WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Sorry, I have not read all of this thread.
    I'm in if you have it, might I suggest East fork lake for the following reasons: Close to home for you (& me ). Easy terrain for those with a recent bad back, but interesting enough to reduce boredom. Water is available, usually. There are some interesting,,, historical areas, well, remains of abandoned (read: Taken by the government) homesteads. A few views of the lake. After maintaining the Backpacker trail for about 7 years, I know shortcuts if need to bail due to whatever reason. Both of the regular campsites (#1 & #2) are less than 1/2 mile from a road so easy enough for evacuation in the unlikely event it's needed. I got back issues also, so I so understand "the best laid plans of mice & men,,,,"
    Drawbacks: "Must camp in one of 4 designated back country shelter / camp sites. Water CAN be,,,, "Iffy" at times. regardless of campsite, you can almost always hear the sounds of the highway. Even in dry times, there are often swampy areas to traverse, although in the last 20 years these are becoming less as the surrounding tees mature & thereby draw more water from the surrounding soil.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hey Doctari, I had a military applicant show up to work who was into backpacking and hammocking as well as climbing, said he went down to Red River Gorge to climb and saw some hammockers down there, a crazy older guy wearing a kilt!.. any chance that was you? If so, you inspired another hanger and you never knew it, haha

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    Hey Doctari, I had a military applicant show up to work who was into backpacking and hammocking as well as climbing, said he went down to Red River Gorge to climb and saw some hammockers down there, a crazy older guy wearing a kilt!.. any chance that was you? If so, you inspired another hanger and you never knew it, haha
    I'm just about the only "crazy older guy wearing a kilt" I know. & I'm the 4th craziest guy I know, so Must be me.
    I wore shorts during the thanksgiving hike & will NEVER do that again. Well, unless it's Real cold. In my defense, I HAD to try the shorts one more time, just to see if my wearing a kilt was as good an idea as I think, It IS!

If you see him again, I'm glad I could help & inspire!

BTW, I finally read the entire post. If we are hiking in, I stand by my suggestion of Eastfork, mostly anyway. Camp/shelter area #1 is an easy (3/4 mile?) walk back to the cars (One of my shortcuts) so we can bring our own water. There are ample hanging ops behind the shelter. BUT, there are signs of it being a "Party area" & the privy is minus it's doors & 1 of the 2 seats. Area 2 is in similar shape AND a further walk from "Civilization". I have not been to the group campground, so can offer no opinion, & I've only been near camp #3, but know it too is only about 1/2 mile from road access.
    I do know of quite a few "Bootleg" areas in the park that 2 or 3 can hang without issue, but,,,,,,, OK, I'll let it at that.
    Also, There are a few nice "Bootleg" sites in Caesar Creek on the Mt Bike (Multi use actually) trail, a few of them overlooking the lake & only about 2 - 3 miles in. I THINK that there is A back-country campsite, somewhere on the NW side of the lake, but I haven't seen it, will try to find out a bit more. I"m up there semi often, but only mid summer to late fall, & right now, I cant get up there. .

Within reason, I'll hike almost anywhere, so pencil me in.
    Last edited by Doctari; 12-12-2011 at 12:46.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    I have gotten no new information by emails or calls.

I've been to East Fork several times...not one of my faves, but then that was like 15 years ago and lets face it, a lot changes in 15 years Heck the trees would bigger now.

I would think we can certainly come up with a decent area that includes water and such though. Makes it easier on even any that would be coming in from out of state.

Off topic...but we have a guy here in Newark that is always out and about in his Kilt. (and yes, the bad side of me has always wanted to peek) As a matter-of-fact I thought his legs would be getting really cold, but we saw him yesterday at the pharmacy and he had tights on. My son...being the smart ___ that he is, said "nice tights" and the guy gruffly and with a very deep voice replied back "they're kilt tights dude, and not for the week at heart".

Hammock
    E.N. dbl, Exped Scout, G.T. pro
    Tarp
    H.H Hexfly,
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie pie
    Images
    I mentioned a invite to the western Pa winter hang earlier, it is planned for the weekend of Feb 17th In the Allegheny National Forest. Here is a link to our current thread if anyone from Ohio is interested in hitting ours as well.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...828#post612828
    "They sell canned water ...they call it Coors."

Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Quote Originally Posted by Myteathor View Post
    I mentioned a invite to the western Pa winter hang earlier, it is planned for the weekend of Feb 17th In the Allegheny National Forest. Here is a link to our current thread if anyone from Ohio is interested in hitting ours as well.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...828#post612828
    Thank you so much for the invite, I missed that post. Personally for me, I think a February in PA will be more than I can handle. Hopefully some of our more experienced hangers can make it...well not just experienced, but anyone ready for winter hanging (sorry). I'd love to be able to make all of the hangs It sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun!

Hammock
    E.N. dbl, Exped Scout, G.T. pro
    Tarp
    H.H Hexfly,
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie pie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    Thank you so much for the invite, I missed that post. Personally for me, I think a February in PA will be more than I can handle. Hopefully some of our more experienced hangers can make it...well not just experienced, but anyone ready for winter hanging (sorry). I'd love to be able to make all of the hangs It sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun!

I might try to make it to yours as well, But with my job I never know where I will be in the country that far ahead. It sounds like you guys are going to have a great gig going for years though.
    "They sell canned water ...they call it Coors."

Hammock
    Hennessey Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    Lots of it!!!!
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Was the site of the Winter hang good enough to be considered for the Spring hang?
    Silver on the Sage, Starlit Sky's above, Swingin' from the trees in a Hammock that I love.....

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1ecoyote View Post
    Was the site of the Winter hang good enough to be considered for the Spring hang?
    IMO it sure is, more to come(video) when I can upload it from home.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Quote Originally Posted by HamMike View Post
    IMO it sure is, more to come(video) when I can upload it from home.
    +19 I wish I had a longer message

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast