DIY underquilt...affordable and light?

I'm thinking about maybe making an underquilt. There is no way I can afford to buy one. How much does it cost to make one, how lightweight can you make it? My sleeping system consists of a hennessey ultralite asym backpacker, 15 degree bag, and fleece liner. I need to be warm for sub freezing temps, and could add a closed cell foam pad.

Hammock
    diy HH
    Tarp
    10' x 8' diy cat
    Insulation
    Full down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ straps
    There are a lot of factors that will effect the weight and cost. What type of insulation, what fabrics, what length. Cheap, Light, Warm. . . Pick two.

You could put a 3/4 length together that will get you to the 20's for about $100. That is using down and nylon.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE AND STRAPS
    Quote Originally Posted by lkaluzi View Post
    I'm thinking about maybe making an underquilt. There is no way I can afford to buy one. How much does it cost to make one, how lightweight can you make it? My sleeping system consists of a hennessey ultralite asym backpacker, 15 degree bag, and fleece liner. I need to be warm for sub freezing temps, and could add a closed cell foam pad.
    we need to know what type of insulation you want synthetic is cheaper but dont pack as small and is heavyer
    or if you go with down a normal sized full UQ good to 0* for just the supplies will run you at least 160's now thats for down.
    BT
    "Hang safe and enjoy the outdoors"

http://tqnt.webs.com/
    Turtle Quilts N Tarps
    your home for custom made products

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    AHE/WL/DiY
    Suspension
    straps and stuff
    I haven't made an UQ yet, but Scott over at DIYsupply has a plan for an IX underquilt that can be put together at an affordable cost. Would definitely check out that design. Also plenty of good information about designs here on HF. Good luck with your search and project.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    +1 on Streamline saying under $100

I make all my underquilts and it's a lot cheaper to do that way. I made a 3 season with 9oz of down that I've gotten down to 23F for $80. I also have a winter with 12 oz of down that I made for under $100. These are all 3/4 UQs too and they have worked awesome so far.

Fronkey

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    yeah 3/4 for around $100

make a 3/4 length UQ and use a 40 inch long pad folded over ... get the one the Jacks have for $10 ... at JacksRbetter weights nothing and will work in case you need to sleep in a shelter and will work as a sit pad... so it will have more than one use

all you need is 8oz of down 3 yards of 1.1 1yard of no see um and 18 foot of shock cord and 4 cord locks and you have a UQ

here is where i get my supplies when i make my Quilts

http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/isle.cgi?type=all

1.1 Ripstop $4.95 a yard thats $14.85
    Shock Cord $.25 a foot 18 foot is $4.50
    cord locks $.23 thats $.92
    No see um 1 yard $3.55

thats $23.82 say $28 with shipping

get your down from Hammockgear.com at $6.50 an oz thats
    $52 with free shipping and he will pack it any way you want... get it 1oz per bag

thats a total of $80 shipped for everything ....

a good size (the size i use) is 40x50 ... make it with 8 chambers with 3 inch baffles with an oz of down in each chamber it will fill out nice and will be good into the 20's easy ...
    make sure you make a differ. cut your chamber will be 5 inch wide so you bottom shell (against your back measure out 8-5inch chambers ...
    the top shell(the one to the outside) measure out 8-5.5inch chambers ... when you sew it together you will have extra on the top shell this will be your Differ. cut ... also make sure you add some to each side for the Differ cut say 2 -3 inch i always do 2 ... seems to work out nice
    should come in around 16oz and be good into the 20's

so $80 for everything and $10 for the pad +shipping from the Jacks and your under $100 for your entire setup

takes me 8-10 hours to make one but i can sew fast and i don't use pins i fold and sew as i go
    my first one took a few days .... so don't rush it.. take your time if you have any questions feel free to ask... i'm more than happy to help
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    +1 On under $100.

Mine sounds a lot like Fronkeys - 3/4 length, 9 oz of down, ~$50. Cost will be variable with the type of fabric and the biggest portion of the cost is the insulation. It is challenging but fun, and will take a good chunk of time - my UQ was the 1st DIY I ever attempted which definitely factors into how long it took.

That's also assuming you have access to a sewing machine. If you have to purchase one that adds to the cost as well.
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    There is a lot of controversy over the cost savings of DIY. While it is true that you can save money that is only likely when you already know what you are doing. I usually advise people not to get into the DIY game with saving as a prime motivator. Do you already have the machine and tools you need? If not that can run into money. Are you practiced in stitching? If not you can spend a surprising amount on scrap fabric to learn the ropes.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm saying don't over estimate the cost savings unless you already know know what you are doing.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    There is a lot of controversy over the cost savings of DIY. While it is true that you can save money that is only likely when you already know what you are doing. I usually advise people not to get into the DIY game with saving as a prime motivator. Do you already have the machine and tools you need? If not that can run into money. Are you practiced in stitching? If not you can spend a surprising amount on scrap fabric to learn the ropes.

I'm not saying don't do it. I'm saying don't over estimate the cost savings unless you already know know what you are doing.
    Very good point Rev .... startup cost if you don't have the right tools will cost you.. and like Rev said learning will cost you as well.
    thats why i stress to people new to making gear Take your Time ... get it right the first time don't rush
    old sheets work nice to practice on
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

• + New Posts