Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raccoons

Raccoons

Well, last couple of outings I have been woke up by raccoons fiddling around with my hammock. Just me and my quilts in it.

anyone else have an issue or suggestions to deal with it?????

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    Ridge Rest Pad
    Suspension
    Wratchet Straps

nibbles

What are the chances you had toothpaste in your pocket, or a smear of dinner on your jacket? They've got a very good sense of smell.

Every time I've had coons prowling the campsite, they went straight for the food.

Out of curiousity where were you camping? Were you wilderness camping or at a campground? I think Shug had a section in one of his videos showing how in wilderness you can look for paths made by animals and try to avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by Manymiles View Post
    Well, last couple of outings I have been woke up by raccoons fiddling around with my hammock. Just me and my quilts in it.

anyone else have an issue or suggestions to deal with it?????

Hammock
    DIY Whipped End
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx.
    Insulation
    DIY UQ by Mule
    Suspension
    Web'g@Buckles

Raccoons

Raccoons that habituate established camping areas become used to the human presence. They are emboldened by folks accidentally leaving out scraps and by those who intentionally feed them. They will walk all over you and not think a thing about it. I seldom ever camp in an established camp ground. I prefer to camp some where less frequented where contact is nil. I have never been hassled by raccoons out away from established camping. If you are camping in state parks, family campgrounds and etc., get used to it! You are in their living room! The only way that I know to deter racoons is an old trick used to keep them out of the garden. You can pour fox urine around around a perimeter and they will generally not enter in as they are afraid of predators. But I do not know if this would work in a campground situation. Good luck!
    Never confuse the facts with the truth! It ain't easy bein' geezy

Hammock
    HH BU
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon
    Insulation
    I just suck it up
    Suspension
    HH
    The only time I've seen raccoons come into a camp site wilderness camping was where someone had left food.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    BCUSA Multicam
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    If there is a food source the coons will find it. This year they started eating my chicken feed, and then moved on to the chickens. I lost over 35 to the little buggers this year.
    Erin Go Bragh!

Hammock
    Bear Mountain Bridge
    Tarp
    No HouseFly
    Insulation
    Down uq & tq
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    I've never had a problem with wildlife while backpacking except for a mouse that tried to make a nest in one of my boots and chewed a couple of holes in my sock. I thought it was so cute when it came out from under that log to lick up the remains of my dinner from the pot.

As a kid, camping at a state park campground in Ohio, we used to always have raccoons and skunks prowling around the camp sites. They'd even come right up under the picnic tables while we were sitting there playing cards at night.
    Don't alter my altar
    don't desecrate my shrine
    My church is the water
    and my home is underneath the shady pines

From the song "One Man's Shame" by William Elliot Whitmore

Images
    I agree the smell of food is what's bring them into your camp.
    Might be time to wash everything to get the smells out of your gear.
    I would also recommend a scent free soap.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    We camped at our local metropark and were woke up by horendous sounds that ended up being racoons getting in the trash cans. They were the domed type that close up with a swinging door. One of them came back later that night and got stuck inside. I pulled the top off and let him out. The Park guy came by the next morning and said they euthanize any wildlife they find stuck in trash cans. At any rate they are sure to come around where ever there is food.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    The raccoons in my yard don't mess with me or my stuff. It MAY be because I put out a lot of food for "The critters" (Birds, squirrels, etc.) as do a lot of locals (My back yard neighbor feeds her dogs outside, but they spend the night inside.) so it may be that they are well fed & not interested in me.

Coons are nearly as smart as Rats*, so you had better have "Your Game ON!" when dealing with anything to keep em from your food, or food smells. Plus, they are just pure curiosity, so it may be an endless battle just because.

*Just so you know, I feel that Rats actually rule the world, they just let us think we do! Like I said, SMART!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Quote Originally Posted by HONDO LANE View Post
    If there is a food source the coons will find it. This year they started eating my chicken feed, and then moved on to the chickens. I lost over 35 to the little buggers this year.
    Are raccoons edible?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast