Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps

Questions from a n00b

I just joined HF a few weeks ago. I've been perusing the site and trying to get some ideas about how to proceed since I've never used a hammock before (long time backpacker, though).

After giving it some thought I've just ordered a GT UL, Coghlan's mosquito net and some 'biners (to replace the "S" hooks). Besides a tarp, what else will I need for my first attempt?

I don't intend to go in the winter and will wait until it's warm enough not to need any significant insulation like over/under quilts. I do have the means to play around during the winter so I can figure out how to get everything set up.

I can see the WBBB and whoopie slings in my future, but for now I just need to figure out the basics. Any help/opinions would be appreciated!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Considering your location - I would have thought winter gear would have been some first steps!!

With the GT UL and biners all you really need is some tree straps (the ones that come are knotted cord I believe - removed mine right away!). Any of the vendors would have a set for a decent price.

Other than that - just some time and patience and your set. Have a blast!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Welcome! Sling 'er up and hang away!

Even in warmer weather you may find you need some light bottom insulation. It can get chilly enough to border on uncomfortable even if you are comfortable walking around.

Defintitely get winter insulation when you go back to Hoth.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    you're gonna need some insulation. Usually the rule is 70*F and below most require insulation at least on the bottom. You dont need an underquilt a simple ccf pad will do fine.

padawan you are... jedi you will be.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Or just get yourself a decently light Tauntaun, slice that sucker up and hang as needed!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Or just get yourself a decently light Tauntaun, slice that sucker up and hang as needed!
    LOL. I was just going to say he should get one of the cottage vendors to make a tauntaun UQ. He'll need nose plugs though because as we all know the inside smells worse than the outside.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Econ
    Suspension
    Python straps
    I have both a CCF and multiple inflatable pads so bottom insulation is covered. I'm a native Texan who's been in the Western New York area (aka "Hoth" to me!) for about seven years. I'd like to get comfortable in warm weather before attempting a winter trip, especially since things like underquilts and down parkas are so pricey.

I also have the issue of being a "cold" sleeper. My hiking buddy is comfortable in his skivvies down to about freezing, but anything below 50 degrees means I'm breaking out my 20 degree bag.

I got a chuckle out of all the Star Wars jokes! I must be in the right place...

Hammock
    DIY DL/HH Hyperlite/WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    HHSS/DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    LOL. I was just going to say he should get one of the cottage vendors to make a tauntaun UQ. He'll need nose plugs though because as we all know the inside smells worse than the outside.
    It's more like a pod really, and mostly a DIY kinda job

Quote Originally Posted by Datahiker View Post
    I have both a CCF and multiple inflatable pads so bottom insulation is covered. I'm a native Texan who's been in the Western New York area (aka "Hoth" to me!) for about seven years. I'd like to get comfortable in warm weather before attempting a winter trip, especially since things like underquilts and down parkas are so pricey.

I also have the issue of being a "cold" sleeper. My hiking buddy is comfortable in his skivvies down to about freezing, but anything below 50 degrees means I'm breaking out my 20 degree bag.

I got a chuckle out of all the Star Wars jokes! I must be in the right place...
    Pads work fine, just not as comfortable as an UQ - but far more comfortable than being on the ground. Just add some sort of "wings" to cover your arms and shoulders and you're set!
    Experience is the worst teacher - it presents the exam first and the lesson later. - Unknown

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Datahiker View Post
    After giving it some thought I've just ordered a GT UL, Coghlan's mosquito net and some 'biners (to replace the "S" hooks). Besides a tarp, what else will I need for my first attempt?
    My first hammock was a Hennessy, but after trying to get friends and family into hammocking, I started looking for an inexpensive set up. I finally settled on the GT UL too, and this is my go-to hammock for most of my lightweight backpacking trips. It's a great hammock. One thing to note is that the GT Ultralight is made from polyester. I like this because it stretches less than nylon-based hammocks. I think this is why I keep going back to the GT UL.

My set-up is pretty basic. This not only makes it lighter, but easier to set up. You can see a video of me setting up on this thread:

> http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=42392

BASIC SETUP
    * Hammock
    * Suspension Line
    * Tree Webbing
    * Necessary Hardware ('biners, toggles, hooks, etc.)
    * Rain Protection
    * Insulation
    * Bug Protection

Some folks get long webbing straps that double as tree webbing and suspension (this is what you'll see in my video). My typical set up uses shorter webbing and whoopie slings to span the distance from my hammock to the webbing/anchor point.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    My basic set up consist of

Hammock (WBBB or Traveler)
    Suspension (tree straps, woopies, dutch biners)
    Insulation (Hammock Gear)
    Rain Protection (Z-Packs)

In regards to hanging that is really all I need to sleep at night.

Dejoha just wrote an excellent book entitled the Ultimate Hang which goes over all the basics one needs to know to get started hanging. Have not read it yet but have heard excellent reviews. Its on my Hanukkah wish list. .

If your not looking at quilts then I would suggest some sort of ccf pad underneath you to keep you warm. IMHO their not as comfortable as quilts but certainly do work. You would be amazed how easily your back side gets cold in a hammock without any under insulation. Happy Hanging.
    LRR
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast