Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    SuperShelter/Quilt

First Hike and Hang this weekend

I'll be doing my first hike and hang this weekend at Fundy National park...2 nights. Night temps figure to be around 40 to 50 degrees F. My hiking buddy will be using a tent but I think I'll have him converted by the next trip. They're calling for plenty of rain but hopefully it won't be that bad. I'll try to write a trip report...never done one before. I just hope I've brought enough for warmtn...Dang extra quilts take alot of room in the backpack.

My hiking buddy is one heck of an artist...great at photography and with paint..Hopefully I'll be able to upload some cool shots...
    MY TOP 3
    3. My Candle Lantern
    2. My Pocket Rocket Stove
    1. My HH Ultralite with SS

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    looking forward to your report & pictures.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaEast View Post
    I'll be doing my first hike and hang this weekend at Fundy National park...2 nights. Night temps figure to be around 40 to 50 degrees F. My hiking buddy will be using a tent but I think I'll have him converted by the next trip. They're calling for plenty of rain but hopefully it won't be that bad. I'll try to write a trip report...never done one before. I just hope I've brought enough for warmtn...Dang extra quilts take alot of room in the backpack.

My hiking buddy is one heck of an artist...great at photography and with paint..Hopefully I'll be able to upload some cool shots...
    Looking forward to hearing about it and seeing the pictures!

BTW, I ended up buying a small candle lantern (tea-light version) after I learned about them from your sig... haven't had a chance to use it yet though.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Will be waiting for the TR. I used to work out of Nova Scotia but never had the chance to hike there.

I've used the tealight candle lanterns for years and like 'em a lot. I often leave one glowing on dark nights when we don't have a fire to add "atmosphere". When you eyes adjust, they are pretty bright.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Will be waiting for the TR. I used to work out of Nova Scotia but never had the chance to hike there.

I've used the tealight candle lanterns for years and like 'em a lot. I often leave one glowing on dark nights when we don't have a fire to add "atmosphere". When you eyes adjust, they are pretty bright.
    I do the same with my tealight. It gives me a warm and safer feeling when I am out there in the woods alone....
    Hope your trip is nice.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    SuperShelter/Quilt

First Hike and Hang.....it started out well....

Well it did start out well...Moe and I left Friday morning and the park is about 1 hrs drive away taking our time for taking some different pictures of various areas along the way... we get to the park as there's no-one camping except for some RV's near the entrance so we get a nice site farther in with a nice view and some privacy. The plan was that we'd car camp the 1st night and head out the next morning for a short 3-4 mile wilderness hike to a location that is simply perfect (we'd stayed there the previous year...first hike of the season we usually don't go too far).

We setup our gear...my hammock and his tent. Since they were calling for rain and I only had my stock HH...I had brought my rain fly from my Eureka Timberline 2 to see if to would work. Happily it proved to cover quite well and since there are 4 tie downs on either side you can really batten down for bad weather. I'll add longer shock cords for the next time I go out to allow more versatility. Since Friday night was calling for clear weather though I removed it and simply used the stock tarp.

After setup we took a slack pack hike to a nice river surrounded by small mountains....the water was clear (and cold according to Moe, as we were about to head back he slipped and fell butt first into the river...we both had a good laugh...well I did anyway) and the weather was sunny...a really awesome way to start the weekend...added to the fact that we had brought a couple of beers. I was nice to be back in the woods.

We hiked back and had a simple supper....since the temps dropped quickly after the sun went down, we decided to turn in for the night. I was a bit concerned about being cold that night as instead of using my usual sleeping bags, I'd brought some regular run-of-the-mill blankets. My fears were misplaced however as I was quite warm.

Here's where things went bad. I sleep with earplugs as I'm a light sleeper. after about an hour in the hammock, drifting in and out of sleep, I removed them and heard Moe moving around camp. I asked if everything was ok and he replied a bit suprised: "you didn't hear what happened?" No..what?

Apparently he heard voices and branches breaking...so he got out of his tent and surprised about 10 local youths creeping towards our campsite (there's a small town about half a mile away from where we were camping). They quickly backed away but then started screaming obsenities at him. Once he told me this I couldn't fall asleep right away so I went out to calm my nerves. About 20 minutes later a truck pulled up at the end of our site and stopped (remember we were the only ones camping that night). After about a minute checking our site out they noticed me in the darkness and drove away.

At this point neither one of us wanted to take a chance sleeping with the potential of local idiots sabotaging our gear or worse. I asked him what he thought we should do. Since there was no predicting what was going to happen next we opted on packing up and going back home. I agreed with him. He's got 2 little kids at home and there was no sense taking unnecessary risks.

Sorry folks...I was hoping for a better outcome...and a more pleasant read for you all
    MY TOP 3
    3. My Candle Lantern

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Sorry to hear about that but I think you did the right thing. No sense in takeing a chance.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    HH Ultralite
    Tarp
    Still looking
    Insulation
    SuperShelter/Quilt
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Looking forward to hearing about it and seeing the pictures!

BTW, I ended up buying a small candle lantern (tea-light version) after I learned about them from your sig... haven't had a chance to use it yet though.
    I does give pleasant lighting...I use the UCO Candle lantern system...the one I use has 3 candles in it...each burns for about 8 hrs and is spring loaded. Additionally to providing heat and light...you can put a cup of coffee on it to keep it nice and hot on chilly mornings...It's really a luxury item for me. It's around 1 lb.
    MY TOP 3
    3. My Candle Lantern

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaEast View Post
    Well it did start out well..................

Here's where things went bad. I sleep with earplugs as I'm a light sleeper. after about an hour in the hammock, drifting in and out of sleep, I removed them and heard Moe moving around camp. I asked if everything was ok and he replied a bit suprised: "you didn't hear what happened?" No..what?

Apparently he heard voices and branches breaking...so he got out of his tent and surprised about 10 local youths creeping towards our campsite (there's a small town about half a mile away from where we were camping). They quickly backed away but then started screaming obsenities at him. Once he told me this I couldn't fall asleep right away so I went out to calm my nerves. About 20 minutes later a truck pulled up at the end of our site and stopped (remember we were the only ones camping that night). After about a minute checking our site out they noticed me in the darkness and drove away.

At this point neither one of us wanted to take a chance sleeping with the potential of local idiots sabotaging our gear or worse. I asked him what he thought we should do. Since there was no predicting what was going to happen next we opted on packing up and going back home. I agreed with him. He's got 2 little kids at home and there was no sense taking unnecessary risks.

Sorry folks...I was hoping for a better outcome...and a more pleasant read for you all
    Unbelievable. So, it appears that we don't have the market cornered on dumb rednecks ( or worse ) down here in MS. Apparently, they are every where.

I tried out my hammock at Bear Falls Wilderness, it's kinda close to Keji. Really cheap, the owner loved that we were doing the hammock thing. No one to mess with you at all. Except his dogs. Awesome dogs, very friendly.
    Just my note on camping in NS.

• + New Posts