Homemade bugnet material?

I just made my first homemade hammock last night. I'm wanting to add a bugnet - I've read about using chifon. I found some bugnet type material on the $1 rack at Walmart this evening that might be just the right thing. Chifon has no stretch to speak of - this stuff is really stretchy - almost like a pair of panty hose. It is black as well. Is the no-see-um mesh stretchy or is it more like chifon?

Images
    No-u-see-um is not real stretchy. It is more like chifon than pantyhose. The knit material you have works well for larger bugs (skeeters, spiders and flies), but not for the tiny gnats known as no-u-see-um's.

Images
    I am in the same place as you. I am getting ready to start my bug netting.

I ordered some black noseeum from www.owfinc.com. I don't want any type of bug getting in there. Other than bugs I think the noseeum also lets less air movement through and is just a little heavier. I am waiting for the zipper to come to start it. What type of design are you thinking about? I am thinking of an oversized bug bizy similar to the one on Jeff's site.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I've bought some stuff that may be what you're talking about. It looks just like noseeum but it's stretchy. I think it's more like a sheer fabric than the bigger knit like what FD is thinking of...if it's the same stuff, it'll work fine for a bug net, even against noseeums. Just depends on how big the holes are.

I haven't weighed mine but I'm pretty sure it's much heavier than AYCE's nanoseeum if weight is important to you. I'm still experimenting with how I want to do my bug net so it's fine with me...once I get it settled I might spring for the lighter, more expensive stuff.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

I'm thinking of going with one I've seen from someone called Mirage - it is made a little longer with a zip cord running along the hem in the bottom. It is pulled tight so it snugs up against the bottom of the hammock.

http://www.peak.org/~webdawg/Hammock...s/Image11.html

Any comments - for or against - that type bugnet? Looks pretty easy to make.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think you only need a small section of shockcord. Shockcord is actually pretty heavy so you should try to eliminate as much as you can. If you're concerned about snugging up the coverage, you can put lightweight elastic around important areas, then just have the shockcord at the entry point so you can open/close/adjust.

But having never actually seen his project (so take it for what it's worth), the design seems sound.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Images

hammonk

great botttom cover going to have to make me one for sure great work!!!
    Bear bait what??? Your It!!!!!!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I've bought some stuff that may be what you're talking about. It looks just like noseeum but it's stretchy. I think it's more like a sheer fabric than the bigger knit like what FD is thinking of...if it's the same stuff, it'll work fine for a bug net, even against noseeums. Just depends on how big the holes are.
    Could one of you post a pic of this material?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It's packed away who knows where right now. Remind me when I get everything undone.

TNhunter,
    bug net with elastic in bottom --- That's what I use. It works fine if the net is high enough from top ridge to bottom. Otherwise, it can slip over instead of under the hammock.

About shock cord... Consider using 3/8 inch elastic instead of shock cord wherever the elastic has enough pull to do the job. Bug nets don't need a heavy pull.

• + New Posts