Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is the Dj really worth paying the extra 100$

Hi, first I'd like to say this site is great because I learned a lot about hammock camping. I first tried it last year out of an idea that had pop in my head. I don't like sleeping in tent because I find it uncomfortable and I feel claustrophobic in those things. First experience was awesome in a way. Slept confy like a king and didn't felt the claustrophobia. But in a other way, without the knowledge that you can get here, I was near and hypotermique stage at some point in the night. Shivering inside my sleeping bag. So its good to find out there's ways to stay warm in a hammock.
    Anyway after a lot of research and thoughts, Ive decide to go with the hh but can't decide between the dj xl or the explorer ultra lite with zip. Is it really worth paying the extra 100$? Here the main concern is the cold but I intend to get the hhss wathever wich one I decide to choose between. In the same time, over here, around june and july the bug is so present that at dawn and dusk time you can't even stay outside so much there are. Is the explorer will protect me from the bugs? If yes why pay for the extra 100? Except for the double layer that you can put pad inside if the hhss won't do. I know there's some topic on the dj and most people prefer it to the other hh so Ill appreciate some opinions because I can't decide between the two. thanks

It may be safe to say which hammock is better boils down to your hiking prefereces. The Deep Jungle's double bottom allows for insulation between the layers. It is VERY convenient and more comfortable for some people than sleeping directly on a pad such as one made from Reflectix. The second layer of fabric does add weight. Many who backpacking with a hammock are going for the lightest solution thay can achieve. Some will even go with a slightly small hammock to save weight and bulk. Those who hike small mileage days may be willing to accept the extra weight for extra comfort.

You may want to check to see if Tom has made modifications to the Supershelter yet for a side-zip version. He has mentioned working on one. The original Supershelter was designed specifically for the bottom-entry, but I've been told that they can work with the side-zips. Some of the newer Backpacker Asym side-zips have the rings sewn in to accommodate the Reflectix pads' attachment lines. If the Explorers haven't been fitted with them, they are not hard to add. I sewed some inside a Hyperlight.

Agian, as with other concerns, what works best for you comes under HYOH.

Good Luck!
    Rosaleen

Hennessy Hammock afficionado and supporter.

Images
    IF I could only have one hammock and lived in a cold and buggy buggy area - YES.

The XL is a big hammock (comfy), the fabric is silky smooth, the double layers give you the option to use multiple pads (the radiant double pad and a minicell version) and does a great job against mosquitos without pads. I've used mine with the SuperShelter (little condensation at 22F, no deal breaker) and the overcover or a Phoenix underquilt with a 2QZX UQP. I plan to use a combination of all systems for extremelly cold weather.

Double layer hammocks give you much more flexibility with temperature extremes. But the Explorer works great as well, I have the Ultralite version tool.

Au revoir.

Hammock
    None
    Tarp
    None
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    None
    Images
    I actually just used the SS this weekend with my expedition zip. it can be done you just have to lift the over cover up and kind of squeeze in. It's not that bad.

I think I will go with the dj but it come up to a lot of money when you add the ex fly and the hhsupershelter. Does the bugs bite trought the fabric of yours hammock even thought its a single layer? Cause in the henessy site they say the explorer does the job too.

Images
    I've never had trouble with bugs in a single layer but I don't hang in QC. What do the locals have to say?

I don't know and NEVER seen nobody that camp with a hammock. After my first experience I talk about it to other outdoors enthousiastic and they got very sceptical to the idea. Wheter its backpacker hicker, cayacker or hunter.
    For the bugs I don't think its as worst as some part of the USA where there is swamps and all. I think its the same environement as vermont(but cant tell for sure because I never been). Its not that bad but there is a short time period in the year where they can drive me nuts. And without a proper shelter or bugnet you can end up full of bytes.
    Isnt the dj xl is the same size as the explorer ultra lite? And the color kind a look different to no? Or is it just the picture?
    I don't know maybe ill just pass on the ss for now and bring on a bulky pad. I could always get the ss another time but can't get the double layer another time.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Listen to Rosaleen - she knows heaps about Hennessy Hammocks. My nephew got claustrophobic in a bottom-entry hammock.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I would (and have) paid the extra $100 for the DJ for the fabric alone. I love the fabric they use for the Deep Jungles. Same stuff they use for the Hyperlites, but since it's a double layer, it holds my fat butt nicely.

The side entry was a bonus, but HH is offering that with most, if not all, of their hammocks now. I've used my SS pad with the DJ, but didn't notice any problems. Other than the additional weight, I think the DJ is a great hammock. Easily my favorite of the HH line.
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosaleen View Post

You may want to check to see if Tom has made modifications to the Supershelter yet for a side-zip version. He has mentioned working on one. The original Supershelter was designed specifically for the bottom-entry, but I've been told that they can work with the side-zips. Some of the newer Backpacker Asym side-zips have the rings sewn in to accommodate the Reflectix pads' attachment lines. If the Explorers haven't been fitted with them, they are not hard to add. I sewed some inside a Hyperlight.

Agian, as with other concerns, what works best for you comes under HYOH.

Good Luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericasHammock View Post
    I actually just used the SS this weekend with my expedition zip. it can be done you just have to lift the over cover up and kind of squeeze in. It's not that bad.
    I used my HHSS #2 on a DJXL(also on a WBBB) with no problem that I could tell. I have also used the over cover part on that hammock with no issues, although you will need to use some common sense/caution getting in and out side entry. I can see that if I got too careless I could damage something. If I really thought that would be a problem, a very simple mod would take care of it. Of course, the SS is set up for bottom entry, but that does not cause a problem with side entry, just ignore it.

Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-29-2011 at 14:29.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast