Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    That building in the very first picture...is that for use by backpackers?
    Aargh... I typed a longish reply, was logged off (automatically) and now I have to retype....(so before posting now I copy the text, just in case....)

Anyway, the 'vierkants kåtan' (spelling?) is on Preben's place (http://www.nordkanot.se) and I am not sure if he rents it out or not. Loads of Dano's and trees though. I spent some nights in it but decided it was better to get back in the hammock and listen to the (young) moose running around. Heard a few nibbling about 20 meters from my hammock.

I should be back early march for a winter survival course and, with a wood stove in it I reckon it makes a nice winter palace. My hammock insulation is not up to those temps (yet)...

The pics are from around Västra Silen and Östra Silen in the Värmland area where I worked part of the summer. Pics were taken on a couple of days off.

Hard to beat bacon & eggs in the morning if you're out in the (definitely Piney) woods. But after a week or so, a change is welcomed.

An UQ and mozzienet is a must in my eyes. So is a stove since building a fire nowadays is restricted to the designated fire pits.

Some people think they can built a responsible fire, but I took some pics of firescars to prove them wrong. Half a liter (about 17 fl oz) of alcohol cooked all my meals on the Trangia with clikstand for a week.

Gear wise... all my stuff for the entire time I was there fits my Karrimor 45 ltr backpack (2746 cubic inches). Food for 9 days fitted my side pocket 12-15 liter volume (732 cu in). Having said that, once canoeing I transferred the stuff to a big blue barrel that also functioned as a dry bag, critter box and breakfast table.

Happy hanging!

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63

http://www.dutchunlimited.com
    http://dutchunlimited.com/english/

My YouTube

The automatic log off................
    I always do a CTRL+A and CTRL+C : select All and Copy my post, before hitting "Post quick reply" or "Summit reply" in advanced mode.

Thanks for sharing you experience born2roam.

I was looking for the rivers streams in Värmland.
    Do you know if the waters of the lakes and rivers (from Norway's borders) flow to the Vänern ? And then flow to the sea from Vänersborg to Göteborg.

It seems to me that most of the waters flow from Norway, and from north and north-west of Sweden to the North sea or the Baltic sea and gulf of Bothnia.
    And some rivers and lakes from Lapland may flow to the Artic sea, not sure.

The following map may be wrong !

Only find a list of rivers and lakes of Sweden, but nothing like this helpful list of rivers of Finland.

Hammock
    HH Explorer A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Stock+descender
    Welcome aboard from South Carolina!

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHex View Post
    The automatic log off................
    I always do a CTRL+A and CTRL+C : select All and Copy my post, before hitting "Post quick reply" or "Summit reply" in advanced mode.

Do you know if the waters of the lakes and rivers (from Norway's borders) flow to the Vänern ? And then flow to the sea from Vänersborg to Göteborg.
    I do that sometimes ... the copy before posting...it's the times I don't do it that get to me

Not sure about the direction of the flow. The are quite a few locks between all the lakes so, honestly I never looked into that......

Grtz Johan
    My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplaces of existence.

My YouTube

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hi Pat,
    Salutations du nord de la France....

A few comments on the hammock gear that is easily available in France...Some of the US gear may be better, but getting shipped to Europe makes it way too expensive.

1) The DD Frontline or Travel are excellent hammocks (about 56€). Cheaper than the Hennesy (About 122€). I have the Travel hammock, but may also purchase a Frontline. (IMO if you get a Hennesy, which are quite a bit dearer, go for the side zipped version. (But that's just a personally preference.)

2) Whichever hammock you get I suggest swap out the supplied suspension for a whoopie sling and tree strap set. DD sells these for around 30€. It makes setting up sooo much easier. The DD webbing supplied is not very good stuff. I don't know about the Hennesy, but many on this forum do the same conversion.

3) The DD 3x3 Tarp is an excellent piece of kit, the XL is huge... probably bigger than you'd need to be practical. I'd suggest the OD as opposed to the Camo, as it has more reinforced peg points.
    You'll need some decent longer pegs, and parachord to set up properly as the supplied stuff is bearly adequate, and you get no ridge line.

4) The Snugpak Underquilt is a big improvement over a camp pad in my opinion. It is snug and for me has been warm to -1°C with just as light 3 season centre zipped sleeping bag used upside down as a top quilt. DD sells these for about 80€.
    If you check out the video by RVops on Youtube they test both DD, Hennesy and Snugpak gear. They show how to cliop on the UQ using a small carabiner and prissik knot. This makes it very quick to install. Much easier than inflating and inserting a camp mat.

DD supplies very quickly to France, you even get a price in Euros on their site with no extra for shipping.

I've no connection to DD, but they have good & fast service, and I've been very pleased with their gear, that I've used on over 40 nights out this year since April.

Have a great and fun trip..
    Bon voyage

Cordialement
    Gareth

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Treestrap
    Welcome to the wide world of hammock hanging.
    Terry

Thank you guys !

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Hi Gareth !

Where are you living in France ?

Thank you for sharing your opinion and experience. It's very interresting and answers to a lot of my previous interrogations.

You are right, shipping to Europe from the USA is expensive, too much.
    I have family in the USA and in Canada, so buying some stuff over there, and asking my uncles to sent them back to me could be an alternative for saving a few bucks (and customs tax if considering the gear as Xmas gifts...)

The DD hammocks are good deals indeed for the reasons you wrote.
    But I move a lot during my sleep, and I was wondering if it will be large enough for me, in width. I'm not big but I don't like to be tight in my gear...
    Can you easily sleep in diagonal in the Frontline hammock ?

I'd like to buy a DD hammock for a first test, without tarp nor extra suspension system. And if I don't like it I might try the Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip.

About the tarp, I really like the octogonal shape of the HH Monsoon...
    And if I have to buy something from Hennessy's, I will probably order the hammock and this rainfly (and I would love to add the 2Q&ZQ modification #4..... Me dreaming !)
    But as you say, all those things are pretty much expensive.

It would be more reasonable to buy my gear at DD's and save some (more) money for my next coming long journey.
    I don't want to spent all my time in this hammock. There are so many other things to do in the swedish wilderness... and the nights are very short in summer !

One more question please, what is the model of your sleeping bag ? Is it a mummy shape ?

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Explorer (2QZQ Mod #4)
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Baby Orca & NoSniv
    Suspension
    Whoopie & biner
    Images
    Remember: UK Hammocks can deliver (some) Warbonnet gear too! No connection/interest other then a satisfied customer...

No import duties, whoopies are cheaper then € 30, hammocks are a bit pricier then DD, but wayyyyyy more quality (and less weight)....

Grtz Johan

My YouTube

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHex View Post
    Thank you guys !

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Hi Gareth !

Where are you living in France ?

I now live just north of Reims, (dans l'Aisne)... but I lived and worked for 17 years in Paris

Thank you for sharing your opinion and experience. It's very interresting and answers to a lot of my previous interrogations.

You are right, shipping to Europe from the USA is expensive, too much.
    I have family in the USA and in Canada, so buying some stuff over there, and asking my uncles to sent them back to me could be an alternative for saving a few bucks (and customs tax if considering the gear as Xmas gifts...)

Yes you have to watch the TVA and chargres... They charge you TVA on the TVA and postage.

The DD hammocks are good deals indeed for the reasons you wrote.
    But I move a lot during my sleep, and I was wondering if it will be large enough for me, in width. I'm not big but I don't like to be tight in my gear...

I too move a lot when I sleep in a bed, usually sleeping on my front. But in a hammock I find it so comfy that I sleep either on my back or half on my side. I don't move much either. I can lie on my side too but its not my favoured position in the hammock.
    I've read that you move because your body knows its not comfortable.. but in a hammock you ARE comfortable so you move less.

Can you easily sleep in diagonal in the Frontline hammock ?

The DD's are 1.4m wide by 2.7m long so I find easily big enough for me, I'm about 1.78m. I can sleep diagonally very well. Despite what you might see or read on the web, I find that a slacker hang is more comfortable. You see guys racking the hammocks tight, but that just pinches your shoulders. Too slack and you get a ridge down the middle. You need to experiment to find the comfort zone. But the DD's are pretty good.

I'd like to buy a DD hammock for a first test, without tarp nor extra suspension system. And if I don't like it I might try the Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip.

DD's are a good first hammock..without spending lots of roros....If you never want to go to ground the Frontline is the best choice. I've never found the Travel hammock produces condesnation though.
    For ease of use, spend the extra Euros to get whoopies.. the whole kit with straps & biners is 30€ from DD; but either DD or UK hammocks will do you the dyneema slings for about £12. Really they are worth it when you see the DD or other suspension. I got some climbing webbing 2cm chez Decathlon for tree straps, that I use and made some toggles from a broken tent pole.

About the tarp, I really like the octogonal shape of the HH Monsoon...
    And if I have to buy something from Hennessy's, I will probably order the hammock and this rainfly (and I would love to add the 2Q&ZQ modification #4..... Me dreaming !)
    But as you say, all those things are pretty much expensive.

You can pitch the DD 3x3 tarp diamond style and it covers really well. And it is cheap I paid £29 inc shipping to France. I think the prices may have gone up a bit though.

It would be more reasonable to buy my gear at DD's and save some (more) money for my next coming long journey.

DD gear really is good for the price, tough and no nonsesne, and more than adequate for your trip. You can get the hammock, tarp, suspension & underblanket for 230€ delivered. That's a real bargin.
    If there are articles you don't like or want after you get other stuff, you can always sell on these forums, BushcraftUK, Le boncoin....etc.

I don't want to spent all my time in this hammock. There are so many other things to do in the swedish wilderness... and the nights are very short in summer !

One more question please, what is the model of your sleeping bag ? Is it a mummy shape ?

I got a Highlander Ranger 1 Softshell here: http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/sh...er-666758.html It is light pack to the size of a small rugby ball and is surprisingly warm for such a light bag. It is tough and well made. Combined with the Snugpak UQ it is a cheap solution. I managed to put together my whole hammock camping kit that pack into my modified Alice/Molle pack for around 300€. That dosn't even buy some of the highend hammocks or UQ's.
    The gear all works really well. As I aid I've doen 40 nights out this year in real comfort.
    Cheers
    Gareth

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by born2roam View Post
    Remember: UK Hammocks can deliver (some) Warbonnet gear too! No connection/interest other then a satisfied customer...

No import duties, whoopies are cheaper then € 30, hammocks are a bit pricier then DD, but wayyyyyy more quality (and less weight)....

Grtz Johan
    I got my whoopies from Uk Hammocks, same price as DD... From DD 30€ gets you tree straps an biners too.. (just to be clear).

Yes indeed Mat does very nice hammocks, but I personally can't justify £150 for a hammock. I have no doubt that his products are excellent quality and as you say probably lighter than DD. I've read good things about his products and was pleased with the serice I got for my small purchase. They day I want a custom made hammock I'd definitely consider him over importing a US product.

But my Travel hammock, with whoppies and straps in a sylnylon dry sack weighs just over 1kg.

Its all a choice between a mass produced article and a handmade piece. My gear does what I want it to, does it well and is in my price range.

cheers
    Gareth

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast