Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    @Backtrack, or any others that are having trouble adjusting their quilt, give me a call if you are at your wits end.

We rarely hear from customers that are not able to reach (or at least get very close to) the temperature rating on our underquilts. Many times they can get lower. Having said that, when they are not able to do so, it is almost always because the quilt is pulling away from the underside. Not because of compressed down. I always suggest tightening up the suspension first. As the temperature drops, the main suspension can relax a bit requiring an another adjustment for that temperature setting. This is because the main suspension is 14 feet long and if the cold weather affects it just a little, it can be significant to cause an issue. Fixing this can be as simple as adding another knot down from the stock setup that effectively shortens and therefore tightens the suspension.

Hangnout also makes a good point. Since the main suspension is focused on pulling quilt up from the long sides, and because the quilt is adjustable from end to end, you can sometimes get a slight "accordion" effect that can bunch up or shorten the underquilt. This can lead to some sagging in the center. If this does happen, it can sometimes help to try to straighten it out again. You can do this by making sure you slide the quilt by pulling it from the ends. Another idea is to utilize the loops at the corners of the fractional quilt as points to grab on to with some additional shock cord or extra line of some kind. That little bit of extra support is sometimes just what the doctor ordered.

Regarding draft collars. I have not used them in our quilts thus far because I rarely have customers that say they really wish we had them. Most people can get the quilts adjusted after some playing around with it. But, there are a number of people that DO have a harder time. This got me thinking and I know now that it is because there are so many different body types and so many different ways/positions that people lay in hammocks, that what works for some....does not work for others. So, in an effort to eliminate just a little more of the learning curve, we will soon be rolling out our 20 and 0 degree under quilts with draft collars. I do not have a set date when this will happen but some have already gone out (unofficially). There will be a slight weight penalty (approximately 1/2 ounce) but I think most people will like this change. I am also figuring out a "best way" for users with draft issues to retro fit their quilts with new draft collars.

Thanks everyone!

~Stormcrow
    Truth....yo' Crow))))))
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Yeah a +1 to what Stormcrow said. I have owned several Hammock Gear UQ and all of them have taken me below the rated temp while wearing proper insulation for that season. While at the same time the first time I used a 0 Phoenix I was very cold in the teens cause I did not have it snugged up against the hammock tight enough. I also generally put either my JRB sleeves or my Vest in between the hammock and UQ which I have found helps greatly in preventing CBS. Good luck with adjusting your quilt please let us know how it works out for you on your next trip.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I'm going to attack you cold problem from another standpoint which has increased my comfort a bit:

1) What were you wearing to bed? I've noticed that sleeping on my camp clothes reduces the ability of my body heat to effectively regulate the top quilt and under quilt system. I now sleep in my base layers (smartwool mid weight top and bottoms) and notice that my sleep system is well heated.

2) hydration and food intake? Eating a fatty diet for cold weather just before you snuggle in for the night has drastically increased my heat output for the night. Before I'd wake up hungry and cold. Now I have to rip the top quilt off me at night to stop from sweating in 20*F temps! If you wake up cold try to eat and drink something first. If that doesn't cure your problem look for equip set up error. Remember in colder temps your body is working overtime to regulate the heat and is burning a trememdous amount of calories to do so.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 single
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH/strap
    Images
    I ran into a situation about 6 weeks ago where my UQ was not keeping me warm to temps I had previously slept in. Several months back, I had started staking out the side pull outs in the hammock. Each hang I kept pulling it out 1-2" more. It made for a much flatter and even more comfortable hang. This was fine for the summer, but as the temperatures dropped, it left a larger air gap between the hammock and quilt, especially around the upper thighs to the lower back, even though the ends of the UQ were snug around the hammock (at the feet and head). This resulted in a bit of CBS.

I finally figured out what was happening, I loosened the staked side pull outs on the hammock, allowing the bottom to sag just enough to fill the gap and I was toasty again. Simple solution for me. May or may not be your situation.
    “Indian builds small fire and stays warm, white man builds big fire and stays warm collecting firewood”—unknown

“The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea”—Karen Blixen

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It sounds like you have an air leak. For an underquilt to be effective, it has to have a tight seal with the hammock. If it has gaps, it really doesn't matter what the rating is.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I backyard test a lot in the winter. This doesn't make up for a lot of different reasons on why you can be cold, but it gives me practice and a decent baseline. If I can't be warm in my backyard, then it ain't gonna get any better out in the woods. I'm also a cold sleeper and add 15 - 20 degrees to any winter quilt or underquilt rating in order to know that I'll be warm.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    one thing you should make sure isn't happen is the suspension isnt strung so tight it's pulling the uq up high on your sides which would pull the outer shell tight collapsing the baffles and not allowing the down to loft under you.
    If you have a differential cut on your underquilt, this won't happen.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I added "lifters" to my winter Yeti to assure it stays against my buttocks and back.
    It is about 2:40 in this video.....

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl , WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL TQ , HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Dutch
    Images
    Thanks again for everyone's input. Some very good ideas to help me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking the UQ and its proven record. I guess the main question I have was for the temp ratings on all quilts in general not just the UQ's I have. I have asked a couple quilt makers about the temp ratings per down fill and have gotten different responses. Looking at the "quilt matrix" has got me thinking about this with all of the sizes and fills. Just wanted to get positive input on user experiences on a wide range of UQ's offered. Looking foward to the backyard test this weekend!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    ive gotten to 31 with a Breeze summer UQ - considering it is sewn thru w/ 1.5" loft, i was quite suprised.

others have noted temps well below the 20 rating on the Freeze. I have taken it down to 22,23 no problems.

i remember being in a WM ultralight and being really cold @ 35 - bag is rated to 20. problem? dehydration.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast