Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    I've found that an inflatable pad inside or an underquilt outside works better than just stuffing the pockets. Your mileage may vary, though. I've had my NX-250 down to around 25-30F (roughly -4 to -1C) and had no problems at all with a Thermarest and my 30F rated sleeping bag.
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Quote Originally Posted by molawns View Post
    I've found that an inflatable pad inside or an underquilt outside works better than just stuffing the pockets. Your mileage may vary, though. I've had my NX-250 down to around 25-30F (roughly -4 to -1C) and had no problems at all with a Thermarest and my 30F rated sleeping bag.
    thanks ML, this is the sort of stuff i need to hear from those who have them, i am thinking seriously about insulation in a number of ways, but the biggest is the weight and bulk of that insulation, thanks again
    Clark NX-250, Warbonnet Superfly, Custom made Down, Underground Underquilt. DIY Suspension & Continuous Ridgeline.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Thanksgiving

Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    I have never felt pinched in mine (52" chest) but as I mentioned I sleep at abour a 45 deg angle from flat on my back. Next time I am in it I will try to spend some time back-sleeping.

Demo has a point about the taughtness of the set - if too tight it might contribute to the pinching.

Jim
    Hey, jsaults, no shortage of room with that he-man chest AND all the Thanksgiving food that found its way south of there during your family gathering, when you volunteered to sleep under the shield of two fiberglass half-hoops?

But, seriously, can you generalize on a how a man sleeps in the Clark, not after a day of hiking, but at the end of days of eating? Comfortable? Does food substitute for, say, an inch of down thickness in warmth-keeping? Stuffing for stuffing, as it were?

All smilies implied.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    This afternoon i found an old sleeping bag (not the best) and went to the store and got some eyelets and punched steel holes in it and wound elastic cord all the way around. I still need to put in more eyelets yet but have it hung as an outer UQ and attached to my ridgeline to keep it where it should be.

i lay in it for not even a minute and the heat was remarkable. Im hanging tonight after this post and its windier and colder than the other night so i shall see how it goes.

in the compression sack it weighed in at 880 grams, at least i have a weight to compare it with for something like a yeti. hope to get some pics up of it in the next couple.

without doubt though,i do believe the nx250 will need an underquilt of some sort to accomodate even 5 deg C nights...at least for myself anyway.
    Clark NX-250, Warbonnet Superfly, Custom made Down, Underground Underquilt. DIY Suspension & Continuous Ridgeline.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    I just put in my second solid night in the hammock 12am -8:30am, and ive gotta say it......im a convert!

Im never going back to floor camping unless their were no trees or points to hang my hammock.

I woke up once...and that was to go to the toilet...and as i swung my feet out of the hammock i suddenly realized something.....im already upright.

Before when i had to go...and if i was going to get out of the tent i had to stand upright fully, with the hammock im already in a seated position...so easy and fast and less grueling after a day of hiking.

The makeshift UQ i had made stayed put and i was as toasty as they come, no clue of anything and sleeping like a baby.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    10X10 or 12X12
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner
    Suspension
    rings and straps
    Images
    Glad to hear the "homemade UQ" worked for you!
    Yesterday's tomorrow is tomorrow's yesterday. It's the only day that counts.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Quote Originally Posted by molawns View Post
    Glad to hear the "homemade UQ" worked for you!
    Thanks ML, gotta get a few more holes into it and adjust it some more and should be right to go, unfortunately last weigh in on it came in at 880grams, but not bad for a $15 quick fix, i think the bag would only be good for autumn to be honest though, pics up soon!

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Well Demo, I cannot speak to that.

I had plans to drive from WV to Paoli PA for a long weekend with friends but Thursday morning I awoke feeling puny. The prospect of a 8 hour drive kept me in bed most of the day.

But I have experience with sleeping in the CJH after a pot-luck dinner at a canoe gathering - After a short campfire and one tumbler of bourbon I slept like a baby. Of course, it matters not to me if the cradle is a CJH, WBBB, or HH. All my hammocks deliver a fine slumber.

Jim

Hammock
    Clark NX-250 Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Camo
    Ive finished the adapted old sleeping bag to UQ today, its a beauty, spose i should put the pics up in the UQ forum, take a look over there if your interested thanks

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    errrrr. I think you need to change your photo on your profile!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast