Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    WB Strap - Buckle
    Images

Upcoming 4 Day Trip With Puppy...Recommendations

We just got a redbone coonhound puppy (9 weeks now) last week and we are planning on taking her with us...Right now she is 12 lbs. and has put on 2 lbs since we got her a week ago...We have a 4 day/3 night trip planned for the end of September and I am looking for any recommendations on how to make this trip enjoyable for her ...Our plan is to hike 10-15 miles per day...Our plan is to take her on ALL our trips and figured if we started her young that she would really enjoy it...

Here is what we are thinking, since she is so small (right now) we are figuring she should be able to sleep with one of us...Our only concern with this is her toe nails tearing our hammock or TQ...We are thinking that maybe we should get her some booties to wear while she is in the hammock...Right now she eats about 2 cups of food/day so by the time we leave it could be 3 cups...We will figure out when the time is close how much we will need for her...Also, we will plan on taking some treats for her too...My wife is planning getting a small bell for her, a harness, 15' leash (for tying her off at night in case she get's out of the hammock), collapsible food/water dish and booties...

If there is anything else that we are forgetting or you would recommend please let me know...Thanks!!!

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Wb mambajamba
    Insulation
    Pheonix20 golite1s
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Do not take a puppy on a hike. You have to get them used to the strain and they should be at least 8 months before you start training.

Edit: before you start reading what idiots are saying look it up

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...or-a-long-hike

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/o...h-your-dog.htm

http://www.backpacker.com/june_09_th...s/13140?page=2

A 12 week old puppy can not cover a mile let alone 10-15 miles a day for 4 days
    Last edited by dankie; 08-28-2012 at 16:21.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Booties would be a good idea, not only to protect the hammock, but to protect her feet over that kind of distance, too. Much like a human, dogs have to work up to being able to handle that level of exercise while she builds up the muscles. Make sure to take frequent breaks and bring plenty of water, letting her drink all she wants when you stop.

Our cocker spaniel Vaquita sleeps in the hammock with one of us with no problem, but we did usually have her leash attached to the ridgeline of the Hennessy, especially once she figured out how to work the bottom entry to get out herself if she needed to pee.

For our larger one, we have a cable tie-out strung high between our hammocks (we usually go for the three-tree setup), to which we attach her leash, clipped to her harness -- that way she has a dog run under the tarps.

Enjoy the hike, and make sure to work on heeling you while you're hiking -- always good to build that habit early!
    "Can't we all just live in trees and hammocks?"
    -- Sam Gribley, My Side of the Mountain

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    I agree. 10-15 miles is a lot for a puppy. That dog will have to take twenty steps for every one you take. You should at least plan on carrying it for a good portion of the day. Keep the dog on a leash, especially the young ones. They'll go running after the first thing that looks like it wants to play and it won't care how loudly or how many times you call its name.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Maybe, if you were planning to carry her the entire way, and even then, no. There are responsibilities in being a dog owner.

Hammock
    hennesy ultra light
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    That is a bit young for such a long hike . But on a happy note u can get her a backpack when she gets older and she can carry her own stuff. We r getting our one year old mutt used to the trail and pack. Little trips for now mile or five. She carrys her own water for now.
    As a wise man once said "If woman don't find you handsome at least they'll find you handy." Hang in there.

Hammock
    WWBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    WB Strap - Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dankie View Post
    Do not take a puppy on a hike. You have to get them used to the strain and they should be at least 8 months before you start training.

Edit: before you start reading what idiots are saying look it up

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...or-a-long-hike

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/o...h-your-dog.htm

http://www.backpacker.com/june_09_th...s/13140?page=2

A 12 week old puppy can not cover a mile let alone 10-15 miles a day for 4 days
    Thanks for the links...Lots of good information in them...

I failed to mention that we will have a puppy sling that I will be wearing and carrying her most of the day, everyday...I'm very aware that a puppy has short bursts of energy and sleeps most of the day just like a baby...We covered a 7.5 mile loop over the past weekend and she walked maybe a 1/4 of that...The rest of the time she was in the sling sleeping...She will ALWAYS be on a leash regardless of where we are and the trail we are hiking is pet approved and we have seen many people on this trail with dogs of all sizes...

Again thank you for those links because there is alot of great information there and I forwarded them on to my wife so she can read them also...

Hammock
    WWBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    WB Strap - Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daveocelott View Post
    That is a bit young for such a long hike . But on a happy note u can get her a backpack when she gets older and she can carry her own stuff. We r getting our one year old mutt used to the trail and pack. Little trips for now mile or five. She carrys her own water for now.
    I know it's a long hike but she will be riding 2/3 of the trip...LOL...I like the idea of her being able to carry her own water and food when she is 1.5-2 years old!!!...

Hammock
    WWBB 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20* TQ - UQ
    Suspension
    WB Strap - Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Maybe, if you were planning to carry her the entire way, and even then, no. There are responsibilities in being a dog owner.
    Yep I will be carrying her 75%-80% of the way...Yep I totally agree that there are responsibilities to being a pet owner, this is why I was asking for recommendations about taking the best care for her during the trip!!...

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Wb mambajamba
    Insulation
    Pheonix20 golite1s
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank29 View Post
    Yep I will be carrying her 75%-80% of the way...Yep I totally agree that there are responsibilities to being a pet owner, this is why I was asking for recommendations about taking the best care for her during the trip!!...
    The best recommendation is not taking a 12 week old into the wilderness. Please ask your vet before you do this. While pups are younger than 1 vets ask you not to walk them as their bones are still developing. let It run around your garden, but don't over exercise it!!

How much time when you are covering 10-15 miles a day do you think you will have to care for your puppy?

Would you take a 1 and a half year old into the wilderness planning to cover 10-15 miles a day?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast