all of those keywords and figures out what pages the text is on.

It's a pain to set up and learn, and maybe not worth it for one book, but if you're doing a lot of writing, automatic creation of your table of contents, reference list, table and graph numbering, and citations is an absolute lifesaver.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
    Maybe two or three perforated pages with the Hammock Ruler!
    That's a pretty cool idea. I'll have to see if the publisher can do that...

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    It's definitely possible to use the right software packages to auto-create an index. I do all my writing in LaTeX, a document markup language used mostly by science geeks, and it makes this functionality very intuitive.
    Thanks Mustardman. My friend who mentored me when I put together my book also writes a lot of books using LaTeX. I'm a Unix geek and used LaTeX all through graduate school. Pretty cool stuff.

I'm going to look into making an index for future editions. I would also like to hear about what folks think about DIY. I may need to start a new post.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast