Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Merritt Island, Fla.
    Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Posts
    956
    Images
    74

    Optimum Distance; Suggestions Please

    I'm looking for suggestions as to the distance between two posts for hanging a hammock. I am going to set two 6x6 posts for the purpose of testing out gear. I'm thinking somewhere around 12-14 feet. Wanted to see if anybody has set up something similar and if so, what distances you used.
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

  2. #2
    Senior Member BlueSkies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Hammock
    PapaSmurf Dangerbird
    Tarp
    MacCat DLX
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Posts
    123
    Images
    1
    My posts are at 15'. 6x6x10' sunk 3' deep in concrete. I had the room, and it makes it a little easier to get the tarp up. Granted in doing that you have to go a little higher up the posts to get your hang angle. There are lost of discussions on the topic already, with lots of things to learn and consider.

    This should yield search results, but if not search "permanent stand".

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...archid=5856050
    Last edited by BlueSkies; 11-27-2011 at 17:28. Reason: i suck at spelling
    I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. -HDT
    web. toomanyshinythings.com | twitter. @dartanyon | facebook. facebook.com/dartanyon

  3. #3
    Senior Member Trooper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lake St. Clair
    Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Posts
    820
    Images
    9
    I'd do 15' as a minimum, and 20' as the maximum. While 15' is perfect, Warbonnet Blackbirds and large tarps can fill that space quickly. Maybe, try posts mounted 15' apart, but angled 15-20 away from each other. This will accentuate the distance, allowing more variables in the same amount of space.

  4. #4
    bindibadgi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Posts
    293
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    I'd do 15' as a minimum, and 20' as the maximum. While 15' is perfect, Warbonnet Blackbirds and large tarps can fill that space quickly. Maybe, try posts mounted 15' apart, but angled 15-20 away from each other. This will accentuate the distance, allowing more variables in the same amount of space.
    And it will look more artistic. It depends on the room you've got of course, but I'd definitely consider going a little wider than 15'. I've got two posts in the backyard which are 18' apart, and I don't find it too difficult to reach up and put the tree huggers around at the correct height. My tarp is just over 12' end to end, and I wouldn't have a hard time imagining a wider one. Also, don't forget if you test out whoopies etc, you need some leeway at the ends, so add a foot or so each side. You'll quickly use up 15' IMHO.

  5. #5
    Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Merritt Island, Fla.
    Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Posts
    956
    Images
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkies View Post
    My posts are at 15'. 6x6x10' sunk 3' deep in concrete. I had the room, and it makes it a little easier to get the tarp up. Granted in doing that you have to go a little higher up the posts to get your hang angle. There are lost of discussions on the topic already, with lots of things to learn and consider.

    This should yield search results, but if not search "permanent stand".

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...archid=5856050
    I looked but didn't use the words "permanent stand" .. Thanks for help..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

  6. #6
    Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Merritt Island, Fla.
    Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Posts
    956
    Images
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    I'd do 15' as a minimum, and 20' as the maximum. While 15' is perfect, Warbonnet Blackbirds and large tarps can fill that space quickly. Maybe, try posts mounted 15' apart, but angled 15-20 away from each other. This will accentuate the distance, allowing more variables in the same amount of space.
    I really like this idea ... My longest tarp is 11' and I don't see myself making one any longer then that .. Again ..I really like the idea of setting my posts at an angle .. this is why i asked here, instead of just sticking two posts into the ground ... just another reason I love this forum ...
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

  7. #7
    Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Merritt Island, Fla.
    Hammock
    One of Eight
    Tarp
    Cuban Baby !!
    Insulation
    I'm Down
    Suspension
    MYOG, whoopies
    Posts
    956
    Images
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by bindibadgi View Post
    And it will look more artistic. It depends on the room you've got of course, but I'd definitely consider going a little wider than 15'. I've got two posts in the backyard which are 18' apart, and I don't find it too difficult to reach up and put the tree huggers around at the correct height. My tarp is just over 12' end to end, and I wouldn't have a hard time imagining a wider one. Also, don't forget if you test out whoopies etc, you need some leeway at the ends, so add a foot or so each side. You'll quickly use up 15' IMHO.
    I have plenty of room...I think I'll set them 16.5' to 17' and set them at an angle ..
    "The wise man questions others wisdom because he questions his own, the foolish man because it is different from his own." Leo Stein

  8. #8
    bindibadgi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Posts
    293
    Images
    6
    Sounds good. We want to see pictures when you're done!

  9. #9
    Senior Member WV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    southeast WV
    Hammock
    DIY
    Posts
    4,073
    Images
    207
    When you go over 15' the forces on the posts get big. Set them securely as deep as you can. Looking forward to your report.

  10. #10
    bindibadgi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dbl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    Posts
    293
    Images
    6
    That's a point. The further out they are, the higher up you need to attach in order to set the angle correctly. That will mean there is a much larger force on the post. Nice and big posts set securely and deeply into the ground should be fine, but don't skimp!

Similar Threads

  1. not so optimum hang
    By lostagain in forum General Hammock Talk
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-23-2013, 17:34
  2. Suggestions for a long(ish) distance hike with hammock?
    By hutzelbein in forum Long distance travel with a hammock
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-18-2012, 05:40
  3. Optimum baffle width?
    By jbo_c in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-21-2010, 21:19
  4. optimum tensioner length??
    By WarmSoda in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-14-2010, 14:02
  5. Optimum MacCat Size for HH?
    By Javaman in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-21-2009, 20:17

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •