Tarp
    DIY 9' rectangle
    Insulation
    NoSniv, 3/4 HG 20*
    Suspension
    UCRs/Straps
    Images

$300 full DIY set up

So I am newly married and on a budget so that we can really go gung-ho on our student loans but I am still trying to get a full working set up together. I recently got a sewing machine (I still feel like a goober calling it a thread injector) and I seem to be catching on pretty quickly and I enjoy the tinkering, like any good man would.

I have been working on ideas for a full DIY setup and I kept wondering how much money I would actually save by making everything myself. Today I went ahead on estimations of fabrics and priced it out and to my surprise it was under $300! Good news for the bank account

My thoughts were that I would start with the hammock, since that will be my first project with ripstop and it is the easiest. Then I would progress in difficulty and hope that my skill acquisition keeps up with the demands of the project.

Project progression as planned: hammock -> tarp -> UQ -> TQ

So here are the materials, sites and prices listed out. I tried to use as few sites as possible and I got lazy on the TQ and went with a kit but it probably pretty close and it is made with momentum rather than 1.1, probably over kill but it was easier. If someone wants to price out the materials with the sites I would appreciate it for comparison. These are all pre-tax and w/o shipping.

Hammock:
    3yds- 1.5 ripstop (I am 220lbs) -> DIYgearsupply.com= $10.05
    30ft- 7/64 amsteel -> DIYgearsupply.com= $7.50
    20ft- 1" polyester webbing -> DIYgearsupply.com= $8.00

Tarp: (going for something similar to a Big Daddy or Mamba Jamba
    7yds- 1.1 silnylon 2nds -> DIYgearsupply.com= $38.50
    3yds- 1/2" grosgain -> DIYgearsupply.com= $0.84
    6 linelocs -> DIYgearsupply.com= $1.64

UQ: (will be upgraded to down eventually. Wife will inherit this one)
    4yds- 1.1 ripstop -> DIYgearsupply.com= $12.80
    2yds- 5.0 oz ClimaSheild Apex -> Thru-hiker.com= $31.90
    25ft- 1/8" shockcord -> DIYgearsupply.com= $6.25

TQ
    kit from Thru-hiker.com= $159.95

100ft of Zing-it for guylines and ridgelines from outdoortrailgear.com= $22.00

Grand Total: $299.47

Pretty sweet huh?!?!

I figure this setup would get me to 20* pretty comfortably. I know there are some hardware pieces that I did not include but I didn't want to hunt down the prices for prices. Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.6x9.6
    Insulation
    AH New River UQ
    Suspension
    Came with the BB
    Images
    That is sweet. Its you people with the ambition that is going to get me into going the DIY route. I've tried several times and failed more or less.

Great work on your research.
    I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority. - E. B. White (1899 - 1985)

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    If that is a gathered-end hammock, I would get 3.5 or 4 yards. I weigh 240 or so, and would use 1.9oz ripstop. Actually, I'd prefer polyester for the body material. Are you sure 9 feet of fabric is enough? Of course, there is no end to personal preferences in a project like this.

I don't remember how much Amsteel I bought, but I've used a good bit learning to splice it properly.

Hammock
    SGT Rock Ghost clone
    Tarp
    DIY 9' rectangle
    Insulation
    NoSniv, 3/4 HG 20*
    Suspension
    UCRs/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DavyRay View Post
    If that is a gathered-end hammock, I would get 3.5 or 4 yards. I weigh 240 or so, and would use 1.9oz ripstop. Actually, I'd prefer polyester for the body material. Are you sure 9 feet of fabric is enough? Of course, there is no end to personal preferences in a project like this.

I don't remember how much Amsteel I bought, but I've used a good bit learning to splice it properly.
    I think the 1.5 ripstop would work for me. I estimated the numbers based off of the weight ratings listed on the warbonnet site. I am 5'11" so with the hight+2' formula for a gathered end hammock this should do just about right. I would probably use the whole 3yds to make it as long as I could.

When I order materials I will definitely order a little extra of everything for wiggle room (read: to compensate for screwing up) and to build up a supply for modifying bought gear and general tinkering.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Balloons
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClockWork View Post
    I think the 1.5 ripstop would work for me. I estimated the numbers based off of the weight ratings listed on the warbonnet site. I am 5'11" so with the height+2' formula for a gathered end hammock this should do just about right. I would probably use the whole 3yds to make it as long as I could.

When I order materials I will definitely order a little extra of everything for wiggle room (read: to compensate for screwing up) and to build up a supply for modifying bought gear and general tinkering.
    Sounds good. You've done your homework.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    height plus 2 finished or started? I'd add another yard of hammock material ans use leftovers for stuff sacks. YMMV.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClockWork View Post
    I think the 1.5 ripstop would work for me. I estimated the numbers based off of the weight ratings listed on the warbonnet site. I am 5'11" so with the height+2' formula for a gathered end hammock this should do just about right. I would probably use the whole 3yds to make it as long as I could.

I think that you need 2' at each end. So, 5'11" plus 4 feet= 9'11" + seam allowance. Your better off getting the 4 yrds. It may kick you over your $300, but your would be better off.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    SGT Rock Ghost clone
    Tarp
    DIY 9' rectangle
    Insulation
    NoSniv, 3/4 HG 20*
    Suspension
    UCRs/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    I think that you need 2' at each end. So, 5'11" plus 4 feet= 9'11" + seam allowance. Your better off getting the 4 yrds. It may kick you over your $300, but your would be better off.
    I will have to play around with this some more. I have an ENO dblnest so I will get something to make a RL out of and play with the lay and then make my final call on length off of that.

The goal wasn't to be under $300 actually. I really wasn't trying to get by as cheap as possible either but it was kinda cool that it turned out THAT close to $300.

I am pretty weight conscious (as much as you can be on a budget anyway) so if I can get away with a shorter hammock (not baring comfort, of course) then I will do that just to save some weight. But... that is another discussion for many other threads.

Keep the feedback coming guys. This is great

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    Looks like a great starting point to me.

I've ordered a down filled pillow from ebay (waiting for it to arrive still) that I plan to use the down to fill both a TQ and UQ. Hard to beat the down per dollar.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    SGT Rock Ghost clone
    Tarp
    DIY 9' rectangle
    Insulation
    NoSniv, 3/4 HG 20*
    Suspension
    UCRs/Straps
    Images
    Amsteel is in and Whoopies are made! set up is coming along. Waiting to see if I get any materials for Christmas before I go and buy any more. Any other thoughts on this whole thing?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast