Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger
    Have to be careful about nylon vs. polyester/polypro. If you don't mind stretch then it's not a concern, however there's no surefire way to tell with those tow straps.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Can you get simpler than whoopie slings that don't have knots? And Dutch has those thingies that allow you to avoid marlin spike hitches, even though I don't really understand why some folks are paranoid about the marlin spike hitch.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    This could be the simplest and least expensive hammock suspension there is!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Actually...my suggestion would be to watch the PIF thread for whoopie slings and web straps.

They come up pretty regularly, and you can PIF back whatever extra gear you have, or things that you can DIY if you've got the DIY bug.

My wonderful HHED has been recently upgraded to whoopies (test hang still pending) thanks to the generosity of those fine PIF folks!

Cheap method, very lightweight, and nowhere near as complicated as it might seem.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    So the first gift hammock is going to go to my uncle, whose name I drew in the family gift exchange. He's a birdwatcher, so I figure what better way to lounge while looking for some rare species? (I guess you can lounge while looking for birds. Never did see the appeal of it though...)

I'm thinking of doing the following: Nano 23 carabiner (or any carabiner, really, but that's what I have around right now) attached directly through the hammock end channel, and it clips on either to a loop in the end of the tree hugger, or further up the tree hugger with a marlinspike hitch. Can anybody see a problem with this? The only thing that seems a bit sketchy to me is having the end channel all bunched around the carabiner. I know that you have to distribute the weight on biners in certain ways for them to hold up and I'm sort of concerned that this might not be the right way. Anybody know if this is safe?

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    BA bag/ incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    So the first gift hammock is going to go to my uncle, whose name I drew in the family gift exchange. He's a birdwatcher, so I figure what better way to lounge while looking for some rare species? (I guess you can lounge while looking for birds. Never did see the appeal of it though...)

I'm thinking of doing the following: Nano 23 carabiner (or any carabiner, really, but that's what I have around right now) attached directly through the hammock end channel, and it clips on either to a loop in the end of the tree hugger, or further up the tree hugger with a marlinspike hitch. Can anybody see a problem with this? The only thing that seems a bit sketchy to me is having the end channel all bunched around the carabiner. I know that you have to distribute the weight on biners in certain ways for them to hold up and I'm sort of concerned that this might not be the right way. Anybody know if this is safe?

why not tie a short length of rope into a loop and do a larks head and clip the biner onto that?

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    This is also a good idea.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    Related question: Let's say I have a foot-long length of paracord and want to tie it into a loop to be able to larkshead it. What knot should I use to tie the ends together that will hold under weight and never slip or come undone?

Also, it hit me that a cheap solution for making numerous hammocks would be to get a hundred feet of paracord and do loops like that, then attach them to steel S-hooks like the ones that come with Grand Trunk hammocks. I have a spare pair of those already from my hammock that I put whoopie slings on, but I was wondering where to get more. Or, more specifically, where to get more that I know will be strong enough to hold weight.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Images
    I'd go with a double (or triple) fisherman's bend. They've been the standard for making loops for a long time. It will even work with slippery line, so it will be no issue at all in paracord.

I'd advise against using paracord in any load-bearing capacity. Certainly not as part of the hammock suspension. It will be fine for prusik loops for the tarp though.

Hammock
    Warbonnet El Dorado
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole tarp
    Insulation
    Enlightened UQ
    Not 550 paracord? The fact that it's rated to 550 pounds made me think it would be ok for holding a hammock up...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast