Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

A few days late to this game

I got interested in hammock camping after reading about it in the book "Without a Paddle: Racing Twelve Hundred Miles Around Florida by Sea Kayak" last winter. The author slept in a hammock on the race. I was planning a multi-day canoe camping trip in early summer and imagined I'd like to try sleeping in a hammock by the river. It was the most enjoyable sleeping while camping I've done!

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    15 days in the Grand Canyon (2 trips), sleeping on the ground. Although a hammock wouldn't do much good in the Grand Canyon, it made me start looking for alternatives. Did I ever mention, "I hate tents".
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    Never gave hammocks a thought until a friend gave me his Clark NA about 7 years ago. I gave it a try and it just opened up a world of new places to camp. Very helpful when never sure where I'll end my day.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Shenandoah
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The same way I got interested in every other piece of gear: I saw someone using it. For hammocks, this was right before I laid down to sleep on a lumpy slope.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird
    Tarp
    7 x 9 equinox
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    wbb straps
    As kids we would hike up Belknap Mt in NH & spend the night in a hikers cabin. Lack of floor space forced me to seek an alternative. At the time I worked in a surplus store which carried canvas navy hammocks. That was in 1972. Been a believer ever since.

Hammock
    GT SBP
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.5'
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, cheap bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    For me it was Bushcraft USA and the hangers over there. I love being outside, camping out under the stars and such but HATE sleeping on the ground. I have been wanting to try this for many moons and finally got a GT SBP from Santa. Today I went to West Marine and picked up some Amsteel blue in 3/16 and made my first set of whoopie slings. I plan to modify the original suspension that has only been set up once for a brief moment on Christmas day after many hours assembling new lego stuff for my boys.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    How did I get interested in hammocks?

In a word: Paranoia.

Some of you may be familiar with the concept of a "Get Me Home Bag." Its a pack that you keep in your car that includes essentials and supplies sufficient to get one home from work in the event that a man made of natural disaster makes it impossible to drive. I work 42 miles from where I live do the requirements for preparing a GMHB includes overnight shelter. I was looking for something that would provide one good night's shelter that wouldn't look like expensive camping gear sitting in the back seat of the Durango. I found a Crazy Creek Crib and tarp for $30 on Ebay and went looking for what else I would need to make the damting work for at least one night.

In doing so, I found a place that has caused me to buy stuff that looks like expensive camping gear when its sitting in the back seat of the Durango. But that's because I can use it for camping. The Crazy Crib is in the GMHB.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Yes, this has been covered before, but its still fun to post, or even re-post the why & wherefore.
    For me:
    I had read the stuff on whiteblaze about hammocks, Kept picturing those net hammocks & how uncomfortable they were after a few hours. Still, I read on.
    Went on a much needed hiking trip close to home (Eastfork State park in SW Ohio) on a day with a light rain ALL day. Set up camp in the required campsite area (usual heavy use bare dirt, thankfully only wet dirt, not quite mud.). My tent is a one man tent, very low, so you MUST crawl in & out. Well about the 4th time I had to answer the call, I decided that sleeping on the ground SUCKED, but not nearly as much as having to crawl thru wet dirt, twice, every time I had to Pee! This trip was in fact a test to see if I was going to quit backpacking. I got home the next day & sent a PM to "Hammock Engineer" (Now Coffee) as he lived close to me, "Can you please meet me with your hammock & let me see it, maybe try it out?? He graciously brought it over to my house & let me lay in it. Within less than 5 minutes, I was hooked. Haven't looked back.
    In hind sight, I was "Done" with tenting years before, I have never set up a tent without having something (stick, rock root, etc) poking me all night. & like Shug, I always woke up with a "dead arm",,, Always! And seriously, has anyone ever found an actually level tent site out in the piney woods? I was so tired of waking up, off the pad, & feeling like I was: standing on my head, or skrunched at the foot of my tent, or rolling out the door or going thru the back wall.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    I hiking buddy of mine got me interested in hammocks the first time he showed me his Blackbird. It still took me about a year to really come around to it, but once I did I was hooked. I don't have a problem sleeping on the ground or in a shelter, I can sleep anywhere. I have just found that the hammock affords me a better nights sleep, a chair at camp, and many more available camping spots. Plus with my WB Superfly tarp I can set up many different sheltering options.

Hammocks rock

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    MLD UL Tarp
    Insulation
    20* Bag as pea pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I was tent camping at a race at Road Atlanta with some friends and because of having to find a suitable place to pitch the tent we were quite a ways away from where we wanted sit and watch the race. The best spot to watch the race is on the side of a steep hill so camp chairs suck and sitting on the ground sucks. Behind me at the top of the hill I saw two hammocks set up between the trees. The were sitting in the comfort of their hammock and I was sitting in the dirt. The next day a trip to REI solved my problems.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast