Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ya, but the squeeze is only happening on the rear part of the webbing, the opposite side of where the suspension lines are tied to. When you are able to wrap it around the tree with the longer webbing, then pull the webbing taught so that it is esentially "Strangling" the tree, and then tie the suspension on, it will not slip, no way. I'm telling you, it slips without being able to fully wrap around the tree, I wouldn't be lying, lol. I had to make the suspensions lines tighter so that it had a better grip on the trees before I sat in it. If it wasn't, it really didn't grip the trees that good and slid down.

Think of this. Tie a loop in a rope rope that has a bigger diameter then the rod put the loop around. Now if you are pulling perpindicular to the rod, that rope is going to stay put since you are pulling it perpidicular to the rod, its not going to slide up and down. Now if you pull parrellel to the rod, the rope will slide up and down the rod because the loop is larger then the rod and it is not gripping the rod so slides up and down the rod. The same thing is happening with the hammock, even though the tree adds more resistance with the bark, its still happening.
    If you were to tie the rope onto the rod with a round turn and two half hitches, it would grip the rod and the rope would stay on the same place on the rod no matter which way you pulled.

The tree that I am having problems with is a hardwood that has bark which is not very grippy, almost smooth.
    I need to get longer webbing

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    > Ya, but the squeeze is only happening on the rear part of the webbing,
    > the opposite side of where the suspension lines are tied to.

But the lines grip, too. I've hung hammocks with only lines, no tree huggers at all, so that doesn't seem to be it, either.

> larger then the rod

There's your problem. Quit hanging to rods and use some trees.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    > I almost never try to wrap the Hennessy straps
    > completely around the tree just because its much
    > easier to adjust their height if you don't wrap.

Bingo. I have never wrapped a strap or rope around a tree more than the one loop, and it's always easy to grab that loop and push up or down the tree as required to get the hang just right.

Never tried a tree with much lean, I admit -- there are so many trees of the preferred diameter (I like about 6"-8", too small to have huge limbs to drop on you, big enough not to bend when you get in the hammock) in the Ouachitas and Ozarks that you can always find a perfect setup.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12