Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Just the summary. I am still debating on signing up with BPL.

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Just the summary. I am still debating on signing up with BPL.

I am with you on that. I have stopped a lot of my outdoor magazines so maybe this could take their place. Now which way should I go, online or mailed subscription??

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    I am with you on that. I have stopped a lot of my outdoor magazines so maybe this could take their place. Now which way should I go, online or mailed subscription??
    On Line...Well worth the cost IMHO...

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I'm just worried that I'm paying for information that can be obtained for free elsewhere on the internet. Is the info on the site worth the $25?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i don't know of any printed magazine that has that kind of information. BPL.com has a printed mag they offer, but at this point i couldn't recommend it.
    no doubt they are probably bias on some of the stuff they have made & sell, but even then they will usually tell you the pros & cons about their stuff.
    what i like is the way they test things in a very scientific way... like types of insulation (down, wool, synthetics) in different applications, stoves, footwear, etc.
    they will often give a report that is so detailed that i can't absorb it all<g>, i just skim off what i can... especially the final comparison/conclusion. point is, that they get really detailed in describing their studies, so if your looking for detailed explanation, not just what one person favors over another, BPL.com may be just the ticket for you.
    also they have an active forum where you can read/ discus all the other areas of backpacking besides hammocking.
    but they have several hammockers there too.
    and i have no affiliation w/ BPL.com. just sharing w/ you guys what i consider a great resource.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Definitely worth the money, IMO. They have technical tests on all kinds of things that you can't get anywhere else. You can get the discussions for free, and you can get all kinds of opinions anywhere you look on the internet, but I haven't seen BPL-style articles anywhere else on the internet.

Can you do w/o it? Sure. But if you're gonna spend $2/month on a few hours of information and entertainment, BPL is a good place to do it.

I'm gonna renew mine eventually...I'm just not spending that much time online right now.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Images
    I think it is worth the money and I am a cheap *******. Really I am. I don't even like to pay a $0.50 toll that will save me 10 minutes of driving. My wife hates it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    I think it is worth the money and I am a cheap *******. Really I am. I don't even like to pay a $0.50 toll that will save me 10 minutes of driving. My wife hates it.
    Me too, but I paid up a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely endless info. I am disappointed in one thing only. They make absolutely no judgments about how closely sleeping bag comes to its manufacturers temperature rating. And they give some very good and valid reasons for not doing so. However, even considering the great number of variables that would keep person A from being as warm in a given sleeping bag as person B might be, it would still be nice to have some kind of idea about the relative warmth of the various bags. For instance, there is a lengthy report on the Peapod (the 45&#176; model I believe it was) but nary a word about what all she had to add to it to be warm at 45&#176;. Although they do very precisely measure loft. That will probably be adequate information for ground sleeping bags, but not for Hammocking devices like the Peapod.

But there is enough information on every kind of ultralight gear and every kind of ultralight technique to occupy many, many hours of reading. Though more information for ground sleepers than for hammockers. It's really kind of unbelievable. For example, the article being referred to in this thread is very long. But it is chock full of dozens of tips for staying warm while hiking day after day in cold rain, while still using the ultralight approach. It will take awhile for you to just to read this one article.

anyone see where BPL is offering a Lifetime Membership for 110.00 for non-members and 100.00 for members.

That could be a good deal if you really use the site a lot.

I have picked up some good buys on the gear swap forum.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast