Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

first time makin whoopies...need help.

50 ft. of Amsteel just came in the mail, its whoopie time...but after 2 hours of struggling, resulting in blisters on my fingers and a pretty gnarly fleshwound in my palm meat, courtesy of a pair of wire cutters (dont ask me why i was using wire cutters, lesson learned.)...i only have one fixed eye around my hammock, with nothing else to show. I tried to bend a hanger down into a splicing tool, but thats obviously not the way to do it. I also tried a guitar string, but I cant get it back through, as the backbend holding my bury grabs the amsteel fibers. I'm using 8 strand, as opposed to 12 in the pictorials, does that have something to do with how stinking frustrating this is? Miserable first DIY experience thus far, help me!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    The point of whoopie slings is that the amsteel strands act like a chinese finger trap on the rope threaded through itself. Not being able to see what it is you are doing makes it difficult for me to help but I do know that you need to continuously loosen the strands (keep the material acting as the bury as compacted as possible). This allows an easier time of pulling the amsteel through the bury with your tool (in this case the thinnest guitar string folded in half). You tube videos as well as the pictorial found here in HF as well as the one at DIYgearsupply.com should give you a better understanding of what is needed.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    here

here

and here

here

and finally

Hope these help!!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Quote Originally Posted by theriddler View Post
    I also tried a guitar string, but I cant get it back through, as the backbend holding my bury grabs the amsteel fibers.
    It sounds like you have made a 'hook' on the end of your guitar string. Is this correct? If so, try this instead. Fold the guitar string in half at its midpoint. You feed the bent guitar string into the Amsteel with the point of the bend first.

If you are already doing as I suggested, you will need to find something smoother that won't catch the Amsteel fibers. Perhaps some stell fishing line/leader?

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps

whats the trouble

I found it a bit finnicky the first time too. My second one went much easier. I also had more confidence I was doing it right thanks to everyone on HF checking my work when I posted photos of the finished whoopie sling.

What's the trouble would you say? Is it the difficulty of getting the cord to slip back inside itself? I found making a good taper is key. Using clear tape to wrap the tapered end helped. Also having a big plastic 'needle' for wool really helped. I used 8 strand amsteel as well.

50 ft. of Amsteel just came in the mail, its whoopie time...but after 2 hours of struggling, resulting in blisters on my fingers and a pretty gnarly fleshwound in my palm meat, courtesy of a pair of wire cutters (dont ask me why i was using wire cutters, lesson learned.)...i only have one fixed eye around my hammock, with nothing else to show. I tried to bend a hanger down into a splicing tool, but thats obviously not the way to do it. I also tried a guitar string, but I cant get it back through, as the backbend holding my bury grabs the amsteel fibers. I'm using 8 strand, as opposed to 12 in the pictorials, does that have something to do with how stinking frustrating this is? Miserable first DIY experience thus far, help me!

Quote Originally Posted by dimeotane View Post
    Using clear tape to wrap the tapered end helped. Also having a big plastic 'needle' for wool really helped. I used 8 strand amsteel as well.
    Funny you say that. before I read this I wrapped the taper in clear tape and it worked like a charm! Thanks for the help everybody

whew this stuffs addicting! just finished ridgeline and 2 nacrabiners...now what...

Hammock
    doublenest eno
    Tarp
    old fly
    Insulation
    1" foam/sp.blanket
    Suspension
    1/2" diy straps
    you're a whoopie makin' fool now, eh? lol gratz

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    Yeah you like making whoopie. I actually find the 8 strand far easier. The 1/8" amsteel always results in me cussing up a storm. Taper is a must for sure. I use a large/short needle that I got from Wally World for 1.50 as shown in the photo.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    ...but after 2 hours of struggling ... how stinking frustrating this is?
    Quote Originally Posted by dimeotane View Post
    I found it a bit finnicky the first time too. My second one went much easier.
    I'm no whoopie expert (no comments from the peanut gallery!), but these comments reminded me of my initial feelings of frustration. Then suddenly, without my seeming to do much different at all, it got easier and much more effective. It's like learning to ride a bike. You do fall in the beginning, but suddenly you "get it" and off you go.

I also went through trying various needles and coat-hanger hooks, etc., but the best thing so far has been stiff, solid picture-hanger wire, bent in the middle (no hook!), and twisted a few times for added strength. I use blue painter's tape, if needed.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast