Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    If you always use a ridgeline, then why not just whip on a single length of webbing that runs from tree to tree - no sewing, no knots, no nothing.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The ridgeline supports less force, so you could use lighter cord for that section. Don't think that would make much of a difference, but you asked for a reason.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Actually I don't [I]always[I] use the ridgeline. For example, when I use it as a chair and when I can only use trees that are a tad too close, I remove it.

Actually I now use the suspension like slowhike has pictured, but slightly modified. since I now use a rolled end (instead of a gathered end), more like the Hennessey end I put the webbing in the middle of the material and then whip it all in place. But instead of having two loops like Slowhike I just have the one to attach my ridgeline and the other is a 4 meter length for my support. When I get home I will post the pictures, they are on my home PC. I haven't had the failure Slowhike had tho, maybe because the webbing is thicker?
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images

Update???

slowhike;

Any update on your experiments with whipped hammock ends?
    I like the idea of an un-doable tie as opposed to Ed Speer's overhand knot that becomes impossible to untie, but don't fancy being let down---least of all, several days from final take-out.
    bob

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    slowhike;

Any update on your experiments with whipped hammock ends?
    I like the idea of an un-doable tie as opposed to Ed Speer's overhand knot that becomes impossible to untie, but don't fancy being let down---least of all, several days from final take-out.
    i whip mine so you can take them apart. here's what i do.

run some string (mason line) through the end hem and cinch the hammock like closing a stuffsac. give yourself about a foot of tail on each end and use it to wrap around the balled up end, just below the hem stitches. just wrap it around a few times and tie it off. from here, you can just girth hitch your suspension line or webbing directly to it. you can easily switch out different suspensions, and to get back to non-end gathered fabric, you just carefully cut the string.

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i whip mine so you can take them apart. here's what i do.

run some string (mason line) through the end hem and cinch the hammock like closing a stuffsac.
    OK so far.
    give yourself about a foot of tail on each end and use it to wrap around the balled up end, just below the hem stitches.
    Huh??? You just lost me! Where id the "balled-up end" come from? I suspect that if I understood that last part, the remainder would become clear.
    just wrap it around a few times and tie it off. from here, you can just girth hitch your suspension line or webbing directly to it. you can easily switch out different suspensions, and to get back to non-end gathered fabric, you just carefully cut the string.
    bob

Images
    a pic. is worth 1000 words. just scroll down a bit.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t%2C+ridgeline

Hammock
    Modified Speer
    Tarp
    PenTarp, by OES
    Images
    Hmmmmm. Seems I've got a problem. The text of your link clearly indicates where I should be seeing a picture but all I see is about three completely blank lines; no link, no broken icon, no nothing. I've noticed this elsewhere on this forum, and yet many other threads show the indicated pictures. Wondering if the pix used pop-ups, I enabled pop-ups for hammockforums.net but that didn't help. Maybe it's just a price I pay for going online only with a Linux box running Firefox.
    bob

Images
    i dunno, basically just cinch the end. you will have several feet of string coming out each side of the cinched hem. cut it off to about a foot each so it will easier to tie a knot with. i just wrap them down and around the hem a couple times and tie tight, then cut off the excess. this leaves you with a mass of fabric, basically from the hem up. this is what you girth hitch with your suspension line/webbing. just try to get it even after wrapping the string down around the hem, you can it up before you pull the knot tight, you want it just a 1/4" (maybe not even that much) below the hem stitch. you will probably have to pull fabric one way or the other in spots to get the hem stitch consistent with the string all the way around the bundle.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
    Hmmmmm. Seems I've got a problem. The text of your link clearly indicates where I should be seeing a picture but all I see is about three completely blank lines; no link, no broken icon, no nothing. I've noticed this elsewhere on this forum, and yet many other threads show the indicated pictures. Wondering if the pix used pop-ups, I enabled pop-ups for hammockforums.net but that didn't help. Maybe it's just a price I pay for going online only with a Linux box running Firefox.
    The pics in his linked thread are hosted on photobucket. It sounds like you might have Firefox configured to only display images that are hosted on the same server as the page you are viewing, or perhaps you have photobucket blocked. Those are the two most obvious possibilities.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast