Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Slap Straps

UQ shell and liner materials ?

HI all,
    New to the forum. Found the site while trying to devise ways to stay warm this winter while trying hammock camping for the first time during the winter months. Not new to hammocking, just haven't tried it during cold weather. It is nice to see that there are a bunch of us crazies out in the world. I tell folks that I like to camp when temps usually hit sub freezing in Dec. and Jan. and they give a look like.....

I digress. Now to my questions. Like I said before, I would like to use my ENO Double nest this season and want to make a Down UQ. I use Woodland camo for most of my gear i.e.Bugnet, Tarp, Paracord, blah blah blah! My questions are, I found this camo, untreated ripstop fabric which states that it is 1.3oz per square yard. Does this mean that it is 1.3 ripstop? I assume this is where they get the # from, but as they say about assuming. And, is this the correct type of material? http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Ki...abric-Woodland

Since it is untreated, this would go against the hammock as the liner?

Next question. Weight not being an issue since I don't really do any hiking in to where I camp. Is it a good idea to use a heavier fabric for the shell? I want to use a 50/50 Nylon/Cotton 7.0oz per sq.yd. material for added wind/elements resistance. Not having done this before, do you see any reasons not to use the heavier fabric?(Besides weight which I am not concerned with) It's not waterproof and is breathable. Basically the material used for BDUs.

Thank you in advance for your opinions and info.
    Last edited by Truth Hurts; 11-28-2011 at 14:06.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth Hurts View Post
    HI all,
    New to the forum.<snip>

I digress. Now to my questions. Like I said before, I would like to use my ENO Double nest this season and want to make a Down UQ. I use Woodland camo for most of my gear i.e.Bugnet, Tarp, Paracord, blah blah blah! My questions are, I found this camo, untreated ripstop fabric which states that it is 1.3oz per square yard. Does this mean that it is 1.3 ripstop? I assume this is where they get the # from, but as they say about assuming. And, is this the correct type of material? http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Ki...abric-Woodland

Since it is untreated, this would go against the hammock as the liner?

Next question. Weight not being an issue since I don't really do any hiking in to where I camp. Is it a good idea to use a heavier fabric for the shell? I want to use a 50/50 Nylon/Cotton 7.0oz per sq.yd. material for added wind/elements resistance. Not having done this before, do you see any reasons not to use the heavier fabric?(Besides weight which I am not convcerned with) It's not waterproof and is breathable.
    Basically the material used for BDUs.

Thank you in advance for your opinions and info
    Hi TH- welcome! Nice list of questions.

Scott at BackwoodsDaydreamer has some great material you may also consider: 1.1oz ripstop nylon fabric, comes in camo Check out his site, he's got some great DIY guides too.

Yes, the "1.3" indicates the weight per square yard of fabric, in ounces.

The use of treated vs untreated, and where to put it..... well, there's a lot of opinions and "it depends" answers, depending on your precise usage scenario & goals.

The BDU material COULD work as an outer shell, but for the most part, your tarp blocks rain and snow from your gear. Most people avoid the use of cotton & natural fibers (arguing it holds water, gets wet, too heavy, can rot, etc...) Nylon and other synthetics can be pretty wind resistant too.

Have fun, and do scan the archives here. Many ideas have been tried, improved upon, and there's a great deal of experience captured. But, remember that you need to "Hang Your Own Hammock" HYOH, and do what works for you.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of having a heavier fabric for the shell. What would I be looking for in a treated fabric? Such as, treated with what?

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight, modified
    Tarp
    HMG Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Zpacks down 40 deg
    Suspension
    Dynaglide UCR
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=42469

just completed this using the 1.1 camo from Backwoodsdaydreamer

R

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    Thanks for the reply. I like the idea of having a heavier fabric for the shell. What would I be looking for in a treated fabric? Such as, treated with what?
    "Treated", in my dictionary, means "waterproofed". Usually that means polyurethane (think of an average tent fly) or silicone-treated nylon (silnylon, or just "sil".) Depending on the usage, waterproof fabrics may end up trapping moisture in the insulation inside. If you're using down, well, that's not good. Used against the body, they may make the hanger clammy by keeping insensible perspiration against you. The threads here covering vapor barriers goes into a lot of detail.

One other thing about treated fabrics I just remembered: it can make a quilt hard to fold or stuff unless you've got places where the air inside the quilt can escape.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Ok, so treated is not a good idea. Not what I am looking for. Maybe I will just use the 1.9 nylon and see what happens. Was looking for added wind protection. Maybe I am not thinking properly. I know that there is a tarp and what-not, but I was trying to help protect all the warmth that I could from being carried away by wind.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Ok, so treated is not a good idea. Not what I am looking for. Maybe I will just use the 1.9 nylon and see what happens. Was looking for added wind protection. Maybe I am not thinking properly. I know that there is a tarp and what-not, but I was trying to help protect all the warmth that I could from being carried away by wind.
    What some people do is use a breathable fabric like 1.9 and then use an underquilt protector. Follow this link and it's the last item on the page: http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/ham...cessories.html
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    The camo ripstop previously linked to (http://www.diygearsupply.com/cgi-bin/shelf.cgi?numb=17) is not downproof. You definitely want to use a downproof material and there are a couple listed in the same link.

The downproof ripstops are fairly wind resistant but still breath. As previously stated, use an underquilt protector to add additional wind and water resistance.

• + New Posts