Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Looks like you and Ed had a great time! That's a nice looking campground there.
    I enjoyed all the good pictures. There were a lot of flowers out there!
    It was a great time. I am glad we could get out. Must be this time of year for the annuals to bloom. I remember one section on this trail years back where there were thousands of black eye susans in bloom. Black eye susans are the yellow flowers with of course the black button in the middle.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Really good to see you both out there soaking up the awesome camping weather. Great photos Rick!
    Wish you coulda joined us!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Going to have to do that hike this season. Thanks for sharing.

Its a nice easy section to hike. Ed and I were taliking about doing the section that starts out at the same spot we started from but heading north instead of south. This leg connects the green swamp to richloam. Its about 12 miles straight shot. It that looks like it will happen, we'll let you know!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUEFIN 774 View Post
    Hey richtorfla,

Very nice photos of your hike. The scenery is very different from what we have here in Newfoundland. Thanks for showing your hike.
    Thanks Bluefin! Florida has such a diverse terrain. Just in the section we hiked, there was the palmettos, then prairie and my favorite is walking to the oak hammocks. Its feels like its 10 degrees cooler when you enter there. This area was clearcut for the trees, mostly pine by a logging company many many years ago. Swiftmud ( fla. water management) bought the land cause it contributes to the headwaters of I think 4 rivers.

I like your neck of the woods too where the rocks meet the ocean!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    Looks awfully pretty this time of year. Glad you had a good time!

Were the skeeters bad down there? They've been annoying me for the last week or so up here.

I look forward to meeting you in January at the Ocala hang.
    Ed hiked the Hillsborough section that was south of where we were at the weekend before and he said the skeeters were bad. It was more swampy than where we were. We prepared to be pin cushions but they were not bad at all. I think I swatted a couple where we camp. On the way back to the cars, we ran into more in the low lying parts like the area of the pic I took of the bridge. I'll see ya in Jan.!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Nice little getaway - thanks for sharing.

Thanks Jay! Glad you enjoyed it!

Hammock
    Blackbird Double Layer 1.0
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    3 Season Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    I'm a little slow getting to the party ... but, yes, it was a great weekend to be hikin' & hang in'.

From my view, it was a great trip to the Green Swamp. Rick and I hiked around 13-14 miles total. The trail was not followed always as planned, but we were never lost, just misplaced. Somehow we started out and missed a crossroad to the Florida Trail. Probably talking and too excited at the start of the weekend hike. So we did a loop instead of an out & back hike. Still got to our campsite around 2:30 and had plenty of daylight to set up camp, filter water, and just enjoy the scenery. The Gator Hole had plenty of perfect hanging trees to choose from. We even had two nice picnic tables and a metal fire ring for the campsite.

We had some daytime guests at the campsite until around 6:00 on Saturday. They had built a fire so it was perfect for us to just add one of those fire logs from Publix. The fire log lasted through dinner until after 9:00... we both could have been asleep in the hammock before that, but campfires are hard to leave. It was great to share cooking tips during firing up our stoves. Without a doubt, Rick is the Master Chef. His rice with salmon, blueberries, curry and other spices was terrific.

It was a perfect night for sleeping. 55* with no winds to speak of. I slept like a baby until a unruly flock of Sandhill Cranes loudly interrupted my dreams around 7:30. **** birds!

I figured we had more than two hours before we had breakfast and broke camp, so I lit the last fire log in the firering. Nothing like having a morning fire burning to set the ambiance for the day.

We began our trek back around 11:00. See how much we enjoyed the morning!!??

Very pretty walk back through pine flat woods, oak hammocks and other areas full of wild flowers. This is a very scenic portion of the swamp. Much different than hiking the wet, sloppy, mosquito infested east portion. We really did not have a bug problem all weekend, much to our surprise and enjoyment.

From my point, this section of the Green Swamp is well worth hiking & hanging again. But I also want to park at the same site and hike north, instead of south, on the FT to see other parts of the trail.

To top everything, Rick and I had some great Mexican food in San Antonio on the way back to I-75. I was not too hungry while on the hike, but those enchiladas went down mighty fast.

So all in all, it was the perfect hiking & hanging trip. I'll try and see if we can hook up for another jaunt. Maybe the first part of December before the holidays get too hectic. If not, maybe February.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Great write up Ed. A lot better than I could muster up. Definately want to get out again while the cool weather is around!

Hammock
    ENO
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    I've always wanted to visit Florida. Thanks for sharing the pic's.

Hammock
    DIY Claytor, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    DIY OGEE,WL BD
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Great photos I agree with Fronkey about missing the FL woods...Used to live near the Clewiston area...a little swampy
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
    Henry David Thoreau

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast