I guess this counts at DIY.
I finally got off my arse and got some work done on the gear closet. We had a small electrical fire here at the house last year...no wood caught, but the insulation melted off a bunch of (the previous owners slap-dash-craptastic) wires going through the basement and a closet. Long story short, I had to tear up the dry walled ceiling and everything in this closet. It went from this:
Stucco and Fake Brick with 70's vintage brown shag carpeting!
Aromatic Red Cedar Paneling, Oak Ikea floors and Oak Trim and shelf bracing, with Ikea cabinet doors re-purposed as shelves. And slatwall on the left side wall with slatwall hooks to hang packs and quilts.
The idea behind is that I'll have different seasons of gear in the various bins, including one bin (yet to be packed) that will be a "Bail Out Bin". The aromatic cedar paneling pulls moisture out of gear and does an amazing job pulling the smoke smell out of gear, and everything can be easily reached and thrown in the car (garage is just down the hall) in minutes.
I still have to add a ceiling and a light switch to power the twin 24" florescent tubes I'm going to permanently install over the doorway projecting into the closet. Plus make a threshold to transition from the 70's vintage carpeting in the hall to the wood floor in the closet.
All in all, I think I spent about $80 to build this closet.