Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.

Arrow VIDEO & PHOTOS: Bruciehi5’s Fully-Sick Kayaking Safari

Hello Hammock Forum members, Bruciehi5 here,

It’s been one of thoughs mouths. I went for a paddle and got sick for the first time in 5 or 7 years – a nasty flu. I got back and my computer wouldn’t switch on – motherboard died. I backed my car into a pole at a shopping mall car park – not much damage, but enough. On the way back from the car repair place, I crashed my flat bar road bike (push bike) for the first time ever, – a bit busted up, but I’ll live.

Anyway...

The Upper Noosa River trip report (Bruciehi5’s Fully-Sick Kayaking Safari):

I’ve paddled this river about 3 times in a hired sea kayak and 3 times, including this time, in my own kayak. It’s not far from uncivilisation, but it always makes me feel like I’m the only one who has ever been there. It’s very untouched. No damage to the river banks, coursed by boats, and not a speck of rubbish in sight. As I like to say, veerrrry nice! The Upper Noosa River is famous of the high quality reflections that can be seen on the surface of the water. There are trees in this area that release something into the water which turns the water black. The black water increases the clarity of the reflections.

Generally speaking, this trip was a success. I wanted to film the mirror like reflections, being fully sick and all, I did that as best I could. I ended up just filming, because what I tried to say came out more jumbled up than it usually does. So, after camp site 15, I decided that trying to talk was a waste of video recording time and my energy. I edited out most of me looking and sounding sick, but left in about three fully-sick scenes just for fun. You can experience my trip in three ways.

Below is a short video, which is more like a preview, as it just skims though it. It covers the trip, but won’t allow you to experience the magic of the place. There is also a longer video that would be best viewed in HD and with a cup of your favorite something. It’s set at a much more relaxed pace and will “hopefully” give you a good feel for this extra special place! If you live too far way, and will never get to go paddle the Upper Noosa River, I hope, “Bruciehi5’s Fully-Sick Kayaking Safari” will show you enough of it to be the next best thing. If you are not into videos, I have added a few photos that you might like to take a quick look at. You are welcome to add a comment or ask me a question.

So... short video, long video, photos, comments.

Remember, the main focus of this trip is the high quality reflections on the water.

ABOVE IS THE SHORT VERSION. Available in HD

ABOVE IS THE LONG VERSION. Available in HD

A Word On the Title
    Fully-sick has two meanings; It means “really good” and it also means what it sounds like it means – really sick. I though it fitting for the trip report title, since my trip was both really good and I was really sick.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bruciehi5 Videos
    15 Trip Reports
    2 DIYs

Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    Well I enjoyed the short vid...your long one says "This video is private"...not sure what that means. But I was able to gather enough info from the short vid to say besides your sickness, seems like you had a good trip...

What was the purpose of taking a tent and a hammock? was there places that are not hammock friendly?

looks like your off to a good summer down there.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Quote Originally Posted by mugs View Post
    Well I enjoyed the short vid...your long one says "This video is private"...not sure what that means. But I was able to gather enough info from the short vid to say besides your sickness, seems like you had a good trip...

What was the purpose of taking a tent and a hammock? was there places that are not hammock friendly?

looks like your off to a good summer down there.

Hi there mugs,

This video is private means I didn’t change the video status to unlisted like I was supposed to do. You will be able to view it now that I have changed it. Thanks for letting me know, mugs! Now as for the tent That’s what I “used to” sleep in BEFORE I discovered the marvels of the model hammy. I’d rather sleep standing up than “try” to sleep in a tent ever again! That one in the video is full of mould, so trying to sleep in it would probable kill me, if it didn’t, the aching bones probably would the next day. Getting to the point, I use that tent to make it “look” like I am camping next to my car. A car parked in a camping area without a tent next to it could be seen to be a bit odd by other campers (attract attention and get my car towed away). Also, the car is less likely to be stolen if it looks like someone may be in a tent right next to it. So, in short, it’s “supposed to be” a smoke screen.

So far so good with the summer, not much rain and nice warm days.

Thanks for your comments, mugs!
    Bruciehi5 Videos
    15 Trip Reports
    2 DIYs

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Sorry to see you got nailed with the flu but looks like an excellent trip in spite of the illness. Thanks for sharing

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Always enjoy your trip reports Bruciehi5.
    Yeah, that is my ship alright, but how it got there I don’t know.
    Thanks for posting and hope you feel better by now.

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    very nice trip, too bad you were ill. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    That is some beautiful flat water. Like glass. Awesome solo paddle.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Thank you for sharing Bruciehi5. I always get excited when I see that you have posted a video because I enjoy them so much!

A lot of the terrain you were in reminds me of my native Florida here in the USA.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Those are some great shots! Sorry to hear about the month though.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Sorry to see you got nailed with the flu but looks like an excellent trip in spite of the illness. Thanks for sharing
    It nailed me pretty good! From camp 15 to Harry’s Hut, I stopped every chance I got and laid down on the ground and had a nap. It was a good trip. The video would have been a bit different if I was well. Having been there a few times, I had big plans for how I was going to make the video, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles.

Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    Always enjoy your trip reports Bruciehi5.
    Yeah, that is my ship alright, but how it got there I don’t know.
    Thanks for posting and hope you feel better by now.
    Ahoy there Blazeaway! Yes, I thought I’d add that little bit at the end. It was filmed just north of a place called Surfers Paradise. That trip was supposed to be an over night paddle to an island, but it ended up being all over after just 2 hours of paddling - bad weather conditions developed!

Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    very nice trip, too bad you were ill. Thanks for sharing.

The conditions couldn’t have been much better, but I could have been. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Triggerhpy View Post
    That is some beautiful flat water. Like glass. Awesome solo paddle.
    It’s pure joy, sick or not, to paddle my kayak on such glassy water.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Thank you for sharing Bruciehi5. I always get excited when I see that you have posted a video because I enjoy them so much!

A lot of the terrain you were in reminds me of my native Florida here in the USA.
    Hi there MAD777,

It’s good to get some regular comment poseterers too. You are one of about five Hammock Forum members who, or is that whom watch the videos I post and post a comment. As I’m finishing off and up loading, I wonder if you will watch and post. It’s nice to have a couple of regulars!

Quote Originally Posted by dragon360 View Post
    Those are some great shots! Sorry to hear about the month though.
    Two out of the ten photos are photos, the other 8 are snap shots taken from the videos. It seems to work ok – clear enough and all. Five more days and this month is over. Now it’s 4 days 23 hours and 56 seconds, not that I’m keeping track or anything. lol
    Bruciehi5 Videos
    15 Trip Reports
    2 DIYs

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast