On a trial trip like this it makes sense to camp not far from the cars. I have a couple of locations in mind that offer some variety of elevation and protection. Best choice IMO would be temps in the 20s and shelter from the wind. Given the forecast, that should be pretty easy to manage.
I'll be bringing my usual Mt. Rogers rig, but will also have a new insulated hammock that I want to test out. It will be available as a back up or supplement (already insulated, but add your foot pad or UQ if needed.) If I have time I'll make a MacEntyre-style "dory-inspired" sock to go with it.
There are ample opportunities for day hikes. I have a couple of pairs of snowshoes and cross-country skis, but I doubt we'll have deep snow yet. Just setting up camp and cooking will be fun.