Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Which hammock for fall camping?

I have two hammocks, a HH Explorer Deluxe (bottom entry) and an ENO DN. I'm curious about your thoughts on which might be the better hammock to use in cold weather, assuming I'm using the same standard HH ranfly to retain warmth regardless of hammock choice.

Here's my thinking... On the one hand, the ENO is probably lighter to carry, and there's no need for the bug netting of the HH in the cold. But, could the HH bug netting contribute any to keeping in warmth? I feel like air circulation in warm weather in the HH is worse than the ENO due to the netting. Is it then logical to think that the HH would be better in cold weather at keeping warmth in? Or, should I go with the ENO to save the hassle of the bug netting?

Part of my reason for asking is I may be in the market for some sort of underquilt if I decide to do late season camping. I want to know in advance which hammock I should get the underquilt for...

Thanks!

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    While I do love an open air hammock, in the winter months I feel the bug netting helps stop drafts. May be my imagination but being inclosed just feels warmer to me. Maybe Shug, King of Frigid Weather Hanging, will chime in with his experience.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I don't have an ENO DN, but I've got another cheap open air hammock, as well as my HH ED.

I've got to say, it seems warmer to me under the bug netting. For really cold weather, I'd still stick with the Explorer.

During the summer, I'd stick with the Explorer.

During the early spring and late fall, before it gets too cold but once the bugs stopping threatening to carry you away...that's when I'd be going netless.

I've also considered picking up an ENO DN for me, and one for my wife who has not yet hammocked...because I like the idea of hanging side by side and being able to reach out to each other. Yep, I'm a cheesy romantic....deal.

What are you using for insulation on these guys during the cold weather?

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Bug netting, over covers, winter "socks," and even tarps pitched low and close can all help create micro climate where dead air space helps preserve heat and keep you warmer.

A simple gathered-end hammock like ENO will still work fine as you can add any one of those accessories to it.

I use a gathered-end hammock year round because I like the versatility.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post

What are you using for insulation on these guys during the cold weather?
    Nothing right now. Or, I should say, I haven't done any cold weather camping in a hammock yet. Thus far (temps down to maybe 60 -- I'm a cold sleeper) I just have used a pad under me inside the HH, with a synthetic sleeping bag. I realize I'll need significantly more for going into cold weather (say, October or early November in Ohio), but wanted to get input on going with a HH bottom entry solution (either the Super Structure or something else?) or if I could go with the ENO and open up a wider number of underquilt options.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I've used my HH with a full under quilt and the bottom entry only really bites! As you get in and have to push it out of the way, you really have to fiddle with it to get the quilt back in place.... Really stinks when you have to do your business in the middle of the night! For this reason alone I'd use the other hammock.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Thanks!

Thanks for your feedback everyone. Looks like my suspicion that the bug netting might preserve some heat is supported. Now, to decide whether that amount of heat retention is worth selecting an underquilt that is custom-made for the HH. Ah, decisions decisions...

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    BMJ w/pullouts
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Huggers/whoopies
    Underquilts are wonderful. IMHO, they are far more comfortable than pads. That being said, underquilts also mean a whole lot of fiddling to get the fit right. It can be much easier to fiddle with an uq in an open hammock since you can reach both sides from within the hammock. If I need to adjust the right side of my Incubator while in my WBBB, I have to actually get out and walk around just to reach it.

If you don't mind pushing aside the uq for entry/exit from the HH, most underquilts will work well with either hammock, but as has already been mentioned, that can be a pain. Or you could go 2/3 or 3/4 length uq. I don't know if that would block the HH entry or not? If you do go that route, use a sit pad under your feet for insulation.
    "The Road goes ever on and on,
    Down from the door where it began.
    Now far ahead the Road has gone,
    And I must follow, if I can.
    Pursuing it with eager feet
    Until it joins some larger way
    Where many paths and errands meet.
    And whither then? I cannot say."
    ~Bilbo Baggins - LotR

• + New Posts