Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Splicing line

Images

Splicing line

In the store the other day, the man let me look at a couple of ropes that had been spliced to form a loop on the end. Can anyone speak to the virtues/drawbacks to using splicing to create the loops we need in support ropes for hammocking.

As a note, when I bought my line he told me he had not had any luck splicing that particular rope. The examples he had spliced were signifacantly larger in diameter than the line I was buying. So, that would be a drawback because you would need heavier rope than most of us are using.

Thoughts?

Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Images
    I have spliced the yellow braided poly rope with good results. It makes for a clean neat loop, and the end of the rope (which is usually melted to keep it from unraveling, and can have sharp edges) is hidden.

The braided spectra cords are slippery and I have yet to try and splice them.

I wouldn't know how to splice the lines which are made with parallel core construction (parallel core strands covered with a braided sheath).

Images
    Would splicing mean the rope wouldn't be damaged and weakened by the knot, thus increasing longevity and lowering the risk of breakage?

To me, the durability may justify the weight penalty of larger diameter cord. Plus, it is super-cool!

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    I used to splice rope in my sailing days. A splice weakens the rope much less than a knot. Think about it - a knot often bends the rope fibers significantly but a splice normally does not bend the fibers at all. With the new rope fibers this is not nearly the problem it used to be. Splices do not snag like knots can.

Splices can be made very precisely. A splice can hug an eye for an anchor line (a tear shaped metal piece for the rope to go around and the shackle to hold onto) so tightly the rope cannot be removed.

A splice does not "tighten" after the initial load tightens it slightly. Knots sometimes tighten and loosen.

A good splice rarely fails. The line usually fails first. Splices very rarely come loose like a knot slipping loose.

Splices are often more pleasing aesthetically.

All that said, knots are easier to undo (often it is easier to just cut a splice out), knots are way quicker, knots are much easier to adjust. And with the small multibraid, often slippery lines we often use hammocking, splicing can be impossible. Splicing is easiest with "laid" or twisted rope or with braid that has a limited number of strands and no core.

They each have their place. I really enjoyed splicing when it was part of an activity that benefitted from it. I see a lot less use for it in hammocking. But I'm sure someone will come up with a good reason to try it on something!
    Last edited by JayS; 05-09-2008 at 10:57. Reason: another reason to use a splice

Images
    If I ever decide to switch to higher diameter line for some reason, I will try splicing one end to hang the hammock from with a larkshead. Thanks for the info, I wish we could use splicing to our advantage more but it doesn't look like it is applicable in very many places...

When possible stick to hollow line, 'finger trap' the end, and use fids. You can buy nice delrin fids at paragear for 10 bucks.
    Last edited by daibutsu; 05-10-2008 at 08:27.

sooo....how do you splice a rope!?!
    This is the day that the Lord has made-let us rejoice and be glad in it! Psalm 118:24

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by heescha View Post
    sooo....how do you splice a rope!?!

Considering there are different splices for different lines, you'd have the best luck Googling for it instead of having members here try to explain. Basically you integrate the end of the rope into part of the middle of the rope.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Splicing is as much art as science. I have never had any luck attempting it. You also usually need some good quality tools, like splicing awls and such. A nice splice of any style has a beauty to it that is hard to describe.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

i know what it is, just not how to do it!
    This is the day that the Lord has made-let us rejoice and be glad in it! Psalm 118:24

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast