Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Slap Straps

noob question/sleeping bag UQ

So, seeing as how I have never hammocked in winter before. I have questions that can only be answered through experience. I would really like to either buy or DIY an UQ, but funds just don't allow either right now. Was thinking....why couldn't I use a 20* sleeping bag inside the hammock with a 0* sleeping bag on it that I would be in. I understand that you get better performance when you don't compress insulation, but this would give me 3 layers of sleeping bag underneath me. Plus I could always put my poncho liner in first for even more. Would this work for 20* weather? I would think so.

I was thinking about turning the 20* bag into an UQ, but it is only 36" wide. Was concerned with it not being wide enough. If I unzip it it is 72" wide but now it would only be one layer underneath me. Any suggestions?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    I made a semi-DIY under quilt out of an old synthetic sleeping bag. I purchased some down blankets off Craigslist for fairly cheap and then pulled the old insulation out and replaced it with down. Then I sewed grosgrain channels on all the sides and ran shock cord through them as suspension....I've used it to 27* so far with no problems. Hope that helps.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Suspension
    SLS/Whoopieslings
    How long did it take you to make the DIY under quilt. Going this weekend but haven't gotten a under quilt yet. Was considering sleeping on a reflective pad inside of a mummy bag for now. Its a pain to get into I know but its what i can get my hands on at the moment. Just curious.... Why won't the synthetic insulation work for a UQ?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I say try it out on a trip and see the results.....best way.
    Maybe toss a pad in if you have one.
    I love Georgia....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    1.9 SL DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    GuideGear12x12
    Insulation
    DIY Kmart UQ 550FP
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    If you are car camping, then suspend the sleeping bag under the hammock like you would an UQ. There are various threads on how to do that. I like this method: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=41140 I attached each corner of the sleeping bag to the suspension with tiny C clamps (remember I was car camping).

I have also tied larksheads to each corner of the sleeping bag and then tied the lines to the tree. This method was not as good.

I would also take a pad. They do not weigh much and will add warmth if your plan A fails.

Finally, try to set up in the backyard first.

Good luck. If you come up with a clever idea let us know.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
    How long did it take you to make the DIY under quilt. Going this weekend but haven't gotten a under quilt yet. Was considering sleeping on a reflective pad inside of a mummy bag for now. Its a pain to get into I know but its what i can get my hands on at the moment. Just curious.... Why won't the synthetic insulation work for a UQ?
    Was probably a few hours of work if you don't take into account the time to drive and pick up the comforters. The synthetic would work fine, but it's heavier and bulkier.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Slap Straps
    Came across two down comforters @ Goodwill the other day. Not sure of down quality but I got both of them for $10 all together. Just bought 5 yards of 66" 1.6 oz Ripstop Nylon to make my underquilt with. Thinking about just leaving the comforters together and covering them with the nylon. I am sure that this isn't ideal, but I don't think that I will have enough time to make baffles or that there is enough down in them to begin with. Would hate to tear them apart only to find out I am short on down. Will keep looking for more down in the meantime.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    If you've got time and money to make the UQ...that would be awesome and hopefully serve you well.

Honestly, if you've got a 20* bag and a 0* bag...spend 10 bucks at Kmart or walmart and pick up a closed cell pad, and use one of those two sleeping bags, and/or your poncho liner in there as well.

Might not be as spiffy and comfy as a UQ...but your odds of success are a lot higher and it might give you some more time to make your UQ the way you want it.

Just a thought...nothing at all against UQs...just suggesting an alternate path you might not have thought of.

• + New Posts