Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    well folks got some pics thismorning of where its at at the moment, (didnt hang last night..we shall try again tonight), feel free to criticise and let me know your thoughts, im still a noob and enjoy the advice, thanks

Pic 1 The Clark and Vertex Rain fly hanging under the carport empty

Pic 2 The new 7mm rope suspension, attached to Clark Tree Huggers and using the drip rings as quick easy adjustment

Pic 3 The 5mm rope continuous ridgeline with clips and light attached (the wind blew the fly up off the ridgeline as i took the pic)

Pic 4 Vertex rain fly attached with a 2mm rope Prusik knot to adjust

Pic 5 Head end 2mm internal rope attached to factory sewn in tye, this is for my floating light

Pic 6 Foot end small clip quick attach/release attached to factory sewn in tye for floating light

Pic 7 Me hangin in the hammock
    Last edited by Camper1; 12-01-2011 at 18:51. Reason: added more text
    Clark NX-250, Warbonnet Superfly, Custom made Down, Underground Underquilt. DIY Suspension & Continuous Ridgeline.

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    WL TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That looks really good.

-Nate

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Lookin' good Camper!. Do as DemostiX suggested and don't hang it so tight and you will probably find it more comfortable. The bug net should be kind of droopy when hung and unloaded. It will tighten up when loaded. Enjoy!

Hammock
    Clark NX 250
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Yep I agree, looks to tight. Took me a while to find the right tension too.
    yakass.net

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    thanks guys, shall loosen her off and see, cheers Doz
    Clark NX-250, Warbonnet Superfly, Custom made Down, Underground Underquilt. DIY Suspension & Continuous Ridgeline.

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Replacement cordage?

I forgot to ask: Is teh replacement cordage low-stretch polyester (such as yachting cordage) or is it nylon climbing cordage? If it is the latter, you may have trouble obtaining the correct sag without having the suspension lines stretch unacceptably. Just a thought.

Jim

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    I forgot to ask: Is teh replacement cordage low-stretch polyester (such as yachting cordage) or is it nylon climbing cordage? If it is the latter, you may have trouble obtaining the correct sag without having the suspension lines stretch unacceptably. Just a thought.

Jim
    not quite sure Jim, it didnt have anything written on the label and i bought it from the camping store in 3 different widths 2mm, 5mm and 7mm. Its all they offered apart from a thicker type of rope. It didnt have a rating either, but i figured that it would have a small amount of elongation in it and so have weighted down all ropes and left them for hours as well as laid in the hammock to pull the stretch out. It did sag significantly under weight and so i just kept pulling it tight and reweighting it, so no probs.

I would have used the 5mm for suspension but decided to overkill and go the 7mm, the 5mm im using for the ridgeline, which is working well to hold my pack and hydration and bow and few other things, still working on the setup though. My only other thoughts have been the amount of water the rope will absorb, the Clark rope wouldnt hold any but it also has a nasty memory and leaves ugly bends and twists where youve tied the rope.

Hammock
    DD Travel Hammock
    Tarp
    DD Tarp
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post

I would have used the 5mm for suspension but decided to overkill and go the 7mm, the 5mm im using for the ridgeline, .
    If you ever go to whoopies you'll be amazed at how thin it is.. My first thoughts were "Jeez is that really going to take my weight?".. But after 6 months and 40 or more nights out, it's held up fine.
    Its only 2.5mm but rated at 750kg...

cheers
    Gareth

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Quote Originally Posted by garethw View Post
    If you ever go to whoopies you'll be amazed at how thin it is.. My first thoughts were "Jeez is that really going to take my weight?".. But after 6 months and 40 or more nights out, it's held up fine.
    Its only 2.5mm but rated at 750kg...

cheers
    Gareth
    Yer ive noticed that Gareth, whoopies isnt off my list as of yet, it may be a purchase i make in the future, for now im enjoying the learning curve and making setup and packup as fast, light and convenient as possible.

I weighed in today on the whole kit which fit nicely into the built in compression sack, here's the figures:

1 x nx-250
    2 x clark tree straps
    2 x new rope suspension
    2 x drip rings
    1 x vertex rain fly
    10mtrs of 5mm rope (ridgeline unfinished)
    4 x carabina clips
    1 x dupont extreme sleeping bag

total weight came to 3.22kg

for some that aint light, but from where ive come from and what else i carry out its very light.

Im still to test my needs for hammock insulation as of yet and I am still working on reducing weight so we shall see how it goes, anyways im off to hang out in the clark for my first full night cheers Doz

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Just woke up after putting in my first full night in a hammock (12am-7:15pm).

The mercury in my town of Melbourne Victoria Australia was between 12 deg C and 10 deg C all night with humidity generally between 61-76% and only hit as low as 42% for one hour, winds were between 16-27kmh all night (even though i was partly sheltered). So it wasnt a cold night at all.

I was wearing a pair of jeans, socks, t-shirt and light flannel shirt, no beany or gloves and i was in a dupont thermalite extreme sleeping bag. I had nothing stored in the clark pockets to trap more dead air.

Woke up a couple of times to go to the toilet but thats about it, had a great nights sleep. This wouldnt normally be the way in a tent, id wake up a heap of times so im pleased for a first night.

Having said this, i could feel small amounts of cold on the area's that i compressed with body weight, and it wasnt a cold night by any means, so im interested in seeing how id go in a colder night, and then to first fill the hammock pockets with stuff to see if it insulates any more.

Hope to hang again tonight, cheers Doz

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast