Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images

KAMMOK Hammock Set-up Video - Cool!

I just saw this posted -- it's like a page out of my book! Very well-done video and probably the best set-up instructions I've seen from a manufacturer on how to hang a hammock correctly. I have to give props to KAMMOK for doing a great job on promoting proper hammock technique for the masses.

The only thing I'd recommend is to keep your hammock stuffed when setting it up. A double-sided stuff sack, Bishop bag, or built-in stuff sack all work. Just keep it stuffed and attach one end, then slowly reveal the hammock as you walk to the second anchor point. Not only does this keep the hammock material off the ground, but you don't have to juggle the fabric in your hands, as is shown in this video.

These instructions work with almost any hammock.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I just saw this posted -- it's like a page out of my book! Very well-done video and probably the best set-up instructions I've seen from a manufacturer on how to hang a hammock correctly. I have to give props to KAMMOK for doing a great job on promoting proper hammock technique for the masses.

The only thing I'd recommend is to keep your hammock stuffed when setting it up. A double-sided stuff sack, Bishop bag, or built-in stuff sack all work. Just keep it stuffed and attach one end, then slowly reveal the hammock as you walk to the second anchor point. Not only does this keep the hammock material off the ground, but you don't have to juggle the fabric in your hands, as is shown in this video.

These instructions work with almost any hammock.
    I saw this video earlier today. It is very well done.

As to your point though about hanging the hammock, it is difficult to do this if the trees are far apart and you're using the Python straps. I was watching for this in the video. Between the first attachment of the biner to the straps and the second there is a cut-away. Not continuous. Why? Because the guy had to lay the hammock down on the ground, walk over to the second tree, grap the strap hanging there, walk back over and pick up the hammock, and then you get the video back and he clips the hammock to the strap.

Now you can do what you suggest (and most of us do one way or the other any way) if you can attach the strap to the tree as the last step, e.g., with a biner from one end across to the other side of the strap. So for anyone going with the stock Roo and Python straps set-up to pick up another biner, to be used in attaching the second strap to the tree.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I think I understood you correctly, Grizz. What I most often do is set both straps first, then attach one end of the hammock, slowly revealing it out of the sack/Bishop Bag and then connect to the other strap. Is this what you meant?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I think I understood you correctly, Grizz. What I most often do is set both straps first, then attach one end of the hammock, slowly revealing it out of the sack/Bishop Bag and then connect to the other strap. Is this what you meant?
    yep. This procedure works when you have all of the length of the suspension attached to the hammock and you walk between trees. Or if you have a single line suspension that you set up first, and then walk the hammock between the connection points.

With the Python Straps (or Slap Straps), the length of the suspension is hanging down from the tree, so when you walk the hammock towards it, once the hammock is fully extended between the first connection point and yourself, you have to "cross the gap" with your arms, one hanging onto the hammock to keep it off the ground, the other to try and snag the strap hanging from the tree. So I suppose the the thing to do is to attach the hammock to the first strap as far down the strap as it will go, then walk over to the second tree and if you're lucky reach the strap and connect it, then walk back to the first connection and tighten it up, then walk back to the second strap and loosen it up. Or something. Or, before all this to-ing and fro-ing, put a length of feather weight cord on the hammock and when walking towards the second tree grab the cord when you run out of hammock.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Some very clean video work on their part.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I concur, the best video I've seen yet on a basic set-up.

• + New Posts