Sometimes making a new DIY piece of gear---and for that matter, making a video about it---is like raising a child. Takes a long time, a lot of devoted effort, doesn't come out quite the way you expect, but you love it anyway.
So here's my latest DIY gear and video child. A couple of years ago I made a summer-weight under-quilt where the layer closest to the hammock was made of cuben fiber. After starting the project I had the inspiration to make both layers of cuben, but by that time a bit too much jury-rigging would have been needed to try and pull it off. A couple of years of experience with this, and I've had no condensation issues that you might anticipate with something non-breathable so close to the body. I like very much the idea of keeping my down dry, so ever since I've had the notion to make an under-quilt from first principles that is nearly all cuben fiber, and minimizes sewing. Just for the challenge of it. Seeing various Karo step baffled quilts I thought I throw that into the mix as well. Again, for the challenge of it.
I did that this summer and shot some video of the steps along the way, but more shooting was necessary, and July is not an inspiring season to be showing off an under-quilt. Life got real busy, but I've found some time this last week to finish the filming, and make the video. Happy Thanksgiving!
Here's a teaser---watch to see how much of a hash I make of stuffing the down. I end up looking like the abominable snowman!