Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight

Newbie looking for some answers...

Hey, so I have been around only for a couple days and you all seem to be pretty smart about gear. I have a few questions that might come in handy for some of the other new guys too.

Starting from scratch. Wow I know huh...who is this guy?! lol

I used to day hike and do camp trips with friends and we all shared gear. Now after years of sitting on my a** behind a computer screen at work, as well for at night...I need to get out. I decided to get back to hiking and camping and photography. However I don't have the gear I need. I have a great 3 season bag that I love and is warmer than I can ever ask for. However I need to build my kit from there. I wont need a tent if I get a hammock/bag.

I have a check list but if you were to recommend the necessities, what would you suggest. These are the things I know I need to look at.

Hammock (do they come with everything you need or do I need to add on such as bug netting, fly, and webbing to hang it up)?

Next most important thing...cooking. I know I can get by on fruit, and bars but I obviously would like to make something hot. What kind of stove for a single camper and pots?

I have boots, and a 2 day backpack (soft). and clothing (layers).

Besides the normal personal camping stuff any other gear I need to be thinking about?

Thanks for your assistance! I am gung ho and ready to get out there...when its not so cold. I might do some close by outdoor hammock sleeping to try it while its cold (close to home) to get started.

Did I ask to much?

Scott
    Last edited by sdveirs; 01-07-2007 at 20:38.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=413

I'd do a search on White Blaze about stoves. I just eat Cliff bars and trail mix.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    So, are these "recommended" hammocks listed in the hammock makers post - or are they just there as pretty pictures that refer to the maker for that link?

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=191

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Search for "gear lists" and you'll see what other folks bring. You can google it and get a lot, and you can search at whiteblaze.net (another site run by attroll) and trailforums to get more. Remember - the only difference between a 7 day kit and a 1 day kit is the amount of food you bring. Everything else you add on to get you through 7 days is just luxury. If you don't use it every day and it's not an emergency/safety item, you don't need it. It might be nice to have, and you might still choose to bring it, but consider it a luxury and not a need...that's the first step to enjoying backpacking. My gear list is here.

Some hammocks come with everything you need, like the Hennessy and Speer. Others are just the hammock and you need to purchase/make tarps and bug nets separately.

For cooking, check into Freezer Bag Cooking (FBC). It's probably the easiest, most convenient way to cook, be healthy and still pick your own menu. I use either an alcohol stove or the JetBoil.

There are lots of option on camping and hiking...none of them are wrong unless they're unsafe. Weight, gear, hiking speed, etc - it's all personal choice. If it works for you and everyone else makes fun of it - piss on 'em...they're not the ones carrying your pack or sleeping in your gear! So take everyone's advice with a grain of salt. Try out lots of new things (like wearing a bright green quilt instead of bringing a jacket, for example), keep what you like and ignore the rest.

Enjoy your testing!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    http://www.tothewoods.net/GearList.html
    http://jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Gear%20List.htm

Check out the gear lists on the links above as a good starting point. Whole books have been written on this and that stove thing is about like the tents or hammocks arguments. The WhiteBlaze forums will have a lot of gear info on them.

I am a fan of the Mosquito hammock that JRB sells for a beginner. If you have a good 20 degree bag this hammock has a pocket for a basic foam pad and is easy to use. I have a couple friends that wanted to convert to hammocks but wanted to use thier bags and pads. This has worked good for them. You will need a tarp. They run from about $30 up from various places discussed in previous threads on this forum and Whiteblaze.

Good Luck and keep it light to enjoy the trip. Light does not have to be expensive. Just don't skimp on the sleeping insulation choices.

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Welcome sdveirs! If you're looking for a comprehensive gear list, I just updated mine for my AT thru-hike attempt coming up in 2 months. Literally everything I'll need (for colder weather situation) is listed w/pics, descriptions, weights, cost, etc.

Here the link: http://trailjournals.com/gear.cfm?trailname=4316
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great list, Michele. Didn't realize they designed headlamps for kitty waists...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    Great list, Michele. Didn't realize they designed headlamps for kitty waists...
    LOL!!! Henry is a little more "girthy" than he used to be......so to my suprise, it fit him perfectly! The Wigwam Thermal Cap fit nicely too!
    This is my signature.

Images
    Not having any gear is not a bad place to be in. I basically was in the same place 1.5-2 years ago. I was just getting back into it after not hiking since high school. All this means is that you have some testing and research to do. Too me that is half the fun, but I am also a gearhead.

The good thing about this is that you are not attached to anything that you have already bought that is not the best option for you. I have a bunch of gear that does not work, but is cool.

One thing that I do that really works well is picking one piece of gear, research it, and get one that works then move on to another one. A hammock for a shelter is a good start. Then get a decent quilt/bag and a pack. The rest are just small details.

Check out www.hikinghq.net and www.whiteblaze.net . Rock has a lot of info on his site and knows just about all there is to know about alcohol stoves. I upgraded to a 3 or 4 oz alcohol stove that costed under $5 from my $100 MSR 1+ pound stove. Only thing to keep in mind is that the fuel needs to be warm, not the air temp. I carry a 1 oz nalgene container to warm it first. I have boiled in 20 deg temps this way. Just can't be in a hurry.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast