Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps

sock it!

Quote Originally Posted by lkaluzi View Post
    ... how to make my hammock warm, and I still don't know what to do. ... Again I don't know if this will be warm enough.
    Can you set up in your backyard or garage your gear and do a test overnighter at the current temp? It might give you an idea of what's working, and at how cold. At worst if it gets too cold you can just go back inside the house and figure out what to try next time.

Here's what worked for me as a total newb, on my first overnighter. I used a CCF ridgerest pad with a -3c sleeping bag. I also wore thermal base layer, fleece, toque, and fleece socks over my liner socks. I also used the hot water bottle trick. I stayed nice and warm all night which I heard reached near freezing temp.

Since it's going to get much colder I've been looking at making a hammock sock. I read that this simple light layer of cloth which cocoons your entire hammock, pads, quilts and all, will add another 10 degrees. Doesn't cost much to sew one if you can access a sewing machine.

Also, you could add a $15 fleece sleeping bag liner to get another 10.
    Last edited by dimeotane; 11-20-2011 at 11:30.

Hammock
    Grizz style Bridge
    Insulation
    Primaloft PL-1 UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide

A slightly different take

I am relatively new to hammocking, but have hiked a lot in the Whites of NH. When I started looking at hammocks it dawned on me the in the forrests and mountains of NH it might be difficult to find a good set of trees to hang from (tons of widow makers and other issues).

I saw a report from Zanaridg about hiking the AT and asked how easy it was to hang when he came through my neck of the woods. His response was that he used used an underquilt up until Hot Springs, NC. At that point it started to get really cold and he needed a pad for the Smokies, so he had his pad sent to him. He said that he more or less slept in the shelters the rest of the way...it was a bit warmer that way.

As to hanging in my area he said that he would generally camp around the shelters. The only tricky part was going through the presidential range in NH. But there are still options to drop below tree line and set up, or if you are thru-hiking, you can do work for stay at the huts.

I would suggest finding a DL hammock and using your pad. It will give you more options for hitting the shelters/huts etc... although I know based on my experiences in a hammock the pad blows compared to an underquilt.
    Ed
    Ed

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12