Blackbird
    Tarp
    Noah 9/Superfly
    Insulation
    Human
    Suspension
    D. Buckles/Whoopie

Bed vs. Hammock

So my teenage son convince me to let him hang in his room. Boy, am I jealous!
    Now he is trying to convince Momma that he doesn't need his bed in his room.
    Which prompted the dreaded questions:
    Is this safe?
    Won't hanging in that ..... (she actually swore) thing (she actually called it a thing!) hurt hs back?
    Isn't a bed better for a growing teenager?

I'm sure others have faced such difficult questions...how did you respond?
    Last edited by slowhike; 11-26-2011 at 21:56. Reason: edited for family friendly

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
    I'm sure others have faced such difficult questions...how did you respond?

Yes dear, yes dear, yes dear.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    Is this safe?
    If you anchor it properly, it is safe.

Won't hanging in that ..... (she actually swore) thing (she actually called it a thing!) hurt hs back?
    Depends. Many people find hammocks help their sore backs, and many people sleep in hammocks.

Isn't a bed better for a growing teenager?
    This question is leading, even more than the second question. What information do you have that a bed is better for a growing teenager? I don't have any information at all, but I can't imagine it would be detrimental.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    For my middle-aged back, the hammock has been a blessing. I no longer need to see a chiropractor and generally have no back discomfort. Also, there are people groups who sleep their whole lives in hammocks but I doubt a study has been done to see if their backs are in better shape.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Lots of people here (including myself) have found a hammock better for a bad back.
    I broke my back in 2002 & had two surgeries. Others here have had broken backs & worse back problems (disks, etc).
    I don't think it likely that it would cause back problems
    I've spent every night in a hammock for several years now.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Human beings have been sleeping soundly for hundreds of years in hammocks. When done correctly, hammocks are very safe and comfortable. Take a look at the folks in South America who sleep in hammocks since before the days of Columbus. It is still a very common method for sleeping down there. Sleeping on the diagonal is the way to go for maximum comfort and a ergonomically flat lay.

I've got hammocks in my kids' rooms and they sleep in them regularly. I wish I had a hammock growing up

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Tell ya what, next time I move it's going to be a lot easier moving my bed room then everyone elses. Even single beds are a pained compared to my hammock. I'll not go back to a bed.

Really, your wife is just suffering from a difference in culture. Our society grew up sleeping on the ground in some sort of makeship bed. That a more 'primitive' civilization would actually come up with a better idea goes against several thousand year of 'Thats how we do it'. But I'm here to tell ya, we've been doing it wrong. My no longer aching back says so. Can you imagine the brilliance that thought up a Murphy Bed? The mechanical Engineering it took alone to take a small room and have a bed show up in the middle of it. How simple it truly is to just unclip one end of the hammock and walk it across the room and lay down. Reverse the process in the morning and it's stored.

I moved my snoring rear end out of the master bedroom so my wife could get a good nights sleep for a change. I could very easily have a regular bed in here, money is not an issue. I did have an inflatable bed in here for a bit. It was every bit as comfortable as the select comfort I left, the best bed I ever had. Other then floating on air though I do not know how I could get any more comfortable than in a hammock. The single layer of 1.5 ripstop I use leave no pressure points and smoothly moves under me whenever I stretch or move. It doesn't get hot. It breaths. It's like laying on a waterbed that swings.

My question isn't why am I sleeping on a hammock it's why is my wife still sleeping in a bed?

Either anchor the hammock ends securely in the wall or make him a hammock stand, preferably one that can be stowed so he can have all that floor space open. And enjoy the fact that he's evolved past most people.

You might remind your wife that her 10 year old bed is 30% heavier then the day it was new. And that ain't good wishes and pleasant dreams that are weighing it down. It's dead skin, sweat, dust mites, dirt, spoors, virus's and bacteria. Your son can pull the suspension off his hammock and toss it in the washer. Lets see her do that with her safe but infested bed.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MrClean417 View Post
    Tell ya what, next time I move it's going to be a lot easier moving my bed room then everyone elses. Even single beds are a pained compared to my hammock. I'll not go back to a bed.

Really, your wife is just suffering from a difference in culture. Our society grew up sleeping on the ground in some sort of makeship bed. That a more 'primitive' civilization would actually come up with a better idea goes against several thousand year of 'Thats how we do it'. But I'm here to tell ya, we've been doing it wrong. My no longer aching back says so. Can you imagine the brilliance that thought up a Murphy Bed? The mechanical Engineering it took alone to take a small room and have a bed show up in the middle of it. How simple it truly is to just unclip one end of the hammock and walk it across the room and lay down. Reverse the process in the morning and it's stored.

I moved my snoring rear end out of the master bedroom so my wife could get a good nights sleep for a change. I could very easily have a regular bed in here, money is not an issue. I did have an inflatable bed in here for a bit. It was every bit as comfortable as the select comfort I left, the best bed I ever had. Other then floating on air though I do not know how I could get any more comfortable than in a hammock. The single layer of 1.5 ripstop I use leave no pressure points and smoothly moves under me whenever I stretch or move. It doesn't get hot. It breaths. It's like laying on a waterbed that swings.

My question isn't why am I sleeping on a hammock it's why is my wife still sleeping in a bed?

Either anchor the hammock ends securely in the wall or make him a hammock stand, preferably one that can be stowed so he can have all that floor space open. And enjoy the fact that he's evolved past most people.

You might remind your wife that her 10 year old bed is 30% heavier then the day it was new. And that ain't good wishes and pleasant dreams that are weighing it down. It's dead skin, sweat, dust mites, dirt, spoors, virus's and bacteria. Your son can pull the suspension off his hammock and toss it in the washer. Lets see her do that with her safe but infested bed.
    Amen to all of this.

Hammock
    WBBB & Traveler,ENO
    Insulation
    HG.com
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I have problems falling asleep. Which results in problems waking up. (last1up ?) But I started sleeping in my hammock about 3 months ago. I now fall asleep faster, wake up easier, and feel more rested. I have not removed my bed, and still try to sleep in it. But, if I'm still awake after 45 minutes. I head for my hammock. And at 47 my back & hips feel better too.

Hammock
    doublenest eno
    Tarp
    old fly
    Insulation
    1" foam/sp.blanket
    Suspension
    1/2" diy straps
    ew. i think i have cooties now. i'm building a hammock stand.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast