Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Fabric Store Guesswork

Fabric Store Guesswork Sucks

I am going to make a bridge hammock (or two). I have a Hancock Fabric store within a few blocks of my house. I have made four fabric purchases. Two were okay (ripstop nylon). Two were not okay (polyester micro-suede). It is not easy for me to estimate the weight of a fabric just holding a corner of a bolt in the store. The two bad choices I made weighed much more than I wanted. One of them also turned out to be stretchy on the short axis. What the heck am I going to do with that?

I think I need to just order fabric from online retailers, with actual specifications available for the products. It is not fun waiting for deliveries, but it is not fun to waste money on fabric that I can't use either. If anyone knows of a good use for 4 yards of stretchy polyester micro-suede, please let me know. I am considering making some hats.

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    Just want to suggest diygearsupply . They have been great to work with and the shipments come quick. I have made a couple things from the grey sil seconds and couldn't find anything wrong with it.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Agreed! The online retailers that specialize in outdoor fabrics for do-it-yourselfers, just like us, is the only way to go, in my experience. You will be far happier in the long run.

I buy a ton of stuff (actually ounces of stuff) from DIYGearSupply.com and OWFINC.com
    I also buy from Thru-hiker.com and QuestOutfitters.com and TiGoat.com

Never been disappointed.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    If anyone knows of a good use for 4 yards of stretchy polyester micro-suede, please let me know. I am considering making some hats.
    ZQ here....if you still have the receipt and haven't cut into the fabric, you might be able to return it. It's worth a try!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/HHEXUL
    Tarp
    Varies by weather
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    My best bridge hammock fabric was purchased at JoAnns from the sale bin (Polyester microfiber about 1.9 oz in grey). So it is out there. But that doesn't mean my closet isn't filled with undesirable scraps purchased in pursuit of that elusive perfect fabric.

Three suggestions: 1) Take known samples of 1.1 and 1.9 oz fabrics with you and compare them with the stuff you are considering, you can tell if they are similar weights. 2) Avoid anything with lycra 3) at the corner, stretch both length and widthwise. Threads will often separate along the width, while that is OK for gathered end hammocks, it is no good for bridges.
    "only the paranoid survive" - Andy Grove, Intel

Search engines are your friend. Use "Site:hammockforums.net" in your search string.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you want to be absolutely sure of what you are getting buy _only_ from a specialized outdoor fabric outfitter. Mass market retail fabric stores are not at all concerned about some of the details we care about. If you don't really care about the weight then buy any where you want. You won't get the lightest available but it doesn't matter because that's not your primary concern.

Polyester micro suede makes fabulous lightweight shells. 4 yards @60" wide is easily more than enough. Check various companies for patterns. But that is closer to sewing than gear making.

Stretch is reasonable easy to test for. Grab a hunk of fabric in both hands and tug. Make sure you tug in line with the threads. If the fabric is stretchy you'll find out. Stretch comes in two types... 2 way and 4 way. If one direction stretches and the other doesn't it is 2 way. If all four stretch it is four way. Any woven fabric will stretch on the diagonals so make sure you test on the straight.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts