My DIY bridge hammock project is just about done. I've named the hammock the "Sydney Arbor Bridge" in (dubious) honor of a reasonably well known steel arch bridge just down the road from where I live.
I more or less followed Grizz's 'GrizzBridge' instructions. Not being much for programming in Perl I redid his curve calculator in Excel in metric. Unlike Grizz, I made curve-shaped end caps by using soft wire to shape the arc. This was mostly because I found Grizz's "rectangle to arc" end-cap instructions too difficult to understand & implement. For those that like stats, it's about 2m long and the spreader bars are 36" at the head end and 24" at the foot. The curve is 18cm at its deepest (just to keep things interesting for myself, I made some of the measurements in metric and some in the old money). The hammock weighs about 870g and the bars about 230g for a total weight of around 1.1kg including stuff sacks, so it won't win any UL awards.
Materials used and sources were:
Spotlight: 1.9 Ripstop nylon, polyester thread, grosgrain, elastic cord.
Bunnings: Foot-end spreader bar (10mm & 12mm aluminium tubing), stainless steel washers, small pipe cutter.
Mountain Equipment: Climbing grade 1/2" tubular webbing.
AMTC Gear: Descender rings.
Whitworths marine: Liros 3mm hollow-braid Dyneema.
Quest Outfitters: Head end spreader bar (0.625"), pipe cutter, #5 zipper, grosgrain, noseeum mesh.
Arrowhead Equipment: mitten hooks & cord locks.
DIY Gear Supply: 2mm tech cord, 2mm Lash-it.
Warbonnet: tree straps & buckles from my Blackbird.
Photos were taken by Sydney's middle harbour.